Turn on thread page Beta

JESUS EFFIN CHRIST - student finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So my dad is self employed, earns a pittance as a mechanic and my mom is a teacher. When it comes to filling out the student finance form i need to provide proof of earnings so that i can get the loan and grant, otherwise there's no way i'll be able to go to uni, which happens to be in one of the most expensive places in london. My dad doesn't really have any paper trail to speak because, well that's just how he does business of so obviously no evidence for the student finance company - so i call them up to ask what i can do about that. After going through the most frustrating automated dialog menu and then holding for 20 minutes they pretty much tell me i'm **** out of luck and can't apply for means tested loans.

So what am i going to do now ? LIE and say he earns nothing. I see no other option. You only have to give evidence if you're earning so if i say he's not then all is well? Apart from the whole fraud thing, but i honestly see no other option. I didn't get all the way into ************ imperial only to be bent over and banged up the ass now. It's not as if i want to, but the guy on the phone told me there was literally nothing i could do (i didn't suggest my cunning scheme to him ofc) so, well here i am. :/

ReputationRep:
    You could but if they find out you've lied they may make you pay it back which could be a problem if you've already spent it.

Doesn't your dad have like tax info or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleeny)
    Doesn't your dad have like tax info or anything?
    Nope, he dropped the ball here, but personally the government should piss off rather than try and tax his already broke ass. Not that i condone this, but most people that do these kinds of jobs don't pay tax.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should say the lords name in vain. :naughty: It could offend people on here.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad would have still had to fill out self assessment tax forms even if he is self employed, there will be a paper trail he's probably just lost/misplaced it.

ReputationRep:
    What was the swear word you used?

And, go for it.
    [Of course you shouldnt go for it, its a bad path to go down.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    What was the swear word you used?

And, go for it.
    [Of course you shouldnt go for it, its a bad path to go down.]
    motherfu...

I know. One minute it's fiddling to get by, the next i'm doing 150 years in prison for embezzling $65illion from honest investors.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad doesn't deserve to pay tax but you want a taxpayer funded loan?

I feel for your problem but that's just wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Your dad doesn't deserve to pay tax but you want a taxpayer funded loan?

I feel for your problem but that's just wrong
    Eh?

Also, doesn't your Dad have an accountant? My Dad is self-employed too and we just got the accountant to fill out the form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Eh?

Also, doesn't your Dad have an accountant? My Dad is self-employed too and we just got the accountant to fill out the form.
    (Original post by spex)
    Nope, he dropped the ball here, but personally the government should piss off rather than try and tax his already broke ass. Not that i condone this, but most people that do these kinds of jobs don't pay tax.
    I get the impression his dad can't provide documents because he doesn't pay tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    Hmm theres probably not much you can do then. I don't know really but if you claim the grants and they investigate you and find out you're lying that'll probably get your dad in s*** too for like tax evasion or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I get the impression his dad can't provide documents because he doesn't pay tax.
    Oh. Now I see what you mean. OP how does your Dad pay his tax every year if he can't prove his income to the tax man? Having no proof of income is against the law, I believe.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spex)
    My dad doesn't really have any paper trail to speak because, well that's just how he does business
    So, your dad is committing fraud by not paying tax, and you want to turn this fraud into a family business by cashing in on this?

Your mother is a teacher, so is probably already earning over £30k. You wouldn't qualify for anything anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad should keep a paper trail, and do his self assessment etc. If he did you'd have proof and be able to get your means tested loan.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone's being a little naive here, there are a lot of people in this country paid cash in hand that don't self declare/ pay income tax. I think it's wrong but kind of ironic that OP is now stuck without the means tested grant (paid for by the taxpayer) because his dad doesn't pay taxes.

FWIW I'd have words with your dad about this, since its his illegal income (assuming we've not got the wrong end of the stick re: him not self assessing) thats holding you back.

ReputationRep:
    Light at the end of the tunnel - just spoke to my dad and he was on about he'll speak to his accountant, which means he has one, which is a start. I made some hasty assumptions about him not paying tax or having a paper trail because well he's terrible with money. I can tell i'm painting a lovely picture of my dad to some total strangers here Anywho i also juts realised i've missed the deadline by a country mile. Dear me.

ReputationRep:
    If you go ahead and submit a form saying he has no income at all, he'll be asked for some sort of evidence. As SFE do check this forum at times, it's easy to establish the fraud.

Caught earning money my deception and all support will be withdrawn, you'll end up locked up and that's your career gone.

ReputationRep:
    Ah good - don't worry too much about the deadline - people definitely apply afterwards and still get it - it's just if you want a guarantee that it'll be done!

ReputationRep:
    ... in time for the start of term. You'll get the money eventually (IIRC you can apply retrospectively up until about January) but it'll probably not be ready in time for the start of term.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since the deadline came up, anyone knows how long it might take to get the whole finance sorted out or loans to come through if I put in an application around mid August?

For certain reasons, I won't be able to do so before then, and that target date is if I'm lucky.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.