Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    I dont understand y?
    They r court martialling him, fair enough but surely hez gotta free will of his own. Cant he resign when he wants?
    you have to sign up for a certain minimum amount of time.
    otherwise you would just have loads of soldiers resigning cos they dont agree with war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    you have to sign up for a certain minimum amount of time.
    otherwise you would just have loads of soldiers resigning cos they dont agree with war.
    o rite! how long is the contract?

ReputationRep:
    varies depending on different roles i think. around 5 or 6 years i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    varies depending on different roles i think. around 5 or 6 years i believe
    kl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)
    He should be court martialled. No matter how much I agree with his points you can't have soldiers picking and choosing when they fight. Its not up to the army to decide which war is just, its up to us as voters and the politicians we elect.

Good luck to him, but really he shouldnt have joined the army.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)
    He should be court martialled. No matter how much I agree with his points you can't have soldiers picking and choosing when they fight. Its not up to the army to decide which war is just, its up to us as voters and the politicians we elect.

Good luck to him, but really he shouldnt have joined the army.
    It's seldom as simple as that, though. People join the army for different reasons and many of them don't know the consequences of the massive choice they make. Say someone joins when they're 17 or 18 and unemployed because of a pathetic government. He has all these romantic ideas of nationalism and patriotism at the time. He doesn't really understand what he's signing up to. Suddenly, you've been in the army for a couple of years and the full realisation of what lies ahead dawns on you. Suddenly, it's not about a uniform and having sex when you're back home, but it's about a war which your moral compass tells you is unethical.

Then what? What do these people do? I understand the practical problems it could cause, but surely as a human being it's ultimately his right to make the final decision of whether he is capable of killing another human being?

I also don't know much about army mentality as I've never been in such a situation, but I can imagine that a soldier who doesn't think the war is just and ethical isn't going to have the 'right' mentality out there on the battlefield. Instead, he'll be a liability to himself and his Comrades out there, which isn't in anyone's interests. Yet he could be coerced into going back to the army because he doesn't want to go to jail.

I honestly think this is a big problem that needs addressing.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, for one we shouldn't be going to war for morally dubious reasons.

Still, although I have sympathy, its not the soldiers place. He won't have to be a soldier forever and afterwards should campaign against it.

ReputationRep:
    It is my primary concern that the courage and tenacity of my fellow soldiers has become a tool of American foreign policy. I believe this unethical short-changing of such proud men and women has caused immeasurable suffering not only to families of British service personnel who have been killed and injured, but also to the noble people of Afghanistan.

The war in Afghanistan is not reducing the terrorist risk, far from improving Afghan lives it is bringing death and devastation to their country. Britain has no business there.
    So he thinks the suffering of 'noble' Afghans will decrease if the Taliban are allowed to go back? What a ridiculous human being. And he thinks that the UK would be safer is these sorts of people were in allowed in power? It's not like they don't have a history of giving sanctuary to terrorists which have attacked/plan to attack us.

Robin Cook is still right about Afghanistan;

A stable, democratic and secure Afghanistan is critical to defeat Al Qaeda and prevent the resurgence of extremism in Central Asia and around the world. The U.S. and international troops who have been risking their lives every day on our behalf in Afghanistan deserve help. And the Afghan people deserve at long last a commitment that can be measured in real accomplishments, not just more promises. The challenge is one that the U.S., Britain, NATO and the rest of the international community can and must take on - with renewed vigor, and with the full force of our military, political and economic might.
    Source.

ReputationRep:
    He is not a politican-leave that to the men in suits. He is a soldier and is disobeying orders from the goverment, yet this is what he agreed to when he signed on the dotted line. So he should be given a dishonorable discharge and preferably sent to military prison for a few years.

ROFLMAO at the title of this thread, a warped definition of a hero, a soldier who doesn't do his job.

ReputationRep:
    good on him... people shouldnt be going out their to give up their lives if they dont to.. and no u cant just resign from teh army... thats why its such a horrible career... once ur in your stuck for 4 years or something however much u dont want to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    So he thinks the suffering of 'noble' Afghans will decrease if the Taliban are allowed to go back? What a ridiculous human being. And he thinks that the UK would be safer is these sorts of people were in allowed in power? It's not like they don't have a history of giving sanctuary to terrorists which have attacked/plan to attack us.
    This is all true and his letter is full of crap, but to me the real issue here is disobeying orders. It's like a policeman who one day decides to stop arresting criminals or a doctor who decides to kill rather then save lives. You can't pick and choose. He signed up to something and he is breaking his contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    So he thinks the suffering of 'noble' Afghans will decrease if the Taliban are allowed to go back? What a ridiculous human being. And he thinks that the UK would be safer is these sorts of people were in allowed in power?
    You speak as if when we leave they are going to just stroll back into Kabul and pick up where they left off. The Afghan people dont want the Taleban there anymore. This is a completely different situation to what it was in the 90's when the Taleban took control of a country that was split into countless warring factions, of which the Taliban was the largest and most powerful, compare that to the Taliban now, they are a minority among the tribes made up mostly of mostly foreign fighters, with tired old equipment. For the most part the Afghan people are now united against the Taleban, they have their own army and police force, and to be honest the amount of individuals who own a gun would amount to a national militia that numbers in the miliions. So i ask you again, what makes you thinkk they will take back power so easily?

ReputationRep:
    Well at least he had the guts to stand up instead of just shooting himself in the foot or something to get discharged. He might have signed up whilst he was still really a kid, and people change.

I've never been to Afganistan [obvs], he has, and until now he has done his job so as a civilian I don't think I have any right to tell him to go back there to risk his life.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, he's right that the war is balls, but he really shouldn't have joined the army in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    He should be lined up against a wall and shot. Decimate the regiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    Well at least he had the guts to stand up instead of just shooting himself in the foot or something to get discharged. He might have signed up whilst he was still really a kid, and people change.
    lol, what? Shooting yourself in the foot? You do realise how silly and ignorant that makes you sound right?

Apparently he signed up in 2004, so you can hardly excuse him as being unaware of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    thats why its such a horrible career... once ur in your stuck for 4 years or something however much u dont want to be there.
    :facepalm: Wrong...

Reading some of these comments, and seeing the intensity with which some people proclaim their 'knowledge' of the Armed Forces, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    yeah, he's right that the war is balls, but he really shouldn't have joined the army in the first place.

Im not being funny, but war often looks cool on the television to young people (myself included) I expect the reality for this soldier was completely different, and it's not as if he can just up and leave. That has worse consequences than disobeying orders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    lol, what? Shooting yourself in the foot? You do realise how silly and ignorant that makes you sound right?

Apparently he signed up in 2004, so you can hardly excuse him as being unaware of the situation.
    Yep, I am ignorant in this case. I have no idea of the horrors of warfare and sure as hell I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it so I have a lot of respect for the armed forces.

I used to have the mentality of "well if they want to go and get themselves blown up then let them, they know what they are getting into so why should I care?" but it's not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Britain has no business there.
    :adore:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.