Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    hehe im not asking you to answer the questions, more contemplate what nurses face, seems trivial i know..and its the basic care doctors don't always think about, a doctor has never asked myself or my mentor whether a patient is developing a pressure sore, and what the care plan is- unless we have a concern and tell him/her. Surgical wards are a lottttt of giving out medication, and basic care like personal hygiene, reassurance, health promotion..prepping etc, not my cup of tea nursing wise, personally i want to be out there with the wound/community care, i'd love to be a tissue viability nurse or maybe something in critical care (but need to wait till 2nd year/3rd year for that) thing is there are so many areas nurses work in and all of their roles differ and change...for example all a nurse in an outpatients oncology centre, would be different to an ITU nurse
    Geriatricians often ask about that actually, as they generally have to treat a patient a lot more holistically than other departments such as opthamology or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Nurses earning more than doctors? I'd eat my own liver. :o:

N.B. You can't throw that "Senior ead nurses get 50k vs 30k a junior doctor that just graduated med school." You know that's not fair. Got in there before anyone else. Don't even know why I'm in this thread. Didn't even apply to medicine.
    I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. I was responding to your second point, not your first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LozengeC)
    Geriatricians often ask about that actually, as they generally have to treat a patient a lot more holistically than other departments such as opthamology or something.

ahhh fair enough, i've only ever done care of elderly work on night shifts, so had little doctor interaction! Oh I love care of elderly..i'm not high, honest! Just loving what im doing atm lol

(Original post by bottfly7)
    Yes they can. Look up Nurse Practitioner. Sort of like a GP, except they get paid 4 times less.

This is one of the slip ups to the question "Why do you want to be a doctor and not a nurse?". Other comon misconceptions are:

1. Nurses CAN prescribe.
    2. Nurses DO lead teams- just look at Walk-in centres

Plus many more.
    Nurses can prescribe - but only under VERY strict guidelines/tick boxes. Only a limited amount of medications too.

Nurses can lead teams...of nurses/HCAs. Not doctors. And again, they do so under supervision. All walk in centres have a doctor overseeing matters.

ReputationRep:
    I was sooo ready for this question, and then I didn't get asked it =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. I was responding to your second point, not your first.
    I'm completely confused now.

On a completely random note; why are there advertisments of TSR in TSR? Is that not going a bit far?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Nurses can prescribe - but only under VERY strict guidelines/tick boxes. Only a limited amount of medications too.

Nurses can lead teams...of nurses/HCAs. Not doctors. And again, they do so under supervision. All walk in centres have a doctor overseeing matters.

question, i know i should know this, but ward managment, doesn't that come under orgainising when ward rounds are, when there is protected mealtimes (ie no doctors) and ward meetings? or does the ward manager work with the consultant on this level?

ReputationRep:
    question, i know i should know this, but ward managment, doesn't that come under orgainising when ward rounds are, when there is protected mealtimes (ie no doctors) and ward meetings? or does the ward manager work with the consultant on this level?
    afaik ward stuff = nursey stuff

ReputationRep:
    ahhh fair enough, i've only ever done care of elderly work on night shifts, so had little doctor interaction! Oh I love care of elderly..i'm not high, honest! Just loving what im doing atm lol
    Same here, you get to do almost all areas of medicine on the same ward, and all differnet types of people. Plus I love the holistic aspect.

Community hospitals by design are also consider the smaller aspects of the patients are, well at least the ones I visited on work experience.

ReputationRep:
    It may very between trusts but over here it is up to conultants to decide when they would like to have their ward round (so that it fits round theatre, clinics etc). It is not for the ward manager to dictate. :eek: As for mealtimes that is dictated by the kitchen and catering staff. (Our patients eat when kitchen porter decides to finally turn up and dish out the food).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LozengeC)
    Same here, you get to do almost all areas of medicine on the same ward, and all differnet types of people. Plus I love the holistic aspect.

