Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I am looking to do the Geography edexcel A level exam but I dont know much about the exam (I am not from the UK). can some one tell me how the exam is divided (how many papers do you sit for? what modules are in each paper?) also does anyone know where I can get a copy of the syllabus from? any other info would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carly_23)
    hi
    I am looking to do the Geography edexcel A level exam but I dont know much about the exam (I am not from the UK). can some one tell me how the exam is divided (how many papers do you sit for? what modules are in each paper?) also does anyone know where I can get a copy of the syllabus from? any other info would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

On this page there is the specification which has everything you need to learn and the course structure (see page 11 of document for course structure) and also click "Exemplars for the new GCE2008 question paper template" to look at some question papers. The new specification only started this year so if you were to look at question papers on www.freeexampapers.com for example, they would be the old specification and of no use to you. So you only have the exemplar papers from the Edexcel website to help you really. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    whats the differance between an Alevel and an A2??

ReputationRep:
    whats the differance between an Alevel and an A2??
    In the first year you take the AS level exams (2 units). In the second year you take the A2 exams (2 units). Together this makes the whole A level (although an AS level is a qualification on its own - half of an A level - but you couldn't just have the A2 units on their own). However you can take the exams at the same time if you wanted; it doesn't matter when you do them, you just have to have done all 4 of the units. Some schools do leave all of the exams until the end of the second year.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for clearing that up!! i just have one more question...is there any coursework you have to do or have they removed it (ie is it completely exam based)?
    thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for clearing that up!! i just have one more question...is there any coursework you have to do or have they removed it (ie is it completely exam based)?
    thanks for all your help!
    I don't do the course myself but it says on page 12 of the specification:

Unit 4:
    Geographical
    Research
    A2 1 hour and 30 minute examination.
    Research focus material will be pre-released to candidates
    as advance information four working weeks before the
    examination via the Edexcel website (www.edexcel.org.uk).
    Candidates will be given a list of questions based on the six
    options. Candidates will select and answer one question
    that relates to the option they have studied. They will be
    required to write a long essay in which they demonstrate and
    synthesise the results of their research.
    Each question is out of 70 marks.
    Candidates will not be able to take any pre-released or
    research materials into the examination.
    This is not coursework as such but it suggests that you have to do your own research which you then talk about in the exam.
    I think my best advice to you would be to find an A-level centre in your country (if there is one) and ask them to help you with doing the A-level. A lot of passing A level exams is exam technique as well as having the knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    hi there ive took this AS course and hoping to continue it on at ALevel. there are two units which you can study in AS Level. the first unit which you have to study is global challenge which is mandatory this unit of work is more enjoyable and it covers human and physical reasons on how trade is different in different areas. and the second unit which you have to do is geographical investigations in this unit you have four topics and you need two topics for the exam on human topic and one physical topic this unit is much harder as the exam is only one hour and you have to write 6 essays, you also have to do fieldwork for this exam. if you want you can give me your email address and i will send you the work for unit 1 but i only have the work for the physical side and i also have all the work for the second unit at AS these should help ease your mind and let you see what work you mayb required to do for the AS Level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 13, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.