Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Not easy in the slightest. If you go into it without conviction then I wouldn't fancy your chances.

It is probably more competitive than getting into Medicine.
    oh... what do you recommend i do to increase my chances? Because i would kill to have a job being a pilot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    oh... what do you recommend i do to increase my chances? Because i would kill to have a job being a pilot!

Search through and read this forum thoroughly. It will tell you - literally - everything you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Search through and read this forum thoroughly. It will tell you - literally - everything you need to know.
    this thread is literally 99% about measurements

ReputationRep:
    this thread is literally 99% about measurements

Which is why I said "forum" and not thread.

First initiative test: failed.

ReputationRep:
    Which is why I said "forum" and not thread.

First initiative test: failed.
    Yeah, i thought you mistook the word 'thread' for 'forum', as the forum is paages and paaaages long!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah, i thought you mistook the word 'thread' for 'forum', as the forum is paages and paaaages long!
    Using the 'Search' facility reduces what you have to read. You'd have to do a lot more than read a few pages of the internet to get to be a pilot.

ReputationRep:
    Can I suggest going through one of the interviews in the frequently asked questions. What you can't answer in there is probably where you can start, and take it from there.

Good luck. Q_M

ReputationRep:
    Yes, quite obviously... thats why i asked for advice.
    And searches have been so far unhelpful. You know what, ill ask elsewhere
    That's what you call being ungrateful, and since ProStacker is a regular in the RAF (and could have been quite useful to you) I wouldn't go around peeing him off!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, quite obviously... thats why i asked for advice.
    And searches have been so far unhelpful. You know what, ill ask elsewhere

That, then, has more to do with what you're searching for and how you're searching for it than anything else.

This forum has been active for many years and has seen many many people go from being an applicant to a serving member, in nearly all branches of the RAF, especcially pilot. If the piece of advice you're looking for hasn't been said here half a dozen times already, it's completely useless.

Come up with something you want answered and put the keywords into the search box. And then - here's the crux - look at all of the replies. However, if you can't be bothered, move along.

Try other places, by all means [pprune, egoat, etc] but don't expect the responses to be any different. Serving people have precious little spare time, they don't want to spend it repeating snippets of advice given 40,000 times already.

ReputationRep:
    That, then, has more to do with what you're searching for and how you're searching for it than anything else.

This forum has been active for many years and has seen many many people go from being an applicant to a serving member, in nearly all branches of the RAF, especcially pilot. If the piece of advice you're looking for hasn't been said here half a dozen times already, it's completely useless.

Come up with something you want answered and put the keywords into the search box. And then - here's the crux - look at all of the replies. However, if you can't be bothered, move along.

Try other places, by all means [pprune, egoat, etc] but don't expect the responses to be any different. Serving people have precious little spare time, they don't want to spend it repeating snippets of advice given 40,000 times already.
    And little do you realise, in the posts youve posted between the time i asked for advice and now, you could have given me advice twice over. But i guess some people just cant be bothered to re-channel some up to date information.

ReputationRep:
    And little do you realise, in the posts youve posted between the time i asked for advice and now, you could have given me advice twice over. But i guess some people just cant be bothered to re-channel some up to date information.

Hardly.

We have no idea what stage you're at, what your previous exposure to the forces is, what your knowledge of the RAF is, whether you've had any flying experience, what your educational background is.

Nor do we know if you're physically capable [at least, meeting the basic medical requirements].

All of which, you could find out by looking at the RAF Careers website, and various posts on this forum which have been repeated many hundreds of times and HAVE NOT CHANGED in any substantial form for about 10 years.

If all of that is beyond you, don't even attempt to try learning to fly.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly.

We have no idea what stage you're at, what your previous exposure to the forces is, what your knowledge of the RAF is, whether you've had any flying experience, what your educational background is.

Nor do we know if you're physically capable [at least, meeting the basic medical requirements].

All of which, you could find out by looking at the RAF Careers website, and various posts on this forum which have been repeated many hundreds of times and HAVE NOT CHANGED in any substantial form for about 10 years.

If all of that is beyond you, don't even attempt to try learning to fly.
    I didnt have the chance to say where I am, since i was just redirected to flick through thousands of old pages of these forums straight away.

Again, lets just drop this, because you're really wasting your time, you could have helped me first time, but instead you've just dragged on a particularly unhelpful argument.

Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt have the chance to say where I am, since i was just redirected to flick through thousands of old pages of these forums straight away.

Because atom no.1 of common sense should've told you to find out the existing information first.

As previously mentioned, these pages have helped many many people get through all manner of selection stages, why would they not be helpful for you?

The phrase you'll hear a lot, both here on the forum and out in the real world - whether Forces or otherwise, is initiative. You need to go out and seek. Whatever bits of information you find to be missing or confusing, feel free to ask about, but do not expect anything to be spoonfed.

ReputationRep:
    Because atom no.1 of common sense should've told you to find out the existing information first.

As previously mentioned, these pages have helped many many people get through all manner of selection stages, why would they not be helpful for you?

