Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I don't qualify for any grants as my parents earn too much, yet they're giving me zilch, zipple, nothing. And that's the way I like it, I prefer being independent and not relying on handouts. They worked hard to earn their money, it's only fair that they should spend it on themselves after having me living in their house eating all the biscuits and good flavoured yoghurt's for the past 19 years :P
    I'm the same however I'm going onto a Masters in September and my parents are loaning me the money as we have to pay in 2 installments that I couldnt afford all at once. I'll be paying them back an amount monthly though over 2 years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Zero. My parents can't afford to help me out, but I know they would if they could. I work full time in the holidays instead, which at Christmas and Easter has a bit of a negative affect on my work .

I also get no grants, no bursary and the minimum amount of loan. Wondering how I'm going to manage to feed myself next year...

ReputationRep:
    emmm zip zilch nada, they struggle as it is, my student loan covers accommodation and ill get a job as soon as i get there and will have to live off of my overdraft for a while as i have no savings

ReputationRep:
    My mum's said she's gonna put some money in my bank account every month. I've told her not to since i've got enough to keep me for the first year in my bank anyway. She insists, so I won't object anymore :P

I'll be looking out for a part-time job whilst i'm there anyway

ReputationRep:
    I moved out when I was 17 so I've been self sufficient since then. I get my student loan etc based on my own income and have a full time job over the summer to pay for my student house.

ReputationRep:
    £0.00

I have a friend who didn't even know about student loans as his parents are paying for everything. It bugs me seeing people so spoilt, if your parents are going to pay you through they should at least let you live off your loan and then pay it off at the end for you. If you can't learn to budget at university instead of living off handouts and spoon-feeding then you'll be a 22 / 23 year old who is still a spoilt child.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing really, my parents said they'll try and give me a tenner here and there when i'm desperate. Then again i'm getting the max grant and have saved some from my job so should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    £0.00

I have a friend who didn't even know about student loans as his parents are paying for everything. It bugs me seeing people so spoilt, if your parents are going to pay you through they should at least let you live off your loan and then pay it off at the end for you. If you can't learn to budget at university instead of living off handouts and spoon-feeding then you'll be a 22 / 23 year old who is still a spoilt child.
    I wouldnt be able to live with myself if I got everything paid for me like that, Student Finance are supposed to give us enough money after all and if they dont we should just get a job.

I get nothing apart from various family members insisting they buy me towels, bed sheets, stuff like that and I dont even want them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Mine are giving me a £65 a month allowance when I'm at uni, paying for my accommodation and either helping me out with/paying off completely my student loan when I leave. I feel extremely lucky when reading lots of threads full of people who have to pay for everything for university themselves... wondered what an average x-section of TSR would yield about how much parents tend to contribute to an offspring's uni life?
    I have a student loan, but I only get 75% of the full one.
    I get £150 in cash money
    Credit card for anything else.

So yeah not much

ReputationRep:
    My parents will be paying for my accomodation when I go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    £0.00

I have never had the need to go out work, as I have had other stuff to do.

Its not the children's fault that they can get what they want- perhaps more down to the parenting.. For me university is cheaper than what my school fees were.

ReputationRep:
    Daddy is paying every single penny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WFP Sausage)
    I get nothing apart from various family members insisting they buy me towels, bed sheets, stuff like that and I dont even want them to do that.
    Same, well I have a few towels and crockery sets :P

ReputationRep:
    My mum & dad gave me £75 a month each last year, since I was really struggling with the minimum loan, however I think I'll tell them to stop this year (or at least reduce it) as I should be getting a bigger loan (my dad moved out) and my mum is really struggling with money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    I have never had the need to go out work, as I have had other stuff to do.

Its not the children's fault that they can get what they want- perhaps more down to the parenting.. For me university is cheaper than what my school fees were.
    That's what I mean, parents aren't really letting their kids grow up and become independent if they pay everything at once without letting their son / daughter manage it themselves.

I hate the idea of my parents paying me through. It would make me feel like I owe them, like I am still theirs instead of my own person. It would make me feel like a child still whenever I'm an adult.

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees paid by parents
    Accomodation paid by me but they have said they'll contribute towards food

ReputationRep:
    They loan me money for my accommodation as my gov loan wont cover it

ReputationRep:
    Im doing it myself, nothing from my parents. I'll feel satisfied in 10 years that I can say that I did it all myself with no help from anyone and Ill have a great qualification to show for it. My mum works part-time and shes a single parent so based on principle, even if she offered to give me money, i would turn it down. My dad is well off earning thousands of pounds commission each month on top of his generous sallary, but again I wouldn't want the help.

ReputationRep:
    Got a feeling my Dad will send me up some money every now and then, although we've not discussed it really.

My Nan is really going over-board on buying stuff for uni though, i'm the first in the family to go so she's really spoiling me, everytime I go to see her she has something new for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pannell90)
    Got a feeling my Dad will send me up some money every now and then, although we've not discussed it really.

My Nan is really going over-board on buying stuff for uni though, i'm the first in the family to go so she's really spoiling me, everytime I go to see her she has something new for me!
    Gotta admit ... My nans doin the same lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.