Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As a student, which supermarket do you use most? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering which supermarket everyone found to be the best on student stomachs, and wallets?

ReputationRep:
    Waitrose. :loony:

ReputationRep:
    tesco...dont like it though

ReputationRep:
    Asdas

(Original post by .x.Steff.x.)
    tesco...dont like it though
    don't blame ya, Tesco food aint too nice.

ReputationRep:
    asda ... they are so cheap

ReputationRep:
    Depends on which one has Stella on special offer.

ReputationRep:
    The only supermarkets within walking distance (as in, walking distance with arms full of food shopping) are Co-Ops which are quite pricey, but when my guy visits at the weekend and brings his car, we go to Asda

ReputationRep:
    Used to use Tesco but I work for Sainsburys now so use them as it's closer and I get 10% discount. Don't buy their basics bread though, it goes mouldy in a day.

If you've got the choice Asda is the best - by far the cheapest.

ReputationRep:
    when living on campus last year it was either the tesco metro in town for small shops, or get my housemate to drive to a bigger one....there are also 2 uni run shops on campus, co-op under a different name...so expensive! But sometimes had no choice but to use them..

Now I'm going into 2nd year and living off campus, it will either be big tesco or big asda, but you have to drive to them.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have their shopping delivered?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sainsbury's was nearest in my first year.

Then I moved in with someone who had a car, and Tesco is out main shop (meat, cereals, treats, drinks, etc. etc.). However, we get bread/milk/etc. from Lidl (down the road), and veggies from the grocer.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco and M&S.

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's - it's the ONLY supermarket in town really (M&S is hardly student friendly).
    But it's not bad at all. The basics range is actually pretty good in many respects

Asda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    I did my last 2 shops of the term online, as I was too busy with exams and revision to go...worked out well, got some good deals and could get heavy things [such as big bottles of diet coke etc] much easier...so I'll probably do it more often this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    Yep, I did.

£4 delivery as opposed to a £2 bus ticket and a lot of carrying and time wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Co-op is closest - used in emergencies
    Aldi is second closest - but is very unreliable, I go when someone is driving me
    Sainsbury's is joint second closest - but is out of my way and is an express, also unreliable
    Tesco is the fourth closest - is the one I use most often
    Asda is fifth closest - is the one I would use the most if it was closer, go when someone is driving

Tesco. It's just the easiest to shop to.

ReputationRep:
    Waitrose, Sainsburys, and Marks and Spencer

ReputationRep:
    when I lived in Sheffield I went to Heron frozen foods, Jack Fulton and Sainsburys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.