Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i say, stab student finance in the groin, that'll teach them.

ReputationRep:
    I just have no idea what's going on with mine anymore...I sent off everything in April and about six weeks ago they wrote to say I was getting the full loan - no mention of a grant or anything, even though I'd sent off all the evidence and everything to be income-assessed. As it was Friday I figured I'd wait until Monday and then give them a call to ask what they were playing it. I called them and they said (when I *finally* got through) that it was to make sure I got at least some money because they hadn't assessed my application yet and didn't want me to miss out if they took too long.

Then about three weeks ago I got another letter saying they'd re-assessed my application and I qualified for a loan but had to send off the form. So I duly signed it and sent it off and then this week got a letter saying 'We sent you a form to fill out and haven't received it so we're sending you another'. I waited a couple of days to see if my online status would change (maybe it was just backlog) but it still hasn't so just in case I'm going to send the new letter off again tomorrow.

I'm just really not impressed. If the reason they haven't got my form yet is because they haven't got around to opening the envelope yet, why waste the time and effort sending me another one? It's like the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing and it's so annoying. I *need* the money, I cannot afford to start uni without it. They'd just better get it dealt with soon.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    Is there any point in resending the stuff then? Surely it will be in their huge pile of documents and they will eventually get around to it.
    Well I sent it off again accompanied with a letter because I wanted to query something and I wasn't able to get through on the phone (apparently my birthday isn't my birthday so I don't know my PIN) and they'd taken the online support off too.

ReputationRep:
    My experience is, i filled out the form online very early (day it came online i believe).

I ticked non income-assessed (which seems to be where the problem is people are having)

I wont get a grant so assessed just means i lose out on the loan.

They then sent me a form for accepting the maintenance loan, a form for the tuition fee loan, and a form just to accept the overall thing basically.

No birth certificate or anything, so non-income assessed seems to have the benefit of saving you a load of hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Well I sent it off again accompanied with a letter because I wanted to query something and I wasn't able to get through on the phone (apparently my birthday isn't my birthday so I don't know my PIN) and they'd taken the online support off too.
    I have the same problem, to get around it when it asks for your reference number just press 1 about 20 times and you'll get the hold music then someone will answer.

On another note, i applied for the full loan and a grant sent in all the evidence, they got back to me saying i can have a bit of a loan and no grant because i hadn't submitted any evidence!
    Furious i rang them, got told hold on a week or two. Emailed them. Got an email back, apparently my husband is supporting my application so i dont need my parents to submit evidence!!
    2 things, 1 my parents don't need to submit evidence because im completely independent and have been for near 4 years and 2, im not gay or married!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKERS :mad:

im now thinking of deffering because i really dont think ill be able to live of what they have offered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sean_M)
    On another note, i applied for the full loan and a grant sent in all the evidence, they got back to me saying i can have a bit of a loan and no grant because i hadn't submitted any evidence!
    I didnt send any evidence in and i got the full loan :confused: i chose non-income assessed because they assess the loan as well even though you only get a little bit of a grant.

Which is naughty really.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think the worst thing was when they sent my mum's original documents back to the wrong address... that was pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into 2nd year, and I filled in the online application before the deadline and they said on there and in an e-mail after that I didn't need to provide my parents' finance info again to get assesed for the grant...and then I received a letter today saying that they can't carry out the full financial assesment because I haven't provided enough information? When they told me I didn't need to do anything else?

Has this happened to anyone here? I'm not sure whether it's just a case of them being slow or what... They're so confusing.

ReputationRep:
    This seems to be getting worse and worse with each day....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    This seems to be getting worse and worse with each day....
    I really feel for you. Haven't they sent you anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    I really feel for you. Haven't they sent you anything?
    Six months, 3 complaints letters (two of them gone unasnwered), one request for Independent Review (ignored) and 4 letters to MP later - I only have been NON INCOME assessed. Writing to Watchdog and seeing a lawyer are the next two steps. This has become ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    Six months, 3 complaints letters (two of them gone unasnwered), one request for Independent Review (ignored) and 4 letters to MP later - I only have been NON INCOME assessed. Writing to Watchdog and seeing a lawyer are the next two steps. This has become ridiculous...
    :eek: Six months?! wow I can totally understand your frustrations. I've been waiting for 3. It's going to be 4 tomorrow for income assessed. I don't even think their staff are full informed. They always seem to give generic answers. I've given up to the point that I don't care any more. I just wish there was a national debate on this. Did you send back the declaration form back?

ReputationRep:
    Not been waiting as long as you, but same sort of thing. Just had the letter saying that I've not been income assessed because they don't have sufficient financial evidence. Despite both my parents doodahs on the student finance online saying they had sufficient information, and the guy on the phone confirming they had sufficient information, and them sending all the information they asked for back on the same ******* day as the letter saying they didn't have it. They're a complete joke. As it stands I simply can't afford to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be saying the same thing, saying that they wont be income assessed because they haven't got the financial evidence. My mum rang last night, and they said that they are saying that is because they are so far behind processing applications that they havent received the financial evidence, so everyone will go to uni with non income assessed money, and the rest will come once they've processed it . :/ How can they let a company like that get so far behind, it's not like they shouldn't have expect hundreds of thousands of students to be applying, they should have provisions in place.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had any problems with them so they get a nice thumbs up from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    No birth certificate or anything, so non-income assessed seems to have the benefit of saving you a load of hassle
    Also has the downside of some people (like me) just can't afford to go to uni without the income assessed thingy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, just been on the directgov/student finance website and they have taken the phone number off the site! Luckily I have it written down!

I agree that they are unbelieveably bad. Phoned them last week and they have not got any record of receiving my paper application but "that's not unusual as we might not have got round to processing it yet" :eek3:

What's worse is, in my local paper a few weeks ago around 30 of the staff at student finance went on a charity hike for the entire Fri/Sat/Sun weekend! They should be in that office working their arses off, not jollying it round the countryside!

I have a feeling I shall be calling them again this weekend...

ReputationRep:
    Plus, what the hell was with the music they play when they have you on hold? It horrendous.
    Isn't it Four Seasons (Spring) by Bach?..

ReputationRep:
    I applied three months ago, have sent them my passport details five times now (this is the only thing they need from me, as I'm 25 and therefore don't need to provide financial evidence) and they even manage to lose the form when sending it by recorded delivery. I'm told different things every time I call them, no one seems to know what they're talking about (even supervisors) and I generally just f*cking hate them! Anyway, I got so fed up that I wrote to my M.P - he wrote back straight away and is now dealing with it on my behalf. I would advise anyone to do the same. Oh - and SIGN THE PETITION!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Also has the downside of some people (like me) just can't afford to go to uni without the income assessed thingy.
    I mentioned this point in my email to the M.P - he thought that this was a very valid point and is passing my email on to the Minister for Universities. He promised to let me know what his response was, so I will let you all know!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.