Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    o right and nurses don't get protected breaks..?
    They certainly do in every hospital I've worked.
    In my current place a 2 hour protected break. during the 12hour night shift
    i was joking, and we can't sleep during a break, and its only an hour if there is time to take that full hour, still...lighten up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    is that why the nurses write 'doctors informed' anytime poo goes down then?
    Because they feel it is necessary to tell their 'not seniors' but colleagues..?

hmm....

to quote a military phrase "you are confusing your pay grade with my Authority ... "

You inform the most appropriate member of the team when you run out of options without your job role ...

as for you r comments things don't get done on wards where staff are lazy, not on wards where Nursing staff take their professional responsibilities seriously ... it is also remarkable how blinkered a view medical staff have of the realities of managing a group of patients and the conflicting demands placed upon the time of nursing staff.

as for things not being done ... shall we talk about the jobs left in the Junior's work files or on the white board for days or the discharges delayed by the fact that junior medical staff haven't reviewed and transcribed medication for discharge on units without Nurse Prescribers ( i.e. everywhere other than CCU, A+E and Maternity / Neonates in many places)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Has this thread gone to pot as Nurses call medics *******s and medics call nurses thick? I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thing.
    Its intellectual level didn't even get that high. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    A doctor does NOT out rank a Nurse , a Doctor makes a request to the nursing Staff in the plans of care they prescribe.
    Whilst I agree in part with what you are saying this phrase stinks of coming from a paperpusher's half thought out ideology in order to make us all more happy as a team.

If I go and work in the US or the Philippines etc.. where there are "Doctor's orders" does that mean I do "outrank" a nurse? :rolleyes:

As I have said many times before your portrayal of acrimony and poor working relationships between nurses and doctors I find completely exaggerated and opposite to the good working relations that exists in the vast majority of hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    you need to prove this assertion

show me a job description which states that a Registered Nurse is responsible to a Doctor and i'll believe you

10 + years in clinical practice says otherwise.

or are you one of those Doctors ?

there are 2 situations i'vve been in when i was managed by a Doctor

1. in an emergency dept in a small trust where we had a Lead consultant and a Matron but no general manager , the Lead consultant however did have protected time and additional secretarial support to undertake General manager Duties - so that was where the general manager for the unit happened to be a Doctor

2. in a multidisciplinary management group within a voluntary sector healthcare group where the functional team at that time was lead by a Doctor, I also remained accountable to the lead nurse for my clinicla Nursing role and to Lead Paramedic as someoen who crews Ambulances ... again this was a case of the 'general manager' happening to be a Doctor

in my NHS roles the lines of accountabilty have been and remain

Support workers -> Registered nurses -> Shift leaders /Team Leaders -> Senior Sister/ Charge Nurse (ward manager) -> Matron -> Divisional director of nursing -> Trust director of nursing.
    Il take the "immature" route as i cannot be bothered to argue with a bull headed moron. :blah: end of the day, Dr says give the patient this, Nurses do it. End.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Trying to send you a PM :p:

ReputationRep:
    Il take the "immature" route as i cannot be bothered to argue with a bull headed moron. :blah: end of the day, Dr says give the patient this, Nurses do it. End.
    enjoy your disciplinaries, and GMC moment of fame ... then get used to the idea that that customer service for you after that will involve asking people if they they want fries with that or if they wish to 'go large'.

immature really is the word to describe your stunning lack of knowledge and insight into professional accountability and responsibility ... that said very few junior doctors realise just how much of their arse is saved by Nurses, ODPs and Pharmacists becssue we don't rub it in and even sometimes forget to do the IR1 that really ought to have been done and would have ended up with your supervising consultant ...

