Turn on thread page Beta

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? watch

Announcements

Zero.

Potentially far more than I could ever repay them - I am very grateful and lucky to have them! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    Zilch. They'll probably help me out a little if I've miscalculated my budget and spend too much, but there's nothing that'll be given to me on a monthly basis or anything.
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    My parents are paying for my tuition fees and will give me a weekly/monthly allowance to pay for food and what not altohugh we haven't discussed how much yet.

I, meanwhile am taking a loan out to cover accomodation rent etc and am saving up money from my summer job to fund some of my expenses whilst I'm at uni. I want to get a job whilst I'm there to help too as I feel guilty my parents are paying out twice as much in tuition fees because I'm not going to a Welsh uni with half fees.

I do consider myself very lucky though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    That's what I mean, parents aren't really letting their kids grow up and become independent if they pay everything at once without letting their son / daughter manage it themselves.

I hate the idea of my parents paying me through. It would make me feel like I owe them, like I am still theirs instead of my own person. It would make me feel like a child still whenever I'm an adult.
    Well, my father came from nothing to something, earning a great amount, I guess he didnt want me to go through the same..

But what I find frustrating is that people can get so much from the government up to £3000 sometimes!

I always have to justify what I have so yeah- I should get my own money etc.. its always easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    All of it
    oh you typical indian child you LOL

im relying on grants loans etc and my part time job. ive a saved a lil bit tht will probably see me thru til xmas as apparentyl first term is always the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    nothingg. actually i'm a liar, they paid my accomodation deposit, bless them. i know they can't afford it and so i would never ask, but i'm so panicked about how i'm going to pay for the next three years. i wanted to do four years but there is no way on earth i can fund that. my student loan also doesnt even cover my accomodation. i'm also leaving a perfectly good job which gives me lots of hours and therefore plenty of money to live off of just to move down there.. so job hunting here i come!

ReputationRep:
    One set of grandparents has died so mum said she is happy give me enough of her portion of the house sale to cover my accomodation, which I feel v.lucky to have. I also get DLA due to my severe dyspraxra and mild cp. That will probably cover my living costs every month.

ReputationRep:
    £410 a month (8 months a year), paying my TV Licence, will buy me things which will are on offer in shops every now and then e.g. tins of food or w/e, they'll help me out if I need to borrow like a tenner. I'm extremely greatful and have told them on a number of occasions they don't have too, but they won't take no for an answer =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    But what I find frustrating is that people can get so much from the government up to £3000 sometimes!
    Why? You have to be from a very low income to get £3000 from the government, it's an attempt to make the playing field a bit more level between people like yourself who will have everything paid for and people who will receive absolutely nothing because their parents cannot (instead of will not) help them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Mine are giving me a £65 a month allowance when I'm at uni, paying for my accommodation and either helping me out with/paying off completely my student loan when I leave. I feel extremely lucky when reading lots of threads full of people who have to pay for everything for university themselves... wondered what an average x-section of TSR would yield about how much parents tend to contribute to an offspring's uni life?
    Nothing I'm guessing, the goverment will pay the majority for all the students here anyway because we're classed as international students, and I think my mum's worked out every little trick to get the goverment to give us money due to her being a single parent but nope, think it'll be working full time in the summer to fund it, or go to an exteremly cheap uni.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing as I'm an independant student. But due to my disability and getting IB and DLA for over 28 weeks (got a shock when I saw the letter from JCP and it started April 2007!) I'm also eligible for full loan, full special support grant thing AND they don't take any of my loan off cos of my grant, cos I have very little income and I still have to pay for stuffs myself. Then I get a bursary for being very VERY poor and then it might cover my rent and the fact I'll have to use private transport part of the way to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    Ditto. I give my mum £20 a week from what i earn. I'm staying at home and will have to travel 40 miles to get to uni. If there's anything left from my £75 a week loans/grants then it will goto mum.

As other guys have said, they've kept me for 20 years. i like giving my mum money.

It'll all be worth it :grin:
    Okay at least I give £40+ a week depending on my salary when Im not in Uni. Currently doing 18.5 hours of work and give them £40.

ReputationRep:
    £0.00 absolutely nutting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Mine are giving me a £65 a month allowance when I'm at uni, paying for my accommodation and either helping me out with/paying off completely my student loan when I leave. I feel extremely lucky when reading lots of threads full of people who have to pay for everything for university themselves... wondered what an average x-section of TSR would yield about how much parents tend to contribute to an offspring's uni life?
    Thats not that much - I guess you're getting quite a lot of loans? (Although them offering to pay off loans is very nice)

I'm not sure, I will need some help with living costs as the government refuses to lend/ grant me the amount anyone could reasonably expect to live on, without having a thoroughly rubbish time at uni. Also not able to work during the term as going to Cambridge (where its banned).

Say they'll pay off my loans if I get a 2.1 or above which is very generous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    They paid for my tuition, accommodation, and most of my living expenses. Amazingly, I couldn't afford £18,000 a year on my own when I was 17-20. They're paying my tuition for my master's.
    how the hell did you spend £18k/ year?????

ReputationRep:
    None.

ReputationRep:
    my parents pay for my rent and house bills, on top of that i get money whenever i need it. I only pay fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    how the hell did you spend £18k/ year?????
    seconded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
    seconded.
    Thirded

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.