?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing, and I don't expect them to.
nouvelle_vague
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get nothing, and quite rightly. It's my decision to go to university and I get student loan. Obviously they're proud of me and would help me out if I was in serious trouble, but other than staying at my boyfriend's house for days on end, I live at home. For free, and according to my dad always will if I choose to do so. I don't really get why a lot of people are like 'yes, I've moved out! I'm so independent, can do what I want!' yet still expect hand outs, or even worse have their parents pay their rent for them; it's not really independence if you're still asking mammy everytime you're in a bit of trouble.
Joel4fun4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
50 quid a week or so.
Wyrd14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I pay them.
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ykljdsfdg)
I kind of think that (depending on the person of cause) parents shouldn't help their kids too much at uni in terms of finance (unless they really need it) and not at all the student gets enough to live on via student loans. Not even if they do something to really deserve it. Instead parents put that money in a savings account and when the student graduates they should be given the money to pay off their loans.

This isn't about "the value of money" at all, because lets face it... rich or poor almost everyone knows the value of money. it's more about being independent, learning to live and life experiences. And at the end of the day, (though I'm not at uni so I could be totally wrong!) family will do you a lot better supporting you psychologically than financially (when you have enough to get by on).

Anyone else agree with this or is it just me??
to be fair I think your just as independent whether you're getting money from the government, your parents or a job. In terms of a job, if I was a parent I'd rather my kids where working on their uni work rather than on the minimum wage, as they'll be better off in the long run getting the best they can at uni rather than their work/ social life being damaged at uni.

I realise that some people seem to have objections to sponging off their parents, but I can't say I really do. However, my parents are very prudent so are literally millionaires, whereas I guess if they were poor I'd feel differently. But its not like I'm harming them. Anyway, as you say a lot of people's loans don't cover the amount they need to live on.

Personally, I think its better that my parents give me a couple of grand a year so I can enjoy the best years of my life, instead of me staying in every night so their money gains 4% interest a year :rolleyes:
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nouvelle_vague)
I get nothing, and quite rightly. It's my decision to go to university and I get student loan. Obviously they're proud of me and would help me out if I was in serious trouble, but other than staying at my boyfriend's house for days on end, I live at home. For free, and according to my dad always will if I choose to do so. I don't really get why a lot of people are like 'yes, I've moved out! I'm so independent, can do what I want!' yet still expect hand outs, or even worse have their parents pay their rent for them; it's not really independence if you're still asking mammy everytime you're in a bit of trouble.
how is it any different than getting government money?
* Brooke *
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nutta!)
Well, my father came from nothing to something, earning a great amount, I guess he didnt want me to go through the same..

But what I find frustrating is that people can get so much from the government up to £3000 sometimes!

I always have to justify what I have so yeah- I should get my own money etc.. its always easy

you might find in frustrating, but for a lot of people without it uni would not be an option. personally i will need every penny of my grant as my mum can provide me with nothing - i had to lend her £100 this week of my hard earned savings for uni so she wouldn't go overdrawn as she certaintly can't afford the overdraft charges.

i know you probably didn't mean to offend, but there might be others like me (dunno possibly i'm a freak) who are worried eneough about fitting in at uni with people without needing the worry that they might be resented for recieving help they really need.
x-pri-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum said she wants to pay my tuition fees but id rather she didn't id prefer to take a loan and pay it back myself and even if she did i know itd b verrry difficult for her
shes cute =)
freeforever
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm getting nothing from my parents per se however, they are giving me the money my grandma left me when she died about 5 years ago. This will be split into termly amounts but my aim is not to spend that anyway
Crazy_Moo129
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by * Brooke *)
but there might be others like me (dunno possibly i'm a freak) who are worried eneough about fitting in at uni with people without needing the worry that they might be resented for recieving help they really need.
Nicely said. If if wasn't for government grants, i wouldn't be starting uni in september. my family pay their taxes, why shouldn't we get something back?
nouvelle_vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hey guysch im kl)
how is it any different than getting government money?
Uhm, because our loans are eventually paid back? A lot of people - a lot of whom I know - don't even think about paying their parents back for the rent paying etc.
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nouvelle_vague)
Uhm, because our loans are eventually paid back? A lot of people - a lot of whom I know - don't even think about paying their parents back for the rent paying etc.
Apart from grants which can be up to £3k...

