Turn on thread page Beta

Real heroes: soldier refuses to return to Afghanistan watch

ReputationRep:
    Lance Corporal Joe Glenton is bravely refusing to return to Afghanistan because he has correctly identified this as an unjust war. He is also facing up to the consequences because he is being court martialed.

Afghan mission will fail - soldier
    http://tinyurl.com/mhlwz7

Here is the text of the letter he has sent to downing street:
    Dear Mr. Brown,

I am writing to you as a serving soldier in the British army to express my views and concerns on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

It is my primary concern that the courage and tenacity of my fellow soldiers has become a tool of American foreign policy. I believe this unethical short-changing of such proud men and women has caused immeasurable suffering not only to families of British service personnel who have been killed and injured, but also to the noble people of Afghanistan.

I have seen qualities in the Afghan people which have also been for so long apparent and admired in the British soldier. Qualities of robustness, humour, utter determination and unwillingness to take a step backwards. However it is these qualities, on both sides, which I fear will continue to cause a state of attrition. These will only lead to more heartbreak within both our societies.

I am not a general nor am I a politician and I cannot claim any mastery of strategy. However, I am a soldier who has served in Afghanistan, which has given me some small insight.

I believe that when British military personnel submit themselves to the service of the nation and put their bodies into harm's way, the government that sends them into battle is obliged to ensure that the cause is just and right, i.e. for the protection of life and liberty.

The war in Afghanistan is not reducing the terrorist risk, far from improving Afghan lives it is bringing death and devastation to their country. Britain has no business there.
    I do not believe that our cause in Afghanistan is just or right. I implore you, Sir, to bring our soldiers home.

Yours sincerely,

Joe Glenton
    Lance/Corporal, Royal Logistics Corps
    http://tinyurl.com/n2kmyh

ReputationRep:
    He should be court martialled. No matter how much I agree with his points you can't have soldiers picking and choosing when they fight. Its not up to the army to decide which war is just, its up to us as voters and the politicians we elect.

Good luck to him, but really he shouldnt have joined the army.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why he doesn't want to go back but if every soldier did this then we would effectively not have an army. An army is for war, not for doing training exercises - if this guy starts a trend they're getting paid to practice for practice sake.

ReputationRep:
    Good on him. It might not be up to soldiers to decide when they fight, but they have the right as human beings not to fight if they so wish.

He is standing up for something he believes in and I say fair play. If he gets court martialled then so be it he obviously has no place in the army anyway.

(Original post by mfm89)
    He should be court martialled. No matter how much I agree with his points you can't have soldiers picking and choosing when they fight. Its not up to the army to decide which war is just, its up to us as voters and the politicians we elect.

It's up to us voters, is it? I don't remember the electorate ever supporting this war.

Then again I do actually agree with your point: why did this fellow join the army? I would never agree to being part of the governments murder-squad, that's the last thing I would ever want to do.

ReputationRep:
    You lose the right to decide when are where you want to fight when you sign up to be in the army, and this is obvious. If you don't want to fight in Afghanistan, don't join the army.

ReputationRep:
    I can kinda see his point. The British wrote the book on conflict in Afghanistan. The most important part was "Always plan your inevitable retreat".

I think we forgot to learn from our mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
    Good on him. It might not be up to soldiers to decide when they fight, but they have the right as human beings not to fight if they so wish.

He is standing up for something he believes in and I say fair play. If he gets court martialled then so be it he obviously has no place in the army anyway.
    Not whilst they're in the armed forces they don't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    It's up to us voters, is it? I don't remember the electorate ever supporting this war.

Then again I do actually agree with your point: why did this fellow join the army? I would never agree to being part of the governments murder-squad, that's the last thing I would ever want to do.
    Well, we re-elected the government that started it. However dubious the electoral system is. We are also about to elect another government that also supports it. Opinion polls before this summers increase in death toll have also been pretty consistent in supporting the Afghan war.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to use your free will, don't join the army.

It's unfortunate that this guy only realised what the armed forces actually do, but then again what did he expect when he joined?

ReputationRep:
    Well, i do agree with what he says, but you can't have soldiers choosing whether they want to fight or not, discipline is one of the most important aspect of a professional army. If he signed up, he should do what he is told, this is his job; so if he refuses to do so he should be court marshaled.
    However; i do strongly agree with what he wrote on that letter to the prime minister; maybe he should become a politician....

ReputationRep:
    going to war would've been in his terms of service. It's no different to turning up to your office job and refusing to do as you're told.

tough crap i say.

ReputationRep:
    Moron.

When you voluntarily join the army, you forfeit the right to ethical objections.

ReputationRep:
    He is gonna get court martialled, fine but why r they gonna jail him for 2 years after that? Surely he has his own free will and he can resign as he wishes init?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)

This.

ReputationRep:
    For once a British soldier who is actually a hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    As opposed to...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    And he's going to get thrown in jail for it.

Hahahahahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    And he's going to get thrown in jail for it.

Hahahahahahaha.
    I dont understand y?
    They r court martialling him, fair enough but surely hez gotta free will of his own. Cant he resign when he wants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    I dont understand y?
    They r court martialling him, fair enough but surely hez gotta free will of his own. Cant he resign when he wants?
    No coz he'z brakin a c0ntract like.

He fites 4 his countree not 'imself.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.