Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Nah, the Afghans just skin you and roll you in salt. Pompey girls are much more vindictive :p:
    Agreed :shy2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Agreed :shy2:
    You didn't, did you?

You did? Aww, mannn...

ReputationRep:
    But as the article shows, the troops and the ground war is only part of our struggle, The afghans are getting tired of us, and he points out that we are creating more extremists than we are destroying.
    This is kinda what I was getting at. I thought I'd mentioned about creating more extremists but I didn't.

We need a quick and hard end to the struggle, something that cannot be achieved with the current manpower. Long drawn out campaigns never end well. Overwhelming force through manoeuvre warfare. We need enough manpower to actively isolate and destroy cells and pockets of Taliban forces, whilst still having enough soldiers to provide adequate defence and security.

We could potentially utilise the Afghan forces for this task, but as history shows, no soldier has ever been as good as the British soldier.

Oh also please note, i'm focusing on the military strategy of the war; not the political side. Military strategy I know about, politics...not so much.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't, did you?

You did? Aww, mannn...

:rofl2: Funnily enough (alcohol is probably to blame) not one girl from that area who has had the privilege, has looked as if she belongs outside of seaworld if you get my drift

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2: Funnily enough (alcohol is probably to blame) not one girl from that area who has had the privilege, has looked as if she belongs outside of seaworld if you get my drift
    Jesus, you went back for more? :hat2:

Upholding the Forces tradition :beer:

ReputationRep:
    Soldiers defer broad moral judgements to their superiors when they join the army. In this situation he may feel he has enough information to make a sould judgement but regardless he must face court martial. Soldiers can't decide when they will and will not fight, they enlist knowing that they will have to fight regardless on his feelings about the war; if he wasn't conscripted, he chose to join the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swi1ch)
    This is kinda what I was getting at. I thought I'd mentioned about creating more extremists but I didn't.

We need a quick and hard end to the struggle, something that cannot be achieved with the current manpower. Long drawn out campaigns never end well. Overwhelming force through manoeuvre warfare. We need enough manpower to actively isolate and destroy cells and pockets of Taliban forces, whilst still having enough soldiers to provide adequate defence and security.

We could potentially utilise the Afghan forces for this task, but as history shows, no soldier has ever been as good as the British soldier.

Oh also please note, i'm focusing on the military strategy of the war; not the political side. Military strategy I know about, politics...not so much.

I agree with the quick hard end in regards to the military strategy. But our political strategy is undermining the valiant efforts of our troops, in a way we are doing more damage to our campaign han the Taleban are.

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you that at the end of basic training, they are even more under the impression that the warry stuff is cool, and there will always be one or two for who the reality is too much.

It's all well and good you assuming how this guy feels my little chickenhawk, but you cannot pass judgement until you have been out there yourself (and lets be honest, it isnt going to happen is it)
    Well I am not British so no How about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, you went back for more? :hat2:

Upholding the Forces tradition :beer:

As one of my old oppos used to say, "where theres a whale theres a way"

:laugh:Im not actually sure what it means, but i get the general gist..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the quick hard end in regards to the military strategy. But our political strategy is undermining the valiant efforts of our troops, in a way we are doing more damage to our campaign han the Taleban are.
    The political side I don't know jack about, that's Folderol's argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Well I am not British so no How about yourself?
    Funny that, we're not the only nation out there chum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ploder)
    Lance Corporal Joe Glenton is bravely refusing to return to Afghanistan because he has correctly identified this as an unjust war. He is also facing up to the consequences because he is being court martialed.

Afghan mission will fail - soldier
    http://tinyurl.com/mhlwz7

Here is the text of the letter he has sent to downing street:

http://tinyurl.com/n2kmyh
    I say good luck to him; at least he's not blindly fighting just for the sake of war.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that, we're not the only nation out there chum...
    Think you missed the point lol

I would only fight for one nation...

ReputationRep:
    As one of my old oppos used to say, "where theres a whale theres a way"

:laugh:Im not actually sure what it means, but i get the general gist..
    If all else fails, grab a whale :yep:

I'm down Pompey way in a few weeks time actually, might have to stop off and admire the local lovelies encase myself in a suit of plate armour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Think you missed the point lol

I would only fight for one nation...
    Surely if you've been 'out there', the nation you're serving is, within reason, immaterial?

ReputationRep:
    Lance Corporal Joe Glenton is bravely refusing to return to Afghanistan because he has correctly identified this as an unjust war. He is also facing up to the consequences because he is being court martialed.

Afghan mission will fail - soldier
    http://tinyurl.com/mhlwz7

Here is the text of the letter he has sent to downing street:

http://tinyurl.com/n2kmyh
    Rubbish. If you sign up to the Army, you know what you're getting. You're paid to be deployed whether it clashes with your personal ideology or not. Don't join (sensible option) in the first place. He's got no right to complain in my opinion, and deserves any punishment he gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    I say good luck to him; at least he's not blindly fighting just for the sake of war.

Its his job to blindly fight for the sake of war, that is what he signed up to, he is an impartial civil servant that defers judgement to those above him. If he wanted to make a stand against unjust wars he should have become a politician or an activist NOT a soldier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    Its his job to blindly fight for the sake of war, that is what he signed up to, he is an impartial civil servant that defers judgement to those above him. If he wanted to make a stand against unjust wars he should have become a politician or an activist NOT a soldier.
    I know that, that's why I wished him luck =]

ReputationRep:
    I support him and his objections, we'll have to wait and see how history interprets this though.

Surely it's no different to the soldiers who refused to fight in Vietnam? At first the government branded them criminals but the American public remembers Vietnam as a mistake and those who refused to fight as decent people.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen qualities in the Afghan people which have also been for so long apparent and admired in the British soldier. Qualities of robustness, humour, utter determination and unwillingness to take a step backwards. However it is these qualities, on both sides, which I fear will continue to cause a state of attrition. These will only lead to more heartbreak within both our societies.
    There is something unbecomming about the letter. I thought the soldiers were fighting Taliban, not the Afghan people. So if the soldier was impressed by Taliban's ''humour'', which I doubt they have, ''robustness'' built upon delusion, irrational ''determination'' to fight & ''unwillingness'' to change their unsound standpoints, and thus he decided not to fight them, it would have been something I could understand.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.