Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are the United Kingdom, Germany and France the most important nations of Europe? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Economically:
    Russia although outside the EU is growing rapidly; it will never be quite USSR strong but it will be formidable.

Within the EU Spain is likely to overtake Italy, and is closing the gap on France.

Politically:
    The German French alliance is about closer integration, and leads that front.

The UK is more closely aligned with the east Europeans, Danes, and others in opposing that.

ReputationRep:
    Breakdown of number of MEP seats on EU Parliament

Germany 99
    UK 72
    France 72
    Italy 72
    Spain 50
    Poland 50

out of 736

in a more abstract question sense, yes UK Germany, France are the most important EU countries.With a bit of Italy and Spain i guess as well.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed these three countries are the three most prominent out of the EU member countries.

That may be due to their greater populations, which also led to greater economic clout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equinoxsolar)
    nope, its france and germany

uk will be a complete irellevance on the world stage in 5 years time.

scotland will become independent through a referendum later next year.
    england will be to small to have any significant weight.

Is there any proof to what you have written or is this just your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Breakdown of number of MEP seats on EU Parliament

Germany 99
    UK 72
    France 72
    Italy 72
    Spain 50
    Poland 50

out of 736

in a more abstract question sense, yes UK Germany, France are the most important EU countries.With a bit of Italy and Spain i guess as well.

Finally someone actually researched into it. Good answer.

ReputationRep:
    The Germans are the most politically and economically powerful nation in the EU. How ever those dumb Germans let the French and the smaller nations ride them like *****es. Germany has in fact reduced it's own voting power by it's own choice. Silly people really. They need to get over WWII.

The French like to think they are the most powerful. They were before Germany Unified. Until then they are influential but not important. UK is well to be honest UK isn't much. It doesn't help that we are so Anti-EU that the government has to act in such a manner it pisses the others off.

The one thing that gets me annoyed though are the Germans. Such a bunch of wimps. They actually REDUCED their voting powers. When Poland was acting like an idiot and came up with a voting formula that would suspicouly give it a nation of 38 million people just about the same voting power has Germany (82 Million) they didn't do anything.

I personally prefer the Germans lead the EU. Unlike the Italians,Spanish,and the Greeks they actually have common sense when they it comes to running their economy. Unlike the French or the British they don't go around the EU acting like idiots just because bunch of idiots working in a dying industry make wants their jobs to be protected.

A great example of German leadership is the Euro. It's basically run like the Deutsche Mark (German currency before the Euro). The French wanted the European Bank to focus on growth. The Germans thought that was a stupid idea and wanted it to focus on keeping inflation down. What happens? Oil hits a $148/ barrel. Americans are crying out while Europeans are safe and snug.

The French jealous of the German influence in the East want to undermine the EU by coming up with a Mediterranean Union that only Mediterranean members of the EU can be part of. The Germans think that's a stupid idea. The French then come up with a different idea that includes all EU members.

It's a bit sad that the one moment when the Germans should be TAKING power they don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    The Germans are the most politically and economically powerful nation in the EU.
    For the time being, you're probably right. However, it's expected that the United Kingdom's population and economy will overtake that of Germany's in the not too distant future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7938173.stm [Britain could have the biggest population in Europe by 2050 and be the third biggest recipient of migrants in the world, UN projections suggest.]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/dec/20/germany.eu [Germany's reputation as Europe's economic powerhouse was dealt a grievous blow yesterday when one of its most influential thinktanks named Britain as one of a group of countries poised to overtake it.]

Germany has in fact reduced it's own voting power by it's own choice. Silly people really.
    You have to be a tad more open mind and ask yourself why the Germans would have accepted a voting system where they have a relatively smaller say on matters. (Think strategically and in the long-term.)

UK is well to be honest UK isn't much.
    I think you're being unduly harsh. The UK has a permanent seat on the Security Council, it's a nuclear country, has the sixth largest economy in the world - second only to Germany in Europe (including Russia); exerts a cultural influence [i.e. soft power] over the rest of the world that's only superseded by America; is a founding member of the Commonwealth; possesses significant natural resources; etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all of that is great. But when you come down to it. Business goes along in the EU and ESA without us. There is to much eruoscepticism in the UK for the government to be effective in the Union,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    France? Don't be silly.