I suppose its really a matter of personal preference. I don't think that you can say that all people should want to not go to their parents, or the opposite. I personally don't care about feeling that bit more independent - its not like I've disliked living with my parents . If you feel differently then fair enough.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A reasonable sum, not worked out the particulars yet
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
you might find in frustrating, but for a lot of people without it uni would not be an option. personally i will need every penny of my grant as my mum can provide me with nothing - i had to lend her £100 this week of my hard earned savings for uni so she wouldn't go overdrawn as she certaintly can't afford the overdraft charges.

i know you probably didn't mean to offend, but there might be others like me (dunno possibly i'm a freak) who are worried eneough about fitting in at uni with people without needing the worry that they might be resented for recieving help they really need.
I do agree.

I personally think that everyone should be offered a loan by the government for their whole tuition fees, and maybe up to say £8000/ year - ie. a bit more than how much anyone could realistically expect to spend on living costs. It seems a bit wrong that people are treated differently aged 18+ because of their parents' background.
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
Nicely said. If if wasn't for government grants, i wouldn't be starting uni in september. my family pay their taxes, why shouldn't we get something back?
Your argument completely fails. A richer family pays more taxes than your family. Shouldn't they get something, or more back?

(I don't disagree with your general point, just your reasoning)
cass_27
Report 9 years ago
Hey

It's quite balanced with me - I'm lucky in a lot of ways as a) - my fees are paid for by the NHS so that's a lot of worry off my mind, and b) - my father is paying for the accomodation until I can pay him back (I'm halfway there already) seeing as pretty much all universities want the money upfront through post-dated cheques. This way, there's not so much a time limit to give him the money right away when I can spend on other things like living expenses.

I'm the youngest and the only one in my family going to Uni, so it's exciting for everyone, but even so, this is something I do really appreciate seeing as there are lots of people who take out Student Loans, which can take so long to pay back. My general opinion is that what I borrow from my parents, I pay back, and I will be paying for everything myself whilst I'm away, but knowing my parents will help me out if I'm in trouble does put my mind at rest. I don't know about you :p:

But the fact that so many of you guys are proud to be supporting yourself without your parents support, I don't know how you do it, but you're awesome
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My Dad pays my accommodation fees. Everything else like the tuition and maintenance is covered by the loan.

I am incredibly grateful for the help from my parents as the annual cost of accommodation is enormous. I have insisted that they give me less but they are very eager to pay all my rent.
Nutta!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I dunno, I think its equally just as frustrating. I mean I get offended when people just explode with "your minted", when i dont get a lot of my parents.

50% of my fathers' wage go to tax... so we arent really "getting" that much.

But what about people, whose parent's are well off and dont give them any money whatsoever... they are propbably in the same boat as people are seen as "deprived". People who are well off are almost expected to give money to their children. Then people just go on and call these children "spoilt" when in reality they have to take "handouts" from mummy and daddy, no real other option apart from working.. but thats the same situation as people who Have to save up for uni.
Crazy_Moo129
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hey guysch im kl)
Your argument completely fails. A richer family pays more taxes than your family. Shouldn't they get something, or more back?

(I don't disagree with your general point, just your reasoning)
I never have been one for arguing. I'm glad you get the gist of it though. We're one of those borderline families.... Earn too much for any benifits, earn too less to be worry-free.

My point was made at university, not everyday life. sorry if you don't understand what i'm trying to say :grin:
Davy-Jones
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tuition fees are all on me (tuition fee loan), don't get any grants so parents gave me £2000 at the start so I could buy clothes, books, student necessities etc. Luckily for me, my family owned an apartment in London which is usually rented out but for my 3 years at uni it's mine, so that's accomodation and an initial 2k they contributed. I'm very thankful :yep:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (636)
91.12%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.88%

Watched Threads