Turn on thread page Beta

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? watch

ReputationRep:
    They will pay for everything. But i'll contribute to generally living costs from work money.

ReputationRep:
    My parents haven't given me anything. They are recently separated and my dad has just been made redundant so there's barely any cash to go around. I have a part time job to keep me out of debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    I dunno, I think its equally just as frustrating. I mean I get offended when people just explode with "your minted", when i dont get a lot of my parents.

50% of my fathers' wage go to tax... so we arent really "getting" that much.

But what about people, whose parent's are well off and dont give them any money whatsoever... they are propbably in the same boat as people are seen as "deprived". People who are well off are almost expected to give money to their children. Then people just go on and call these children "spoilt" when in reality they have to take "handouts" from mummy and daddy, no real other option apart from working.. but thats the same situation as people who Have to save up for uni.
    Very well said! My mum lost out on the 10p tax band last year. and she'd be better off if she went on Job Seeker's!

But to have half of a wage goto the tax man must be very frustrating. I can't image it's an 'cushy' job either (if that made sense)

I don't think it's down to how much money mummy and daddy give us all but how they support us. Having someone to make me a brew when i get in is supportive enough for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    Apart from grants which can be up to £3k...

I suppose its really a matter of personal preference. I don't think that you can say that all people should want to not go to their parents, or the opposite. I personally don't care about feeling that bit more independent - its not like I've disliked living with my parents . If you feel differently then fair enough.
    I never actually said that people should not want to go to their parents, nor did I say that people who go to their parents are wrong. I said that people who think that once they move out of their parent's home, go to uni and still willingly accept or even expect their parents to pay their rent is ridiculous. Nor am I really insulting people who get money from their parents; it's at their parents discretion but from what I've read here a lot of the people are grateful for their parent's financial aid.

Fair enough, grants up to £3k is exempt, but if I were living in my own flat I'd use money I was earning myself to pay my rent, and, if need be, I'd save up money from my grants/bursaries to do so. The money I receive from university goes on books, clothes and travel. I've never received a hand out from my parents, not that they wouldn't had I really needed it, but I never have; I think them letting me live for free in their home is enough reason not to expect hand outs.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing- and they spent the university fund that my grandparents gave me (£6,000-7,000)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    Very well said! My mum lost out on the 10p tax band last year. and she'd be better off if she went on Job Seeker's!

But to have half of a wage goto the tax man must be very frustrating. I can't image it's an 'cushy' job either (if that made sense)
    I mean people who are earning a LOT OF money, a losing on half their wage.. but mortgage other stuff apart from me.. debts to be paid.

Im just getting the amount my parents can afford... sometimes £150 sometimes £40. Its not a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rennie)
    Nothing- and they spent the university fund that my grandparents gave me (£6,000-7,000)...
    Spent it on the sniff sniff did they? Partial to some alc for brek? Live the heroin lifestyle?

ReputationRep:
    im planning on getting my parents on paying for my first year and then saving up my grants for second and third, there also going to pay for my travel, and since ill be living at home i dont really need anything else (i still kinda feel bad, but i see my self as an investement for them for the future ill be helping them out later on in life, so that thought stops me from feeling guilty!)

ReputationRep:
    I mean people who are earning a LOT OF money, a losing on half their wage.. but mortgage other stuff apart from me.. debts to be paid.

Im just getting the amount my parents can afford... sometimes £150 sometimes £40. Its not a lot...
    I think it's me not making sense... again! That's what i was trying to say.

Just because your dad earns more than mine doesn't mean you're 'better off' both families still have to pay utilities. which i'm sure are relative. :grin:

(i hope that sounds a damn sight better than my last post)

ReputationRep:
    Mum's been saving up £50 a month to buy things to take with me to uni for awhile now, but I recently bought a new printer and TV and some crockery set out of it and I took £100 out for extra holiday spends, so now it's down to £350. Grandma has been giving me £60 a month for years though, in to my bank account, so that'll continue. That's it I think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    I never actually said that people should not want to go to their parents, nor did I say that people who go to their parents are wrong. I said that people who think that once they move out of their parent's home, go to uni and still willingly accept or even expect their parents to pay their rent is ridiculous. Nor am I really insulting people who get money from their parents; it's at their parents discretion but from what I've read here a lot of the people are grateful for their parent's financial aid.

Fair enough, grants up to £3k is exempt, but if I were living in my own flat I'd use money I was earning myself to pay my rent, and, if need be, I'd save up money from my grants/bursaries to do so. The money I receive from university goes on books, clothes and travel. I've never received a hand out from my parents, not that they wouldn't had I really needed it, but I never have; I think them letting me live for free in their home is enough reason not to expect hand outs.
    How is it ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    £250 a month, i always feel quilty taking and will try not to next year as i now have a job. However as they earn so much if i got a maintaince and tution fee loan every year id be looking at 50k in debt when I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    My parents covered all my expenses (fees, accommodation and a monthly allowance), my dad also paid my best friend's fees so that she could go to uni. At that time, anyone with a family income below a certain level was exempt from fees...her parents wouldn't sign the forms because they didn't want her to go to uni!

