Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was going to ask for advice on the a-level front as I dont want to do math.

I've had a look at the sixth form prospectus and i was thinking about studying : biology A2, Chem A2, then either psychology at A2/As or Economics at A2/As.

I dont want to do all the traditional 3 sciences i.e. bio, chem, maths/physics.

Would i still be a good candidate for studying medicine ??

Hope you can help,

Laurie x :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend psychology, but what you've suggested, in principle at least, sounds fine.
    Med Schools will make all sorts of claims about not discriminating bewtween those who do the 'traditional' subjects and those who do acceptable but less conventional ones. I don't think anyone really knows if that's true.
    The A2 biology and chem sounds good, but I think you'd be better off with a contrasting third subject that still compliments medicine. Like english, history or philosophy?
    Med schools like to see you're articulate and that you can 'communicate'. Economics might give the wrong impression...

ReputationRep:
    That's fine AFAIK unless you're thinking of Cambridge, where some colleges ask for 3 sciences. I seem to remember Nottingham might ask for something along those lines as well, although I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, you'll meet the A-level requirements for all but a handful of Cambridge colleges: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

Apart from Chem and Bio, do whatever you think you'll like the best and do the best in.

ReputationRep:
    yep thats fine, im taking chem bio history and psyc, and dropping history for A2. basically most med schools just want chem and bio and are not that bothered about what the 3rd subject is. cambridge wants 3 out of chem bio physics and maths, but many think its just as useful to have a non science 3rd subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's fine, unless you want to apply to Cambridge (you need 3 science subjects for there).

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Only SIX Cambridge colleges prefer people with three science A-levels (Chem/Bio/Physics/Maths) A-levels: Christ's, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John's and Trinity. You may be expected to have a third science at AS, but this doesn't seem to be a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    *sigh*

Only SIX Cambridge colleges prefer people with three science (Chem/Bio/Physics/Maths/Further Maths) A-levels: Christ's, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John's and Trinity.
    I am glad someone pointed that out. Only thing to note is that if you do take two for every other college, they expect you to be on the same level of science as other candidates who are taking 3 or more, in otherwords cope with the BMAT and interview

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Only SIX Cambridge colleges prefer people with three science (Chem/Bio/Physics/Maths/Further Maths) A-levels: Christ's, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John's and Trinity.
    "AS and A level requirement
    Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level. "

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...uirements.html

Though they seem to contradict that down the page...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level. "

Read further down the page. It states:

"Please note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. Such applicants may be asked to take a third science/mathematics subject to AS level."

Apologies if my unedited post (posted accidently due to lack of technical ability!) didn't make this clear.

ReputationRep:

This implies it would be possible to only take 2 sciences to AS level, and its from the same link:

Colleges (except Christ’s, Magdalene, St John’s and Trinity) will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking more science/mathematics A levels.
    1 science A level plus 2 others(obviously) + expectation of 4 AS levels means these candidates would only take 2 science AS levels

Sorry I see you have edited :p:

ReputationRep:
    Read further down the page. It states:

"Please note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. Such applicants may be asked to take a third science/mathematics subject to AS level."

Apologies if my unedited post (posted accidently due to lack of technical ability!) didn't make this clear.

Well that's a pretty odd contradiction.

Cos they do clearly state at the top that three sciences are required.

My only guess (though you do probs know more than I do) is that when it says those colleges prefer 3 sciences, it means 3 sciences at A2. Whereas others are content with two at A2 and one at AS.

EDIT: I think my "guess" is right. A while ago I emailed a Cambridge college NOT on that list of needing 3 sciences. And they said you would need two science A2s and normally a 3rd science at AS.

ReputationRep:

My only guess (though you do probs know more than I do) is that when it says those colleges prefer 3 sciences, it means 3 sciences at A2. Whereas others are content with two at A2 and one at AS.
    :yes: Thats what they mean however look at my post above. They will even accept you only doing 1 science A level if you read further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    :yes: Thats what they mean however look at my post above. They will even accept you only doing 1 science A level if you read further
    Yeah. However, when someone said you only need 3 for some colleges, in the context of replying to my post that wasn't really very helpful. Because even if you only need two (or even one) at A2, you would need to do others to AS, and if you don't choose those subjects then you obviously can't do them to AS Level.

So basically... all Colleges require 3 science SUBJECTS, but only some requires 3 to A2?

ReputationRep:

Seems so. I think Cambridge is at least as confused as we are ... apply to Oxford OP ... at least we're consistant in our demands!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a contradiction. The university requirement is that you have three of maths, physics, chemistry and biology at A or AS level.

College requiremnts then build on this.

What most applicants offer is not directly related to the requirement, though it might give you a few pointers as to what you are up against.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. However, when someone said you only need 3 for some colleges, in the context of replying to my post that wasn't really very helpful. Because even if you only need two (or even one) at A2, you would need to do others to AS, and if you don't choose those subjects then you obviously can't do them to AS Level.

So basically... all Colleges require 3 science SUBJECTS, but only some requires 3 to A2?
    Basically thats right. :yes:

It is slightly helpful as Cambridge only expect you to take 4 AS levels, and to do only 1 science A2 level means you have only 1 more additional science AS level that they would expect off you. But then, you have to be extra special to get away with that and get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Basically thats right. :yes:

It is slightly helpful as Cambridge only expect you to take 4 AS levels, and to do only 1 science A2 level means you have only 1 more additional science AS level that they would expect off you. But then, you have to be extra special to get away with that and get in
    The link given above makes it clear that three sciences to A or AS level are required in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    I wouldn't recommend psychology, but what you've suggested, in principle at least, sounds fine.
    Med Schools will make all sorts of claims about not discriminating bewtween those who do the 'traditional' subjects and those who do acceptable but less conventional ones. I don't think anyone really knows if that's true.
    The A2 biology and chem sounds good, but I think you'd be better off with a contrasting third subject that still compliments medicine. Like english, history or philosophy?
    Med schools like to see you're articulate and that you can 'communicate'. Economics might give the wrong impression...
    When you say english which part do you mean ??

Language or literature ?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I don't see a contradiction. The university requirement is that you have three of maths, physics, chemistry and biology at A or AS level.

College requiremnts then build on this.

What most applicants offer is not directly related to the requirement, though it might give you a few pointers as to what you are up against.
    Well I see that now. But it's clearly confusing many people, as people have said in this thread that only some colleges require 3 science subjects, when it is in fact all of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.