Community hospitals by design are also consider the smaller aspects of the patients are, well at least the ones I visited on work experience.

aww are you a med student? In nottingham/derby?

I just enjoy how general it is, plus old people are the funnest to work with, and if you're ever bored just go talk to one of them and they always appreciate it..plus i love the care delievered, its my favourite 'type' of care, i dont think i want to end up working in CofE, but i enjoy it as a HCA/student, good chance to pratice bls too, but that is a selfish reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    It may very between trusts but over here it is up to conultants to decide when they would like to have their ward round (so that it fits round theatre, clinics etc). It is not for the ward manager to dictate. :eek: As for mealtimes that is dictated by the kitchen and catering staff. (Our patients eat when kitchen porter decides to finally turn up and dish out the food).

ahh ive seen on one ward round the nurses tell them when they like them to do ward rounds etc lol and the mealtimes decided by nurses, probably depends on the area/trust

ReputationRep:
    ahh ive seen on one ward round the nurses tell them when they like them to do ward rounds etc lol and the mealtimes decided by nurses, probably depends on the area/trust
    Intresting. I wonder how it works. Mr/Dr So and so I would like you to turn up and do your ward round at 10:30. It fits so nicely between washes and lunch time. You have other commitments?! Patients in need of attention in outpatients and theatre? Students to teach? Well I don't care about that. What's important is the ward routine. Fair enough if the nursing staff say that they can be themselves avaiable at such and such a time. However to dictate when doctors can actualy do their job seems a bit OTT to me. :confused: Unless it ties in with the protected meal times dictat (which is a fine idea IMO).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    Intresting. I wonder how it works. Mr/Dr So and so I would like you to turn up and do your ward round at 10:30. It fits so nicely between washes and lunch time. You have other commitments?! Patients in need of attention in outpatients and theatre? Students to teach? Well I don't care about that. What's important is the ward routine. Fair enough if the nursing staff say that they can be themselves avaiable at such and such a time. However to dictate when doctors can actualy do their job seems a bit OTT to me. :confused:

i didn't get involved, it was discussed at a team meeting/handover as some nurses were feeling they were having to delay jobs, i agree i dont see what the issue is..and if im honest its something that could have been sorted by time managment, and the night staff preparing things etc, but the nurses had their say and the doctors had to ask to start a ward round the week after

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's studyin medicine to become a doc but he's far from caring!!!

ReputationRep:
    Responsibility
    Surgery
    Diagnosing
    Interest in advanced medical science ie above what nurses are taught
    To be honest the reason are becoming less obvious now that nurse practitioners exist. Medicine is what I really want to do and if I became a nurse id spend my life kicking myself for not atleast applying a few more times for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Has this thread gone to pot as Nurses call medics *******s and medics call nurses thick? I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thing.

The ward 'manager' has no control over when ward rounds are, thats down to the individual consultants with some control from the lead consultants.

Protected meal times are invariably at lunch and dinner time - which is dictated by the kitchens, not the ward staff.

Besides, telling a doctor when they CAN'T do their job is not the same as managing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    The ward 'manager' has no control over when ward rounds are, thats down to the individual consultants with some control from the lead consultants.

Protected meal times are invariably at lunch and dinner time - which is dictated by the kitchens, not the ward staff.

Besides, telling a doctor when they CAN'T do their job is not the same as managing them.
    thanks, i HAVE been on a ward where the meal times were dictated by the nurses however, but maybe it depends on the hospital. I tend to switch off when the term 'ward managment' is mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    Nurses and doctors are just as vital, both just as hard-working (my mum worked as a nurse in both Adult and General, and is now an Assistant Director- she should know). I have the brains to do a medicine degree, there is no doubt about that, but I would rather be a nurse and work my way up in the NHS managerial-sector after I have had sufficient experience as a nurse. Nurses can work their way up and be equally successful as some who trained as a doctor, my mum and others are examples. I am training to be a Mental Health nurse, rather than Adult, however as I would personally gain more from this area of work

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.