Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow you're small TPD :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    On the anthropometrics I'm about 5'2" and came close on functional reach but was fine for everything else.
    5'4" won't be a problem if you can reach the change in the bottom of your pocket
    I was very close on buttock-toe, to the extent that I had to be re-measured. I was reasonably close on functional reach, despite my stubby arms, and not much over the sitting height either. You must be really perfectly proportioned!
    I definitely wouldn't say 'you should be fine' at 5'4", as I said a few people I knew got rejected on those measurements despite being a good couple of inches taller than me.
    But ok, point taken about the reason the figures aren't published!

ReputationRep:
    What makes it just odd is that I know of at least 2 pilots [one FJ] who are over 6'5. Must have some very odd dimensions going on!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Wow you're small TPD :P
    But as pointed out, perfectly formed
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by anony_miss)
    Average height (F) = 5'3"/5'4". Standard deviation (~68% of population) = 2.8". I know people taller than me who've been rejected as they are differently proportioned, so let's pretend that I'm 'perfectly proportioned' (and I was close on all the measurements) and take 5'4" as the 'minimum height'.
    .... which is fine, but it's a little arbitrary to assume that your height is the minimum height just because you're close on all the measurements. We can knock 2" off immediately following 3PD's post, after all

(Original post by anony_miss)
    True. But which is why some official numbers, published by the RAF might be helpful. Then again, maybe you're right, there's always going to be someone that the AFCO tells has the wrong measurements, won't apply and then is going to be very p****d off in a few years' time. Or the other way round.
    Pretty much. The problems comes with the way you're measured. The nurse who looks after your first set of OASC anthro measurements has done it a billion times, and has that nice little rig to sit you on and slide everything into position. You don't have that at home, and I'd say you're likely to be exceptionally inaccurate; to the point of your measurements being pointless; trying with a tape measure. They even have one that uses lasers at Henlow, and I doubt you're going to build one of those in your garage when you could just pop down to OASC and find out. See what I mean?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What makes it just odd is that I know of at least 2 pilots [one FJ] who are over 6'5. Must have some very odd dimensions going on!
    I find it very difficult to believe that anyone over 6'5" could possibly fit safely in the confines of a teeny Hawk cockpit. They'd never fit in the back of one, and I don't think they'd fit terribly well in a Tucano unless it was all legs, but if it was, they'd never fit in a Hawk!

ReputationRep:
    Long shins, apparently :dontknow: Just going by what I was told.

After having sat in a Hawk myself, I know I wouldn't have [comfortably] flown in one.

The Tutor was enough of a squeeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    .... which is fine, but it's a little arbitrary to assume that your height is the minimum height just because you're close on all the measurements. We can knock 2" off immediately following 3PD's post, after all
    Yes, ok, I take it back. And all along I thought I was perfectly formed :rolleyes: I could promise that I'm not going to make any more unfounded assumptions, hand wavey arguments or theories held up by dodgy statistics, but, well, I doubt I'd last that long. What was uni for if it didn't teach me how to do that?
    (Original post by Wzz)
    They even have one that uses lasers at Henlow, and I doubt you're going to build one of those in your garage when you could just pop down to OASC and find out. See what I mean?
    Just 'pop down' to OASC, I like the thought of that
    As for building something with lasers... *glint in eye* No, ok, I get your point.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Long shins, apparently :dontknow: Just going by what I was told.
    I'm not doubting what you said at all, I'm just surprised. The Hawk's instrument panel's canted back at about 12 degrees, so picture sitting there with your legs in the right place.

Expand your thighs and you end up with your knees fouling on the instrument panel, which is no good. Expand your shins and you end up with your shins themselves braced on the top of the leg channels, just below the instrument panel. That'd be so awful on ejection it doesn't bear thinking about.

Long shins, in other words, are quite a critical snag in the Hawk! Even if your thighs were short enough that your lower legs didn't foul on the instrument panel, the problem then becomes the way that long shins force your knees high, generating a gap between your thighs and the seat. This is also predictably bad.

Bizarre, but there you go. I've met a 6'3" Jag pilot though, so it's doable!

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe he had been selected for FJ, but found out upon arrival at Valley he wouldn't fit? I think I've heard of things like that happening... And he was obviously just trying to impress [ie, score with] UAS girls with the "I'm a FJ pilot..." line.

I was once on camp at Colt [yes, I was an Air Cadet :ninja:] and couldn't even get in the Jag to sit down when I was given the chance. Shockingly bad fit!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    s'funny - I've never met a FJ pilot over 6'4" and I've served on many bases - including 2 with OCUs. usually small angry men who fly. Except rotary and Fat Albert.

ReputationRep:
    ok so basically it doesn't matter how tall you are its just the measurments when you sit, so u get all to way through to find out your not just right what a disheartener!

well i guess i shall just have to go and try and see how i get on
    i think i would do a degree though cause going straight from sixth form would be very risky

well im from NI so i row in Portadown which is in the county of Armagh
    not sure if any1 has a clue were that is though :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I find it very difficult to believe that anyone over 6'5" could possibly fit safely in the confines of a teeny Hawk cockpit. They'd never fit in the back of one, and I don't think they'd fit terribly well in a Tucano unless it was all legs, but if it was, they'd never fit in a Hawk!
    My 6'5 mate used to fly with a wonky head in the tutor.... that's why he didn't make the measurements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rowinglegend)
    ok so basically it doesn't matter how tall you are its just the measurments when you sit, so u get all to way through to find out your not just right what a disheartener!
    Pretty much. I don't know if there's any way to determine, ahead of time whether you'll fit or not. If you do go to uni and apply for the UAS, they should pack you off to Cranwell and measure you then (at least they did when I applied). I could, um, build you something with lasers..? Unsafe? What do you mean?
    well im from NI so i row in Portadown which is in the county of Armagh
    not sure if any1 has a clue were that is though :L
    I was born in Belfast, though didn't live there for long, so I have a rough idea! Just wondered if you rowed somewhere down near where I live, the rowing community here is very incestuous...

ReputationRep:
    thats what il do

so are u a pilot for the raf then ?

ReputationRep:
    so are u a pilot for the raf then ?
    Me? Noooo... One day, if all goes to plan. There are some pilots about on this forum though and the ones I've spoken too have been exceptionally helpful.
    I'm just about to start Initial Officer Training, which means that the selection procedure is still quite fresh in my mind!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking with an Harrier Lt yesterday and didn't listen to a word he said... Was too busy thinking "wow, this guys short - he's the same size as me!" I believe I'm 5'6.5'' (important .5!!) and refuse to measure incase I find out I'm 5'3'' or something. Damn my dad for giving me little legs! He is without doubt the shortest pilot I've seen (that I remember of), on FJ anyway; though I've forgotten all about RW as it was a dark spot in my life....

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    On the anthropometrics I'm about 5'2" and came close on functional reach but was fine for everything else.
    So I take it you passed the medical for pilot yeah?

In reply to the argument of whether to measure yourself at home or not - even if you are borderline on the anthros, if pilot is really the career you badly want, then you're going give OASC your best shot regardless! I can't imagine anyone who really is set on that career just thinking 'oh i might not pass the medical so I won't bother trying'!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and Anony_miss, they no longer measure you up for the UAS, as now they have broadened their horizons to non-bursar ground branches. As far as I'm aware you don't even have a medical anymore...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by *NuckingFuts*)
    So I take it you passed the medical for pilot yeah?
    Navigator

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.