The phrase you'll hear a lot, both here on the forum and out in the real world - whether Forces or otherwise, is initiative. You need to go out and seek. Whatever bits of information you find to be missing or confusing, feel free to ask about, but do not expect anything to be spoonfed.
    It does not hurt to ask, im not asking to be spoonfed. All i wanted was a quick helpful response (as i usually get on tsr), but instead im being told to go the long way around. I dont even mind doing so, but being told to search through thousands of old pages (which i did before i posted on here) is unhelpful.

Sorry if i come accross rude, but I would appreciate it if i could get some quick 10 second advice without being told to plough through a bible of threads

ReputationRep:
    It does not hurt to ask, im not asking to be spoonfed. All i wanted was a quick helpful response (as i usually get on tsr), but instead im being told to go the long way around. I dont even mind doing so, but being told to search through thousands of old pages (which i did before i posted on here) is unhelpful.

Sorry if i come accross rude, but I would appreciate it if i could get some quick 10 second advice without being told to plough through a bible of threads

Why is it, if they have the answers? [And I'll categorically guarantee they do]

I'll bet you I could find at least 5 threads on page 1 and 2 of this forum that would contain 99% of the answers you're looking for... Is that really too much to ask of someone?

If you weren't in so much of a tiz, you'd realise that I already have given you advice about where to start, but being in the shouty mood that you were, you missed it.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it, if they have the answers? [And I'll categorically guarantee they do]

I'll bet you I could find at least 5 threads on page 1 and 2 of this forum that would contain 99% of the answers you're looking for... Is that really too much to ask of someone?

If you weren't in so much of a tiz, you'd realise that I already have given you advice about where to start, but being in the shouty mood that you were, you missed it.
    Ive tried RAF careers, im even with altitude and joining up with the air cadets tomorrow. Im more likely to get answers there, but i dont see why someone couldnt have spared 20 seconds to post some quick advice instead of telling me to systematically search hundreds and hundreds of pages of threads.

And I accept your bet.

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried RAF careers, im even with altitude and joining up with the air cadets tomorrow. Im more likely to get answers there, but i dont see why someone couldnt have spared 20 seconds to post some quick advice instead of telling me to systematically search hundreds and hundreds of pages of threads.

And I accept your bet.
    Not just 5, but 6 threads giving you every answer you're going to need until you start looking at things in the nth degree.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ReputationRep:
    number 1, didnt have what i was looking for.
    number 2, is about a presentation informing and probing potential candidates' determination
    Ive read 3 & 4, and im presuming 5 & 6 are similar to them: they advise you on what you need to know after your application.

If i had the chance to explain, i would have been able to say that ive just completed my GCSEs, look forward to geting a levels and a degree in aeronautical engineering, and was wondering if (like medicine), a healthy experience of volunteering and activities like the DoE would make my application more appealing. I have read at least 4/6 of those threads before

And this is where the ever valuable 'common sense' needs applying.

Do you honestly think that having things like that would make an application less appealing?

You're enquiring about a job that, for every succesful candidate, has over 9,500 unsuccesful ones and you're wondering if things that would increase your abilities, widen your experiences and give you confidence would or would not be beneficial...... :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    And this is where the similarity ends, as it is alm0st a neccesity 2 have that experience 4 medicine. Im just trying to get a simple overview of the standards and atmosphere 4 an raf pilot. As i said, im going to seek help from other sources later on, ill post my findings so at least u know what im trying to ask.

Well, for a kick off you can stop any and all "txtspk".

Becoming a Pilot in the RAF is more competitive than any medicine degree, quite patently, you need do all in your power to make your application good, but as that is only half the process, it is not everything.

ReputationRep:

If i had the chance to explain, i would have been able to say that ive just completed my GCSEs, look forward to geting a levels and a degree in aeronautical engineering, and was wondering if (like medicine), a healthy experience of volunteering and activities like the DoE would make my application more appealing. I have read at least 4/6 of those threads before
    Up until this point, you had asked whether it's easy to get into the RAF as a pilot, which Drewski answered, and you asked what to do to increase your chances, which Drewski, ProStacker and Q_M all answered.

"I want to join the RAF, any advice?" is NOT a question which can be answered in 10 or even 20 seconds.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them - that's what the forum is for. We're lucky to have a number of serving members on here, and it would be appreciated by everyone if you wouldn't kick off by being rude (and yes, you were rude).

You say you've searched - incredibly, when I searched the Armed Forced forum for "Duke of Edinburgh" it came up with numerous threads that would have helped you. I am forced to the conclusion that you are not only rude, but you're either a liar, or you're too lazy to read a few threads, or don't have the necessary mental capacity to conduct a successful search on an internet forum. If you want to get into the RAF in any capacity, I suggest you address these failings.

People on this forum are an extremely helpful and knowledgeable bunch. If you put in a bit of effort on your own part, they'll recognise that and they WILL help you.

Rant over.

Now, to answer your question (again, since Drewski's answered that one as well), yes, the more voluntary activities the better. In particular, activities that show leadership - captaining the school football team, editing the school newspaper, organising a new club or society. Duke of Edinburgh is an excellent activity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.