Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *NuckingFuts*)
    Oh, and Anony_miss, they no longer measure you up for the UAS, as now they have broadened their horizons to non-bursar ground branches. As far as I'm aware you don't even have a medical anymore...

They 'broadened their horizons' four years ago. And yes, you still do a medical. Albeit, not the full aircrew medical. The one you undertake is broadly comparable to that of the one required by the CAA by all holders of a PPL, but done by an MoD med centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Navigator
    So did you pass the pilot measurements? The nav measurements are lower by a few centimetres: 0.5cm on reach, 1.5cm on sitting height and 3cm on buttock-heel (according to my piece of paper from OASC). Are you serving at the moment, 3pd? (Just out of curiosity.)
    (Original post by Wzz)
    We can knock 2" off immediately following 3PD's post, after all
    Maybe I am also perfectly formed after all, Wzz? :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by anony_miss)
    So did you pass the pilot measurements? The nav measurements are lower by a few centimetres: 0.5cm on reach, 1.5cm on sitting height and 3cm on buttock-heel (according to my piece of paper from OASC). Are you serving at the moment, 3pd? (Just out of curiosity.)
    Maybe I am also perfectly formed after all, Wzz? :P
    Well, we'll see...!

3PD's ex-serving. I don't think I've seen many 5'2" pilots though, so I don't know if she'd have made it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Well, we'll see...!

3PD's ex-serving. I don't think I've seen many 5'2" pilots though, so I don't know if she'd have made it.
    5'6" seems to be the minimum 'general' safe height. All the girls on my UAS who were 5'6" + were fine, the others fell down on one or more measurement.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    the others fell down on one or more measurement.

Not very far to fall then :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *NuckingFuts*)
    Oh, and Anony_miss, they no longer measure you up for the UAS, as now they have broadened their horizons to non-bursar ground branches. As far as I'm aware you don't even have a medical anymore...
    Oh ok, good to know. Makes me feel old though! I guess the answer is to go along and get through OASC and see what they say then!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I guess the answer is to go along and get through OASC and see what they say then!
    :rolleyes:

At last!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    :rolleyes:
    At last!
    So refreshing to see a gracious recognition of someone being prepared to change their mind after a sensible discussion on a topic.
    I still stand by my highly accurate calculations.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So refreshing to see a gracious recognition of someone being prepared to change their mind after a sensible discussion on a topic.
    I still stand by my highly accurate calculations.
    I agree with your highly accurate calculations, sure; I just maintain that they're rather pointless unless they're being used by the people with the rubber stamp at OASC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Speaking with an Harrier Lt yesterday and didn't listen to a word he said... Was too busy thinking "wow, this guys short - he's the same size as me!" I believe I'm 5'6.5'' (important .5!!) and refuse to measure incase I find out I'm 5'3'' or something. Damn my dad for giving me little legs! He is without doubt the shortest pilot I've seen (that I remember of), on FJ anyway; though I've forgotten all about RW as it was a dark spot in my life....

:top:
    Lmao, neg repped for this... Some of you idiots are in serious need of a life. In the pub with 2 FJ pilots about an hour ago, RM and RN, feeding a particular *younger* person some booze... No RAF to be seen, speaks volumes...

ReputationRep:
    In the pub with 2 FJ pilots about an hour ago, RM and RN, feeding a particular *younger* person some booze... No RAF to be seen, speaks volumes...

Er, speaks volumes of what, exactly?

I could go to a pub tomorrow and not see a member of any of the armed forces, does that suddenly mean that everyone has no life?

While I agreed with the first part of your post - pinch of salt needed by people on the internet - the second part just made no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Anthropometry always throws up some interesting problems. Primarily because we tend to consider someones size in relation to their standing height, which has very little relation to anything useful on an aircraft.

Most of us think of ourselves as being of average proportions but in fact very few, if any, qualify as average in every respect. In a detailed USAF survey, no-one was within 30% of average on all of 10 anthro measurements taken, and only 1.8% were within the 30% of only 4 out of 10 measurements. The average sized man or woman is something of a myth - in part perpetuated by the clothing companies!

I'm 5'11" tall which you would not expect to put me in any danger of busting the limits, but am in the 90th percentile for back length - which would put me close to the limit for some older ejection seat aircraft. Also explains why I can never get trousers to fit a suit jacket.

So it you can't rely on you height to tell you if you'll fit in a given cockpit, can you measure yourself at home. Well, not really. The most important measurements for cockpit design are:

Total Sitting Height - don't want to bang your swede.
    Sitting Eye Height - need to see where you are going.
    Sitting shoulder height - key for restraint system.
    Bideltoid diameter ( shoulder width) - need to fit through the hole in the canopy if you eject.
    Functional reach - Need to be able to grasp stuff.
    Fingertip reach - Need to be able to push stuff.
    Buttocks-to-knee length - Nice to take lower limbs with you if you eject.

Without a suitable anthro frame, it would be very difficult to measure some of the above, and impossible to obtain the required degree of accuracy to be meaningful.

So, in short, you can't tell from your height if you are going to meet the requirements, you can't measure yourself at home, and there's frankly nothing you could do about it even if you could! So stop worrying and keep wearing the platforms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Er, speaks volumes of what, exactly?

I could go to a pub tomorrow and not see a member of any of the armed forces, does that suddenly mean that everyone has no life?

While I agreed with the first part of your post - pinch of salt needed by people on the internet - the second part just made no sense.
    Belay the last. Alcohol induced post.

The first part though... why the hell would I get negged for that? There wasn't even anything offensive in it! Some people definitely do need to get some fresh air once in a while if they're getting upset by my speaking to a short FJ pilot...!

ReputationRep:
    Belay the last. Alcohol induced post.

The first part though... why the hell would I get negged for that? There wasn't even anything offensive in it! Some people definitely do need to get some fresh air once in a while if they're getting upset by my speaking to a short FJ pilot...!

Thought as much, hope it hurt in the morning :p:

Maybe someone 5'6 or shorter and in denial about being short read your post and didn't like the way it was spelt out to them? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Thought as much, hope it hurt in the morning :p:

Maybe someone 5'6 or shorter and in denial about being short read your post and didn't like the way it was spelt out to them? :dontknow:
    Then they can get used to it, like I had to!

It did hurt, a lot, as I was only in for 10 mins to get changed then out on the town - home at 4.30(ish) and working at 7.20. Finishing at 10.30, getting lunch and being in bed since, however, is a fine cure for the hangover!

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It did hurt, a lot, as I was only in for 10 mins to get changed then out on the town - home at 4.30(ish) and working at 7.20.
    ... in a fit state to do your job...?

For the record, I'm over 5'6".
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Not enough to be worth mentioning if you fit in a bang seat :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    ... in a fit state to do your job...?

My entire days work today can be described in one word: cleaning - oil from the no.4 pylons on the a/c on the line, then the hanger afterwards. I was definitely fit to do it, whether I enjoyed doing it, is a different matter.

I think that was my original point: the matey at 5'6 is the shortest I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Is it even easy to get into the RAF as a pilot?

Because im split between choosing a career as an RAF pilot (after an aeronautical engineering degree perhaps), or the infamously competitive medicine route. I enjoy both medicine and piloting activities but i must say i prefer piloting waaaay more. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Is it even easy to get into the RAF as a pilot?

Because im split between choosing a career as an RAF pilot (after an aeronautical engineering degree perhaps), or the infamously competitive medicine route. I enjoy both medicine and piloting activities but i must say i prefer piloting waaaay more. Any advice?

Not easy in the slightest. If you go into it without conviction then I wouldn't fancy your chances.

It is probably more competitive than getting into Medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.