Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Degrees scare employers? Watch

• View Poll Results: First or 2:1, considering advice given?
    First
    90.91%
    2:1
    9.09%

ReputationRep:
    Well one of my friends was talking to a carrears advisor the other day, and she told him not to get a first degree at uni because it "scares" employers, and that you should go for a 2:1.

I have also seen this mentioned on this forum and several other places in RL.

I want to go for a first when I go to uni, and a lot of jobs do require a first, so wouldn't it totally depend on what job you want to get as to weather a first degree would intimidate employers?

But also I don't see why anyone would be scared of people who are well qualified, what could the problem be? I only see benefits involved.

And since I want to get a first in economics, the jobs I am looking to get would be ones which recommend a first, such as an economist, stock market dealer/trader and a stockbroker.

Is this good advice? Or should me and my friend go for the first degrees we were planning on getting anyway?

Also, could someone explain why anyone would be intimidated by employing someone with a first degree?

ReputationRep:
    If you try for a first, you may well get a 2.1 anyway... if trying for a 2.1, you're more likely than if trying for a first to get a 2.2 or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Well one of my friends was talking to a carrears advisor the other day, and she told him not to get a first degree at uni because it "scares" employers, and that you should go for a 2:1.

I have also seen this mentioned on this forum and several other places in RL.

I want to go for a first when I go to uni, and a lot of jobs do require a first, so wouldn't it totally depend on what job you want to get as to weather a first degree would intimidate employers?

But also I don't see why anyone would be scared of people who are well qualified, what could the problem be? I only see benefits involved.

And since I want to get a first in economics, the jobs I am looking to get would be ones which recommend a first, such as an economist, stock market dealer/trader and a stockbroker.

Is this good advice? Or should me and my friend go for the first degrees we were planning on getting anyway?

Also, could someone explain why anyone would be intimidated by employing someone with a first degree?
    Absolute ********. If you get a first, it'll show you've put in the time and effort, and that you actually have a thorough understanding of your subject. That careers advisor should be named and shamed, and should lose their job for spouting such utter ******** to students. Imagine telling students NOT to try their hardest? What the ****?
    Just becuase you have a first doesn't mean that you're a no life geek who spends all their days with their heads in the books. It is entirely possible to have a perfectly healthy work/life balance and still achieve a first.
    Sorry, but hearing things like this really does **** me off. I worked my ass off for my first, and still made sure I maintained a great social life. I'd love to see what qualifications this careers advisor has, I doubt they even went to uni.

So in short, no a first will NOT put off ANY employer. A first will get you preference for an interview, and then it is your interview which will determine whether you get the job. If you come across as a well presented, enthusiastic young person, then you'll get the job. When a company's recruitment team look through CVs, they're essentially allocating points to each CV. The top X amount of CVs get interviewed. A first will put you high up in that list, and will increase the likelihood of being asked to come for an interview. Employers spend less than 2 minutes reading a CV (I think I read 30 seconds somewhere). Do you REALLY think they're going to spark a huge debate, wondering if your first could have larger implications on your social life and future with the company? No!

You've also said that a first is a specified requirement for the job you're looking for. This should convince you to ignore that insane advice. If you don't get your first, you won't get that job. This is especially true in this extremely tough job market, where your acheivements and qualifications are much more important due to stiff competition and limited job vacancies.
    Please don't put another moment's thought into that insane advice. It would be career suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, logic and my own lecturers tell me the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    A first is a really good thing. If it scares an employer, then that shouldn't be the type of place you want to work (unless you want to work somewhere that doesn't have high aspirations)

A first show intelligence, committment, determination and an ability to work hard. It also makes it easier to get accepted to top postgrads which may be a consideration. The idea of deliberately not getting a first is ridiculous. If you can get a first then you should. It's a tough jobs market out there so every little thing you have that makes you look better (such as a first over a 2.1) is a help.

ReputationRep:
    I hope OP is a troll and not just backwards

ReputationRep:
    Some employers may think that those with a first lack the social skills to interact with fellow employees and others they might meet in day-to-day life... Having a life and being intelligent are inextricably linked in an employers mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I hope OP is a troll and not just backwards
    Not trolling at all, seriously thats what my friends carrears advisor said.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I never was going to listen to what they said in the first place, but I was curious because I've heard it more than once and it was really starting to bug me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_Bugger_its_Hitler)
    Some employers may think that those with a first lack the social skills to interact with fellow employees and others they might meet in day-to-day life... Having a life and being intelligent are inextricably linked in an employers mind!
    Last time I checked, interviews were put in place to determine the suitability of a potential employee in person. That's a pretty good starting point when it comes to finding out how social they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Not trolling at all, seriously thats what my friends carrears advisor said.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I never was going to listen to what they said in the first place, but I was curious because I've heard it more than once and it was really starting to bug me.
    I don't think youshould dismiss that advice entirely, most feel that uni is just as much about life experience as it is about education, so by all means aim for that 1st or 2:1, but also go out and make lots of friends, as that will have the most benefit in the long run during life... connections are everything

(Original post by DaneCook)
    Last time I checked, interviews were put in place to determine the suitability of a potential employee in person. That's a pretty good starting point when it comes to finding out how social they are.
    Yes, but somebody who hasn't spent 3 entire years with their head buried in books will make a better impression than somebody who is social IRL

ReputationRep:
    What nonsense!

Whoever has been telling you that is clearly trying to reduce his competition.

ReputationRep:
    Just do your best.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think youshould dismiss that advice entirely, most feel that uni is just as much about life experience as it is about education, so by all means aim for that 1st or 2:1, but also go out and make lots of friends, as that will have the most benefit in the long run during life... connections are everything

Yes, but somebody who hasn't spent 3 entire years with their head buried in books will make a better impression than somebody who is social IRL

I never said I wasn't going to have a social life there at all. I'm just not going to drink or anything, and make sure it doesn't cut into the time I need to study.

ReputationRep:
    I had an awesome social life and got a first. I think it's an excuse for students to be lax with what they hand in.. Doesn't bother me, it makes mt First look all the better.

On my placement year they hired a lab technician who had a 3rd class. I was involved in a discussion whereby it was implied that the management preferred not to take on "high flyers" as lab techs since it was a repetitive and dull, and having staff with fewer prospects would improve their staff turnover. Take from that what you will..

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think anyone sane who's been in full time employment or tried to get onto competitive graduate schemes would even entertain the idea of dropping a degree grade for appearances sake.

ReputationRep:
    It is entirely possible to get a first without being antisocial. It's simply a matter of appropriate time management and assessing priorities. You'll realise this when you start uni; it's not like A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    lol just because dumb people like to spread rumours about people who are cleverer than they are having no social skills doesn't mean you need to believe them

its obvious that its a load of crap, think before you speak!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's much of a problem - as long as you have evidence of both academic and non-academic activities from which you can demonstrate a desired skill set. Also, the socially inept will be weeded out at the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    Something I forgot to say earlier:
    Don't assume that people who have Firsts are socially inept or spent their entire time in the books. A first with no evidence of a social life or extra curriculars does not look at all that good. Most employers don't care if you have a first but can't prove teamwork/leadership etc (not for most jobs, but for a lot of them) In cases like these, a 2.1 candidate may be preferable. It doesn't mean that the fact someone had a first meant that they weren't appreciated, but that the person with a 2.1 was a better fit in general.

But, it is achievable to get a first and do lots of other things, when I was an undergrad I had lots of extra curriculars and still got a first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.