ReputationRep:
    enjoy your disciplinaries, and GMC moment of fame ... then get used to the idea that that customer service for you after that will involve asking people if they they want fries with that or if they wish to 'go large'.

immature really is the word to describe your stunning lack of knowledge and insight into professional accountability and responsibility ... that said very few junior doctors realise just how much of their arse is saved by Nurses, ODPs and Pharmacists becssue we don't rub it in and even sometimes forget to do the IR1 that really ought to have been done and would have ended up with your supervising consultant ...
    Does anyone else understand what she's saying? FYI i'm a ward clerk now, i'm sure you hate them too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nurses harbour a lot of resentment. Even between each other, they are vultures, anal-retentive and narcissistic.

Of course I generalise ridiculously.

to quote a military phrase "you are confusing your pay grade with my Authority ... "

You inform the most appropriate member of the team when you run out of options without your job role ...

as for you r comments things don't get done on wards where staff are lazy, not on wards where Nursing staff take their professional responsibilities seriously ... it is also remarkable how blinkered a view medical staff have of the realities of managing a group of patients and the conflicting demands placed upon the time of nursing staff.

as for things not being done ... shall we talk about the jobs left in the Junior's work files or on the white board for days or the discharges delayed by the fact that junior medical staff haven't reviewed and transcribed medication for discharge on units without Nurse Prescribers ( i.e. everywhere other than CCU, A+E and Maternity / Neonates in many places)
    juniors work files?
    Whiteboard jobs?
    And do the juniors put a message back with their questions as to why the job needs doing...? :p:

As for discharges being delayed, I know that nurses always love every medication to be TTO'd on admission, but pharmacists do not. Because, believe it or not, but we do actually make changes to drugs once in a while.

Its inevitably pharmacist led approaches that sorts this out.
    Also depends on the hospital. I've been in some where discharges were paper based - not easy to start well in advance. Others have been computer based so you can edit.

Me, I like to work a day ahead of myself. That way if i get an unexpectedly busy day/off day I'm still ahead of the game.

Still, same pathetic Dr v Nurse Prac horsecrud as ever. Nurses invariably change their opinion when its ONLY nurse pracs they're dealing with.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't want to be a nurse. Simple as that.

EDIT: The usual suspects have already screwed the thread up. Poor show :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    In order to judge a ward clerk I just look at their desk and keyboard.
    The bad ones invariably have a crunchy keyboard and a filthy/messy desk.
    Im very tidy

Im very tidy
    I'm a bit OCD about dirty keyboards. Don't know why, but always feel the need to fold a piece of paper and run it in the gap between keys. When you pull out half a packet of crisps along with enough hair to cover a middle aged iranian man you KNOW theres some poor cleaning going on!

ReputationRep:
    OK, can we get this back on topic please and end the bickering and personal attacks? It's not just one person who's at fault but a few. I know a topic like this will inevitably bring up a bit of a Dr V Nurse rivalry, it's to be expected, but let's try and be mature adults about it. This was an interesting discussion at first but over these last two pages has descended into spam and, well, crap to be honest. If it continues I'll be forced to close the thread and warn any offenders and I'd rather not do that.

So please play nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I'm a bit OCD about dirty keyboards. Don't know why, but always feel the need to fold a piece of paper and run it in the gap between keys. When you pull out half a packet of crisps along with enough hair to cover a middle aged iranian man you KNOW theres some poor cleaning going on!
    Well lets face it, dirty keyboard, dirty fingers, bacteria, ill patients. All a very bad combo, i like to keep everything really clean as its a children's ward too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Ignoring the job at the end, I don't think I could ever be do a nursing degree (or is it a diploma?). The course only gives a basic level of detail. I've always been frustrated at school when you're reading one of your course books, get to point where it starts to get interesting, and it says 'The mechanism of this is beyond the scope of this course!"

Don't want to do medicine mind, but I just don't like things being watered down. I feel cheated.
    Unfortunately you even have this in a medical course, even a medical one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo.)
    They're both caring careers. Both in medicine obvs. Why not nursing? If you fail at medicine would you become a nurse?
    Ermm because I have nearly 100% in 5 A-Levels and extension papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Frankly if you are after something intellectually challenging look somewhere other than medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    BSc and PhD in particle physics, then a job at CERN?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.