I believe Germany still has their spine.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._%28nominal%29

I think you'll find that France has overtaken the UK. France is in a better position economically speaking during this global recession and militarily speaking is second to none throughout the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baleful)
    I think you're being unduly harsh. The UK has a permanent seat on the Security Council, it's a nuclear country, has the sixth largest economy in the world - second only to Germany in Europe (including Russia); exerts a cultural influence [i.e. soft power] over the rest of the world that's only superseded by America; is a founding member of the Commonwealth; possesses significant natural resources; etc.
    Third in Europe, France has overtaken the UK and Italy isn't far behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._%28nominal%29

I think you'll find that France has overtaken the UK. France is in a better position economically speaking during this global recession and militarily speaking is second to none throughout the EU.
    On the other hand we can buy more than the french can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Militarily speaking the UK is the most powerful in europe, technically france's military spending is higher but if you take off their spending on the gendarmerie which is mainly just a domestic police force then they spend far less than the UK. France has 134k troops and the UK has 146K. 1044 aircraft are operated by the RAF to 560 by the french air force. The Royal Navy has 3 carriers to 1 french carrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFroggy)
    On the other hand we can buy more than the french can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Militarily speaking the UK is the most powerful in europe, technically france's military spending is higher but if you take off their spending on the gendarmerie which is mainly just a domestic police force then they spend far less than the UK. France has 134k troops and the UK has 146K. 1044 aircraft are operated by the RAF to 560 by the french air force. The Royal Navy has 3 carriers to 1 french carrier.
    France will have a very capable military in the next 10-20 years though.

Future developments

The French Navy is undertaking a significant reinforcement, both in modernising and in number, under the Projet de loi de programmation militaire 2003–2008 (Military programme law project 2003–2008), which notably calls for:

* Two Horizon frigates (the Forbin and Chevalier Paul) that are now fitting out;
    * 11 FREMM multipurpose frigates—eight have so far been ordered, the first of which is due to be delivered in 2012.
    * Six nuclear attack submarines of the Barracuda class—the first commissioning (the Suffren) being expected for 2017.
    * On 18 April 2009, construction of 3rd Mistral class amphibious assault ship was started. A fourth ship may also be built.
    * Four L-Cat (CNIM's new Landing craft) were also ordered.
    * A second aircraft carrier, the Future French aircraft carrier. This project appears delayed almost indefinately as of late 2008.

ReputationRep:
    France will have a very capable military in the next 10-20 years though.

Future developments

The French Navy is undertaking a significant reinforcement, both in modernising and in number, under the Projet de loi de programmation militaire 2003–2008 (Military programme law project 2003–2008), which notably calls for:

* Two Horizon frigates (the Forbin and Chevalier Paul) that are now fitting out;
    * 11 FREMM multipurpose frigates—eight have so far been ordered, the first of which is due to be delivered in 2012.
    * Six nuclear attack submarines of the Barracuda class—the first commissioning (the Suffren) being expected for 2017.
    * On 18 April 2009, construction of 3rd Mistral class amphibious assault ship was started. A fourth ship may also be built.
    * Four L-Cat (CNIM's new Landing craft) were also ordered.
    * A second aircraft carrier, the Future French aircraft carrier. This project appears delayed almost indefinitely as of late 2008.
    We are building 2 new carriers that are the largest and most powerful non-american ones in the world. Plus the 10 new type 45 destroyers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFroggy)
    We are building 2 new carriers that are the largest and most powerful non-american ones in the world. Plus the 10 new type 45 destroyers.
    Isn't the UK also adding a new nuclear submarine class to replace the current Vanguard class?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the UK also adding a new nuclear submarine class to replace the current Vanguard class?
    I think there still being designed so there a long time off.

ReputationRep:
    uk will be a complete irellevance on the world stage in 5 years time.

scotland will become independent through a referendum later next year.
    england will be to small to have any significant weight.
    ...So losing perhaps 8% of the national population, some of its least productive agricultural land, and access to failing North Sea Gas Reserves is going to shoot England to hell?

Mhm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirRaven)
    ...So losing perhaps 8% of the national population, some of its least productive agricultural land, and access to failing North Sea Gas Reserves is going to shoot England to hell?

Mhm.
    no, that would just be the nail in the coffin.

england is already shot to hell thanks to labour

ReputationRep:
    england is already shot to hell thanks to labour
    And how, pray tell, have you reached this conclusion?

As far as I can see, the country's in no worse shape than it's been since Thatcher's slash-and-burn approach to industry tore the industrial base to shreds.

ReputationRep:
    Seems both France and Germany have come out of this recession finally; looks like economically they are very powerful in Europe, and I wouldn't put it past them to get even stronger. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8198766.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirRaven)
    And how, pray tell, have you reached this conclusion?

As far as I can see, the country's in no worse shape than it's been since Thatcher's slash-and-burn approach to industry tore the industrial base to shreds.

ummm, when labour came to power in 1997 the UK had the seocnd largest economy in europe, economic growth and no ongoing large military operations.

since then the UK has been surpassed by France and is in danger of lagging behind Italy. There is no growth for the UK economy predicted for the next 1 year, and when it doesfinally happen the economy will bre precisely the same size as when labour took office in 97'.

yet, the country will have half a trillion in debt. So, once the recession is over, the sun doesn't rise. We will be paying of this debt with higher taxes for the rest of our lives. Now i dont intend to squander my chance in life by funding labour's idiocy. I will be moving abroad.
    i suggest you do to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.