I didn't 'expect' my parents to cover my expenses, they told me that they were doing it - it wasn't worth arguing about it!

ReputationRep:
    nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    £0.00

I have a friend who didn't even know about student loans as his parents are paying for everything. It bugs me seeing people so spoilt, if your parents are going to pay you through they should at least let you live off your loan and then pay it off at the end for you. If you can't learn to budget at university instead of living off handouts and spoon-feeding then you'll be a 22 / 23 year old who is still a spoilt child.

it seems ridiculous to me for his parents to waste money paying the interest on the loan when they can afford to give him the money themselves? it doesn't mean he's spoilt, perhaps his parents are giving him the same amount as the loan or just a bit more? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I think its equally just as frustrating. I mean I get offended when people just explode with "your minted", when i dont get a lot of my parents.

50% of my fathers' wage go to tax... so we arent really "getting" that much.

But what about people, whose parent's are well off and dont give them any money whatsoever... they are propbably in the same boat as people are seen as "deprived". People who are well off are almost expected to give money to their children. Then people just go on and call these children "spoilt" when in reality they have to take "handouts" from mummy and daddy, no real other option apart from working.. but thats the same situation as people who Have to save up for uni.
    no offence but if your dad is in a 50% tax bracket you are millionaires compared to a lot of people and whilst i appreciate he must work incrediably hard for that you should still be very thankful as my mum works incrediably hard all day for ridiculous hours but we are stupidly poor because her boss is a *****y slave driver who pays employees minimum wage and doesn't understand the concept of inflation so when asked for a rise looks at employees like that guy out of Oliver (you know the "MOOORRREE??????" moment)

so anyway you "get" a lot

i feel a bit sorry for people who's parents are well off but give them no help, however, i also feel that these people ought to get a job as they at least would get to keep all of their earnings instead of having to help with the food shop/mortgage payments.

i agree nobody should judge people on how much money they have thus "Your Minted" comments are insulting, unfair, and unnecessary, but i believe this was my point originally? and that whilst you may be unable to help feeling frustrated at the Government's attempts to help poorer people to go to uni, prehaps sharing it with people already worried about feeling like idiots in their cheap clothes in comparison to the "rahs" i'm assured will be swamping unis, is not the best idea. (on an unrelated note, what is actually wrong with these "rahs"? all i've gathered so far is that they are rich, since when was that a crime?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Spent it on the sniff sniff did they? Partial to some alc for brek? Live the heroin lifestyle?
    Amazingly enough, no. My dad was out of a job... and my mum tends to spend more than she has. They spent my brother's too.

ReputationRep:
    The self-delusion of some of the more affluent members is actually quite embarrassing. Heavens, I would be in so much debt if daddy did not pay my accommodation, fees and living expenses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I don't qualify for any grants as my parents earn too much, yet they're giving me zilch, zipple, nothing. And that's the way I like it, I prefer being independent and not relying on handouts. They worked hard to earn their money, it's only fair that they should spend it on themselves after having me living in their house eating all the biscuits and good flavoured yoghurt's for the past 19 years :P
    Same here... but I feel a bit bitter when there are people who have it all covered. I suppose it's natural to feel jealous when you read that though!

Anyway I'm studying medicine next year and apparently jobs aren't advisable for that... and my loan barely covers my accommodation so I have no idea on what's going to happen with the rest... I'm pretty worried about it actually... Any advice anyone? I'll get a job but I'm not sure what sort of hours are advisable... will is be enough money? if not what can I do?

Going to UCL btw... probably bad choice for someone as poor as moi but I loved it too much to think rationally at the time... I was under the impression that the loans were bigger too but they just arent big enough given my dads over 60K salary. Don't really know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * Brooke *)
    no offence but if your dad is in a 50% tax bracket you are millionaires compared to a lot of people and whilst i appreciate he must work incrediably hard for that you should still be very thankful as my mum works incrediably hard all day for ridiculous hours but we are stupidly poor because her boss is a *****y slave driver who pays employees minimum wage and doesn't understand the concept of inflation so when asked for a rise looks at employees like that guy out of Oliver (you know the "MOOORRREE??????" moment)

so anyway you "get" a lot

i feel a bit sorry for people who's parents are well off but give them no help, however, i also feel that these people ought to get a job as they at least would get to keep all of their earnings instead of having to help with the food shop/mortgage payments.

i agree nobody should judge people on how much money they have thus "Your Minted" comments are insulting, unfair, and unnecessary, but i believe this was my point originally? and that whilst you may be unable to help feeling frustrated at the Government's attempts to help poorer people to go to uni, prehaps sharing it with people already worried about feeling like idiots in their cheap clothes in comparison to the "rahs" i'm assured will be swamping unis, is not the best idea. (on an unrelated note, what is actually wrong with these "rahs"? all i've gathered so far is that they are rich, since when was that a crime?)
    Serisouly, you are underestimating people who "earn", a lot is taken off them.

There is nothing wrong with people getting extra income from the gov if you aren't coping well financially.

But- I just think other students who are well- off etc, should get more of a student loan.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.