Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Real heroes: soldier refuses to return to Afghanistan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    The US is the 4th largest gas producer in the world. I think that a more important reason than Gas would be for the USA to assert itself in Central Asia - particularly because Russia has tried to reassert its old control over the region.

The number one goal of US foreign policy is to deter any future competitor super-power. The US probably still fears Russia and so the Afghanistan occupation could assert US dominance in the region - as well as to attempt to wipe out the largest terrorist threat to the US.
    Thats another reason. America is trying to control central Asia to counter Russian influence. But gas is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    America is trying to control central Asia to counter Russian influence.
    WHEY WE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING WE AGREE ON!!

:dancing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ploder)
    Lance Corporal Joe Glenton is bravely refusing to return to Afghanistan because he has correctly identified this as an unjust war. He is also facing up to the consequences because he is being court martialed.

I'd put him up sraight up against a brick wall and machine gun him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'd put him up sraight up against a brick wall and machine gun him.
    Do you have any experience using firearms let alone a machine

gun,and please don't count play station,ok ?

What about a potato gun ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    And you're what, pray?
    Don't worry, the TA isn't what its chummed up to be is it.

In essence, I am no serving soldier, however, I have a first cousin, an uncle and had a dad fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places. This is what I hear from them, so don't shoot the messenger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Ourumov)

In essence, I am no serving soldier, however, I have a first cousin, an uncle and had a dad fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places. This is what I hear from them, so don't shoot the messenger
    What do your relatives say about the US army/marines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    What do your relatives say about the US army/marines?
    I hear the term "spams" alot. There's a lot of banter by the sounds of things but they're just like them really. Doing a tough job in tough circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    Do you have any experience using firearms let alone a machine

gun,and please don't count play station,ok ?

What about a potato gun ?
    Yes. I'm a gun-owning American with a conceiled weapons permit valid in about 36 states. In a previous life I also did a three years with the TA in the UK so I have quite a bit of experience with lots of different sorts of weapons.

How about yourself? Anything?

ReputationRep:

As I thought. Using second-hand opinions from better people than you doesn't lend itself to winning arguments. Better luck next time though, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'm a gun-owning American with a conceiled weapons permit valid in about 36 states. In a previous life I also did a three years with the TA in the UK so I have quite a bit of experience with lots of different sorts of weapons.

:rofl:

Can you say 'owned'? Well played, Howard :top:

ReputationRep:
    As I thought. Using second-hand opinions from better people than you doesn't lend itself to winning arguments. Better luck next time though, eh?
    Not at all. Yes your right they are better people than me. No denying that.

Also, if you can't stand a bit of ribbing, then god help us. It wasn't a jab, just a laugh.

If your still offended then i'll put it down to you being an A.R.A.B and me being a stupid civvie

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Yes your right they are better people than me. No denying that.

Also, if you can't stand a bit of ribbing, then god help us. It wasn't a jab, just a laugh.

If your still offended then i'll put it down to you being an A.R.A.B and me being a stupid civvie
    No offence dude, but Forces banter usually doesn't come across too well from non-Forces people, but if that's what you were trying to do, fair enough. I've withstood more than a few ribbings in my time, but I'm sorry, I'll go have a look for my sense of humour, I'm sure I left it lying around here somewhere... Oh, and I'm not an ARAB, either

ReputationRep:
    No offence dude, but Forces banter usually doesn't come across too well from non-Forces people, but if that's what you were trying to do, fair enough. I've withstood more than a few ribbings in my time, but I'm sorry, I'll go have a look for my sense of humour, I'm sure I left it lying around here somewhere... Oh, and I'm not an ARAB, either
    Ha, dam it, its downhill from here How much for effort then? So what are you TA? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me?

Just out of interest, and no offence is meant by this, but what are you doing scuba diving in Thailand?

ReputationRep:
    Ha, dam it, its downhill from here How much for effort then? So what are you TA? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me?

Just out of interest, and no offence is meant by this, but what are you doing scuba diving in Thailand?
    The only way is up down :p:

I'm TA Inf, but that's all the information I'm prepared to give out, for obvious reasons.

I'm not scuba diving in Thailand currently, however I have lived there in the past.

ReputationRep:
    The only way is up down :p:

I'm TA Inf, but that's all the information I'm prepared to give out, for obvious reasons.

I'm not scuba diving in Thailand currently, however I have lived there in the past.
    That could be the campest thing i've heard all day

Ye fair enough. Cool, did you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    That could be the campest thing i've heard all day

Ye fair enough. Cool, did you enjoy it?
    As a wise man once wrote, 'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times'. I had an amazing time, but was quite badly injured a few times, plus some heavy emotional crap, but it was one hell of an experience.

ReputationRep:

Hehe.Yeah.Does a water pistol count ?

On a more serious note.I served as a paramilitary officer for 4 years
    before deciding to call it quits and put down my G3A3 rifle.Spent most of my time in the arid plains enforcing the law while fighting the battle hardened and dreaded 'shifta'/cattle rustlers/cut throats on the somalian border.Played with AK-47 rifles,H&K MP5,patchett smg,m16 ,pistols and even hand grenades to mention just a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    I didn’t know Americans could join the TA, or were you a British citizen at the time or something?
    I was a Brit at the time. I'm now a dual citizen and hold both passports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    Hehe.Yeah.Does a water pistol count ?

On a more serious note.I served as a paramilitary officer for 4 years
    before deciding to call it quits and put down my G3A3 rifle.Spent most of my time in the arid plains enforcing the law while fighting the battle hardened and dreaded 'shifta'/cattle rustlers/cut throats on the somalian border.Played with AK-47 rifles,H&K MP5,patchett smg,m16 ,pistols and even hand grenades to mention just a few.
    When did you quit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Moron.

When you voluntarily join the army, you forfeit the right to ethical objections.
    I suppose that the issue is whether he wants to disobey orders and yet remain in the army, or whether he wants to disobey and leave.

Remember your Rothbard, my young Padawan!

(Original post by Murray N Rothbard)
    While conscription into the armed forces is a blatant and aggravated form of involuntary servitude, there is another, far more subtle and therefore less detectable form: the structure of the army itself. Consider this: in what other occupation in the country are there severe penalties, including prison and in some cases execution, for "desertion," i.e. for quitting the particular employment? If someone quits General Motors, is he shot at sunrise?

It might be objected that, in the case of enlistees, the soldier or officer has voluntarily agreed to serve for a certain term, and he is therefore obligated to continue in service for a certain term of years. But the whole concept of "term of service" is part of the problem. Suppose, for example, that an engineer signs a contract with ARAMCO to serve for three years in Saudi Arabia. After a few months he decides that the life is not for him and he quits. This may well be a moral default on his part - a breach of moral obligation. But is it a legally enforceable obligation? In short, can he or should he be forced by the monopoly of weaponry of government to keep working for the remainder of his term? If so, that would be forced labour and enslavement. For while it is true that he made a promise of future work, his body continues, in a free society, to be owned by himself alone. In practice and in libertarian theory as well, then, the engineer might be morally criticized for the breach, he may be blacklisted by other oil firms, he may be forced to return advanced pay tendered to him by the company, but he will not be enslaved to ARAMCO for the three-year period.

But if this is true of ARAMCO, or of any other occupation or job in private life, why should it be different in the army? If a man signs up for seven years and then quits, he should be allowed to leave. He will lose pension rights, he will be morally criticized, he may be blacklisted from similar occupations, but he cannot, as a self-owner, be enslaved against his will.
    - For a New Liberty

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.