Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Mine are giving me a £65 a month allowance when I'm at uni, paying for my accommodation and either helping me out with/paying off completely my student loan when I leave. I feel extremely lucky when reading lots of threads full of people who have to pay for everything for university themselves... wondered what an average x-section of TSR would yield about how much parents tend to contribute to an offspring's uni life?

ReputationRep:
    My parents can't afford to help me. My dad was made redundant a the beginning of the year so I sent in a current year assessment. So apart from their documents, nothing :grin:

In my oppinon you're extremely lucky. Although I imagine there's quite a bit of pressure for you to succeed. I'm the only one in my family ever to attend university so it's exciting for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    They'll help me out if I get really short of money, but they can't afford to keep giving me money every week. So I'll have to rely on loan and wages.

ReputationRep:
    Zilch. They'll probably help me out a little if I've miscalculated my budget and spend too much, but there's nothing that'll be given to me on a monthly basis or anything.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is struggling to support herself, so nothing. All my student loan has to go on rent, food and bills, and I will have to dip in to my bank overdraft too, so I'm gonna be completely skint!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at all jealous of you OP!! :mad: It's all down to me; I'll get the repayable student loan for maintenance, no bursary, no help form bank of mum and dad/ grandparents either, I MUST find a job as soon as I get there

ReputationRep:
    I am EXTREMELY lucky - my family are helping me out hugely with my finances. Mainly because I am a graduate entrant onto my course so am liable for huge tuition fees (basically there's no way I could do it without them).

ReputationRep:
    My dad's been saving for me to go to uni ever since I was born. Literally. Well just saving for me, but then when it became apparent I wanted to go it turned into uni money. Now he doesn't earn much though so I'll get the full grants and loans too. I'm very lucky really.

ReputationRep:
    Not a thing, my parents are separated recently and my dad now has to pay for his own flat which he can barely afford, and my mum's just been made redundant... So i'm pretty much on my own... Unless i get into serious trouble of course

ReputationRep:
    My parents are paying for my living costs but i feel bad especially at this time (current economic climate). i really want them to keep the money and maybe use it for my sister or themselves... i dont want them to go into debt because im going to uni, it should be me not them =p

ReputationRep:
    Precisely zero, and I wouldn't want their help either. They've fed, clothed and housed me for 18 years, they've spent more than enough on me. Going to university is my chance to get away from them and their rules and control, taking money off them would just leave me pretty much as dependant as ever. I want to make my own life and look after myself, so I'll support myself too, ta very much.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. Zilch. Rien. Nada.

ReputationRep:
    My parents said they'd give me a 'lump sum' at the beginning of the year. How much this is is I have no idea. It's my birthday in September so I might get some more money here and there frm relatives. My grandma has given my mum a check for £200 for Uni. I still want to get a job when I get to Uni though because I just feel so guilty

ReputationRep:
    nothing

ReputationRep:
    Ziltch for my sister, so I guess the same for me.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, apart from the odd loan when I'm skint.

ReputationRep:
    I don't qualify for any grants as my parents earn too much, yet they're giving me zilch, zipple, nothing. And that's the way I like it, I prefer being independent and not relying on handouts. They worked hard to earn their money, it's only fair that they should spend it on themselves after having me living in their house eating all the biscuits and good flavoured yoghurt's for the past 19 years :P

All of it

ReputationRep:
    my parents are giving me about £50 a month and they are going to pay for all my food expenses with a separate amount, i live about 45 mins from the uni i want to go to and my mum works 30 mins away so ill just phone her when i have to go shopping and she'll come over and take me shopping. my student loan doesn't even cover my accomodation so they are going to do as uch as they can. they done the same with my older sister and she lived in wales

ReputationRep:
    My parents are contributing hugely - I'm an only child and they've been saving for years in order to do so. We don't qualify for any grants and it's worse because my uni charges maximum tuition fees - I feel bad about going to England as staying in Scotland would mean we wouldn't have to pay any fees, but I know how lucky I am that they're offering to do that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.