Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

How much are your parents contributing to your student finance? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)
    How on earth does 50% go on tax?!

Even with 40% tax, isn't it only 40% of the amount over the £39000, taxed normally up until that point?
    Nope, defo 50%

I blame stupid Gordon Brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Nope, defo 50%

He is only taxed 50% on earnings over £150,000...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Nope, defo 50%

It's not definitely 50%, please read up on how tax brackets work. You only pay the 50% rate on any earnings over the £150,000 threshold. You pay different rates of tax on the money below this threshold.

ReputationRep:
    £000000.00 nothing, but i know that if i needed help they would be there, but id feel bad taking money from them, becasue its thier money and they should really spend it on themselves. And i really appriciate that they paid for my driving lessons & test, and are willing to pay some for a car.

I dont know what i would prefer, it would be nice to have all your expenses paid for, but then its also good to become more independant. Especially now that i have a part time job. I guess sometimes i do wish my parents were rich, but they've tried really hard to bring me and my siblings up with love, shelter, food etc.. so that makes me feel bad for wanting more. And i also look at what i already have and homeless/poor people, so we should really be happy with what we already have.

To be honest i dont want to complain about getting a student loan because its their money that makes it possible for alot of people to get the education they want. Even if you have to pay extra back, because in some countries you dont even get a loan, so no money = no education/ better lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    I took a loan out for the tuition fee, but luckily my parents are paying for my accomodation cuz I didn't ask much at all when I was a kid lol

ReputationRep:
    None. It was MY choice to go to Uni, not theirs. They could afford to help me out but not really appropriate IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    how the hell did you spend £18k/ year?????
    Erm

Tuition: 10k
    Living expenses: 8k

10k+8k=18k... is that really so strange?

ReputationRep:
    I got nothing through mine, but my parents were over the boundary so had the minimum loans and no grant. Really struggled for money during the degree, the system definitely puts the middle classed go your own way parents at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Paying all accom/tuition fees, and I assume some sort of allowance too, although it hasn't been discussed yet. I have a savings account with about £1000 that's for my general fun times I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Erm

Tuition: 10k
    Living expenses: 8k

10k+8k=18k... is that really so strange?
    Oh right I'm guessing your an international student, thats why your tuition isn't £3k?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    Oh right I'm guessing your an international student, thats why your tuition isn't £3k?
    Yeppers. Going to university for £3k was never an option for me, anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Yeppers. Going to university for £3k was never an option for me, anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Well,im taking loan to cover my fees and parents have paid the deposit for my accommodation and are gonna pay first payment,give me some money to start off too..Mom also said that she will send me approximately 150 pounds a month.Thats it

I have abosolutely no savings,so will have to work a lot I thought i was in a pretty complicted situation,but after going through this thread i see people who are even in a worse position. :o:

ReputationRep:
    They're paying my accomodation and giving me £260 allowance per month.....Though they are saying I should get a job in Dundee aswell, which could be difficult at the moment =/

Then next year they're buying me a flat!!!!:woo: :woo:

Fees aren't an issue because this is scotland =p

ReputationRep:
    I'm lucky enough that mine pay for my accomodation and tuiton fees and give me about £150 a month to my bank account. The rest of my money comes from what I earn during the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    none
    they dont need to, my loan and grant covers everything,

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on which accommodation I get allocated.

I went for 3 of the cheapest [75-80 quid, which is still pretty expensive mind] and then rather screwed myself for applying for one that's £100 a week as my last choice - that puts me £400 into my overdraft and wipes out my entire maintenance loan, since I only get the minimum. :woo:

If I get cheap housing, I'll have £20-£30 a week from loans, £20 from parents, and work to make up the rest.

If I get expensive housing, I'll throw all shame to the winds, and beg my parents to pay for, like, everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    My parents are paying everything for me. I come from a culture where it's standard for parents to pay their children's way through university, and I feel really lucky after reading how many students have to pay their own ways. Especially once I consider how much the international fees are :s
    Hear hear african culture :yes:

TBH i don't even know whether my parents are going to give me anything, but i did overhear my mum saying she will be putting money into my account. My dad will probably pay for books like he always does. Just very fortunate to have them really.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing, but I'm not too fussed.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.