Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Well I see that now. But it's clearly confusing many people, as people have said in this thread that only some colleges require 3 science subjects, when it is in fact all of them.
    The confusion is that some people haven't read that link properly. Some colleges build on the general requirement by requiring three sciences at A level, as opposed to the general requirement of three at A or AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The confusion is that some people haven't read that link properly. Some colleges build on the general requirement by requiring three sciences at A level, as opposed to the general requirement of three at A or AS level.
    I think it's the use of "A Level" to mean AS AND A2. I know that's its proper usage, but I guess some people think that studying a subject at "A Level" also includes only AS, when in the context of that link, that isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    The link given above makes it clear that three sciences to A or AS level are required in general.
    Yes in general. I am just pointing out that you can still apply with out, but under exceptional circumstances and you must have a very good scientific knowledge. You wouldn't get through the interview without otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Or even so..... if I chose:
    Maths- As
    Chem - A2
    Bio - A2
    What would be another option ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I think it's the use of "A Level" to mean AS AND A2. I know that's its proper usage, but I guess some people think that studying a subject at "A Level" also includes only AS, when in the context of that link, that isn't true.
    Yes, an A level is the combination of AS and A2. If you only study to AS you don't have an A level. That link is clear, since it uses a bold heading to separate AS and A level:

AS and A level requirement
    Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. [ i.e. at either level] One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level. [i.e. further study than AS]
    In other words the minimum general requirement is for an A level and two AS passes in sciences, including chemistry to at least AS level. Colleges then add to these, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Yes in general. I am just pointing out that you can still apply with out, but under exceptional circumstances and you must have a very good scientific knowledge. You wouldn't get through the interview without otherwise
    Well, of course, you can apply with no A levels in any sciences - you just wouldn't get very far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie93)
    Or even so..... if I chose:
    Maths- As
    Chem - A2
    Bio - A2
    What would be another option ?
    Anything you want. Are you attending to apply to Cambridge, otherwise this arguement is for nothing?

Well, of course, you can apply with no A levels in any sciences - you just wouldn't get very far.
    I am just saying you could get an interview with 1 A2 level in science, when you definitly wouldn't get an interview with none. Still don't see my point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Anything you want. Are you attending to apply to Cambridge, otherwise this arguement is for nothing?

I am just saying you could get an interview with 1 A2 level in science, when you definitly wouldn't get an interview with none. Still don't see my point?
    You are very confusing. You wrote "through the interview" (meaning, pass at that stage) earlier. Now you are writing ""get an interview" which is a very different thing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i want to keep my options open to every uni really. but to be able to get into cambridge would be real nice

So simply what a-levels would i need.... would i still be able to do math at as rather than a2 ??

ReputationRep:
    You are very confusing. You wrote "through the interview" (meaning, pass at that stage) earlier. Now you are writing ""get an interview" which is a very different thing.
    Well you have a chance of getting an interview. If you have a chance of getting an interview, get one there is then a chance of getting through the interview, however the website states you must be on the same level of ability in science as other candidates to do this. Hopefully that explains it

ReputationRep:
    Well, i want to keep my options open to every uni really. but to be able to get into cambridge would be real nice

So simply what a-levels would i need.... would i still be able to do math at as rather than a2 ??
    Yes you could, and then choose a strong academic subject such as economics and you could still apply, but not to all of the colleges

ReputationRep:

Yeah, but it may be helpful to do it to A2. I think they say those with 2 scienes at A2 are expected to have same science ability as those with 3 at A2.

But anyway, such decisions as to what to drop for A2 don't really matter before you've chosen your subjects.

If you want to do Bio, Chem, and Maths, then your fourth doesn't really matter, but you should do a "respected" subject. So you could do History, French, Physics, English Literature (or basically any other subject lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    I wouldn't recommend psychology, but what you've suggested, in principle at least, sounds fine.
    Med Schools will make all sorts of claims about not discriminating bewtween those who do the 'traditional' subjects and those who do acceptable but less conventional ones. I don't think anyone really knows if that's true.
    The A2 biology and chem sounds good, but I think you'd be better off with a contrasting third subject that still compliments medicine. Like english, history or philosophy?
    Med schools like to see you're articulate and that you can 'communicate'. Economics might give the wrong impression...
    Im rather confused

Economics insted of maths ?? is this a good idea??

ReputationRep:
    biology and chemistry are good and i think it would help to do maths or physics but its your choice. maybe a social science could help?

ReputationRep:
    Im rather confused

You are. For maximum academic fit for medicine, study chemistry and biology A levels. Take physics or maths, in addition, to at least AS level if you want to apply to Cambridge. Otherwise do what you fancy. Some places like to see a complementary arts subject that shows you can write essays, such as English literature, RE or history.

ReputationRep:
    Im rather confused

Not really. Well, it depends, you said you want to keep your options open for EVERY medical school. You will therefore have to study 3 science subjects - economics is not a science subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm in the same dilemma, I will be taking Bio, Chem, Psych and Gen Std (AS) I was wondering if Psych counted as a science subject. I won't be applying to Cambridge, Oxbridge and Kings since I don't have the A*s at GCSE for that. So because I dont have the greatest GCSE's in the world I am at a disadvantage, however I don't have a natural flair for maths, so is it just a case of studying and past papers near exam time for AS/A2 Maths? If I take Bio, Chem, Maths (AS), Psych (No Coursework) and Gen Std (AS) would this be a really heavy workload?

EDIT: Typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sato)
    Hi i'm in the same dilemma, I will be taking Bio, Chem, Psych and Gen Std (AS) I was wondering if Psych counted as a science subject. I won't be applying to Cambridge, Oxbridge and Kings since I don't have the A*s at GCSE for that. So because I dont have the greatest GCSE's in the world I am at a disadvantage, however I don't have a natural flair for maths, so is it just a case of studying and past papers near exam time for AS/A2 Maths? If I take Bio, Chem, Maths (AS), Psych (No Coursework) and Gen Std (AS) would this be a really heavy workload?

EDIT: Typo
    It shouldn't be too bad as a workload, though it will vary depending on the person. I found essay subjects to be more work, with history taking up most of my time. I found biology, chemistry, and maths to be not very time-consuming.

Psych doesn't count as a "science" subject, but I think for the vast majority of places you only need 2 sciences. As already said Cambridge needs 3, and I'm not sure about Imperial. I had thought it was only 2, but someone on TSR said it was 3 a few days ago...

ReputationRep:
    Well im in year 10 and when i go back in September will be in my last year of high school and doing my gcses.
    Im only predicted some A's and mostly B's. The options I chose for my gcses were:

Statistics
    Modern history
    Triple science (IGCSE)

I will only get 8 Gcses. Will i be at a disadvantage because cardiff needs 9 Gcses !!

Im thinking about choosing Alevel wise :

Biology A2
    Chemistry A2
    History A2
    Maths As

Are these any good ??

I dont think my gcse results will be amazing. maybe scrape a couple of A's.

ReputationRep:

Im thinking about choosing Alevel wise :

Biology A2
    Chemistry A2
    History A2
    Maths As

Are these any good ??

I dont think my gcse results will be amazing. maybe scrape a couple of A's.
    Yes those choices would be fine. Remember to work as hard as you can for your GCSEs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.