Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am estranged from my family, so have been assessed as an independent student, which means I get the full loan, but no grant, so I have to pay it all back at the end:mad:
    Obviously my parents won't be contributing anything, and i'm planning to get a job while I'm there, and will doubtless have to max my overdraft.
    The grim thing is, my family are very well off, and my grandmother had been saving since I was born for me to go to Uni, and she wrote me a letter to say that unless I went back home, I wouldn't see a penny, which is fair enough, but ugh, all that money I could have had if only my mum hadn't been such a *****!

ReputationRep:
    I'm living with my mum when I'm at Uni.

She isn't giving me any money or anything but she is giving me a house, giving me food etc.

ReputationRep:
    £50 a week standing order into my account. Also paying for accommodation for the first year.

ReputationRep:
    I am only taking a loan for tuition fees.

They have saved for 18 years, though.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are paying for my accommodation (up to 4.5k), and contributing to other living expenses. I have the minimum maintainence loan, and it is likely I will get pittance for NHS busaries (only doing it so I can claim back my travel or living expenses when I'm on placement) so I need their help. They've been saving since before I was born, and my mum's contributing part of her bonus too. I'm very grateful.
    On a side note I have no course fees, so my student finance situation after uni won't be too bad.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    My mum is struggling to support herself, so nothing.
    Likewise.

ReputationRep:
    they're giving me nothing, but as im doing a allied health degree (radiography) I get a SMA bursary, so overall im looking at £480 a month so I should be ok without them.

ReputationRep:
    Grandparents have been saving for me so I'll get that over the three years. Minus money for stuff for my first year.

Mum's got an ISA for me and my sister so I've got half of that and there's money going in to it each month.

Got a loan for fees, accommodation and I get a partial grant from my mum's income and my sister is a dependent since she's 12 xD

Dad is paying for my phone.

Branch transfer from my job hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Since my old man's on the dole, I wouldn't take anything even if he offered. I'm considering paying the folks for bed and board in the summer as well.

ReputationRep:
    nothing, they've got 3 other children to support :p:
    Although it has been said to me, if I ever need any help they will give me some money although I wouldn't want to ask for any

ReputationRep:
    £0 a year, for the grand total of 4 years.

£40k of student debt, here I come.

My student loan doesn't even cover my accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    My parents can't afford to help me. My dad was made redundant a the beginning of the year so I sent in a current year assessment. So apart from their documents, nothing :grin:

In my oppinon you're extremely lucky. Although I imagine there's quite a bit of pressure for you to succeed. I'm the only one in my family ever to attend university so it's exciting for everyone.
    That's my situation too. Well, except for the redundancy. My dad and his Mrs just had a baby, so all their money is gong on nappies right now. I'm going to be on my own!

ReputationRep:
    They will be paying my full tuition fees for the first three years since I have to pay the extremely expensive international student fees (even though I'm a British national ). I feel so guilty though.

ReputationRep:
    God bless my dad he's offered to pay £10/month for my phone bill and any books I need from Waterstones which I can't find in charity shops or the library. Plus he's giving me driving lessons, and whenever I need paper for the printer he happily swipes it from work (don't worry I'm not risking him getting sacked - he's allowed lol). I love my dad I do
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They paid for my tuition, accommodation, and most of my living expenses. Amazingly, I couldn't afford £18,000 a year on my own when I was 17-20. They're paying my tuition for my master's.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    £0. They can't afford to contribute anything because I earn about as much as them both combined in my 12 hour a week shelf stacking job (sometimes more if I'm given enough overtime).

ReputationRep:
    Theyre not charging me housekeeping. I think Im lucky for that although its not like Im making any money to save, it all goes on petrol/car/books etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Theyre not charging me housekeeping. I think Im lucky for that although its not like Im making any money to save, it all goes on petrol/car/books etc.
    Ditto. I give my mum £20 a week from what i earn. I'm staying at home and will have to travel 40 miles to get to uni. If there's anything left from my £75 a week loans/grants then it will goto mum.

As other guys have said, they've kept me for 20 years. i like giving my mum money.

It'll all be worth it :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    £0 a year, for the grand total of 4 years.

£40k of student debt, here I come.

My student loan doesn't even cover my accommodation.
    Exactly this.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.