Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As a student, which supermarket do you use most? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mainly use Tesco metro, it's the one that's a reasonable walking distance when carrying a lot of shopping back home. If I have a car I go to a big Sainsburys as there's more deals and I much prefer it to Tesco. There's a co-op round the corner that I use in emergensies, and I sometimes go in to check if they've got any good deals on. I also use a veggie shop round the corner as they've always got good deals on fruit and vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be using tesco (online though, not going to bother walking 20/25 mins, get there, realise I bought too much, call a taxi, wait half an hour, pay upt a tenner for the taxi), I usually shop for our home online - delivery is usually between £3.50-£5.50, they deliver next day (or same day if you wake up early enough!), you can often get money off vouchers that only work online, I get staff discount anyway, I can spend half an hour doing the shopping rather than 2/3 hours. Someone else goes around the store buying stuff for no extra cost. Usually though, I'd bulk buy with heavy stuff (pasta, rice, juice, cans, etc) and just keep buying milk/bread/fruit, etc until food stores start to go down, then just order more.

Got to note that this would be more effective for families/student houses where you share the shopping; a lot of the stuff would be expired by the end of the week!

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys as it's just round the corner. When reeeally skint though, I'd go to Aldi in the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    Does anyone have their shopping delivered?
    Yep I do from Tesco... for £3 delivery.

It's far easier than having to find time to do it yourself and as other people have noted it would cost me more on bus fare/car running costs if I had to do it myself. Online shopping also allows you to stick to a budget far easier as you can see how much you're spending as you go along rather than it coming as a shock when you get to the till in a shop!

I've used Tesco for quite a while now, I always buy Tesco value or tesco own branded stuff unless it's stuff that I know I don't like cheap versions of.

ReputationRep:
    I use Asda, since it's just down the road from me. But, if I had a choice (ie if I had a car), I'd shop at Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's as I like their food, can't stand Tesco so I avoid it like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    I think it may be delivered Tesco for me at uni then
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Asda.

Although there is a Co-op at the end of my road so I buy quite a bit from there as well.

ReputationRep:
    Asda - short drive away and i refuse to carry all my shopping from the tescos in town

ReputationRep:
    Morrisons and Tesco

ReputationRep:
    Not at uni yet, but I can say it'll be Waitrose as I work there and will hopefully get a transfer so I can still have my discount

ReputationRep:
    I use a combination of Asda, Tesco and Morrisons, because I have a car and I can, bizzatch.

ReputationRep:
    Lidl for basics (bread, milk, eggs, juice, soft drinks, frozen meals, pasta), and Tesco Express/Sainsbury's Central/Tesco Extra (depending on how far I can be arsed to walk) for decent stuff like meat, cheese, veg and alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco down the street however I'm living in a house next year, which is bit of a distance away from it, so I doubt I'll be going to it as often.

ReputationRep:
    best for: -wallet: tesco
    -stomach: cora

ReputationRep:
    Mostly ASDA but occasionaly Tesco, just for variety

ReputationRep:
    asda is the best, but there's not one near my uni, so I have to settle for tesco.

ReputationRep:
    I shop at Sainsburys because it's the biggest one within walking distance. There is a tesco express which is tiny and a smallish sainsburys which i have to go to, and also a massive sainsburys but you can't really walk there easily

ReputationRep:
    My friend lived in ALDI, and moaned constantly about the toilet paper from their being as stiff as tree bark :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    the off licence brothel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.