Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Applications for Summer 2010 open in August -- only 2 days away.

Is anyone thinking of applying?

I'm thinking of applying, but I don't know if I could do it. I have done my 2yrs at College, and am going back for a 3rd to do Further Maths, then I should start Uni in Sept 2010. Will I be able to participate in Camp America, as I will most likely miss exam results day therefore clearing -- which do I need to be there for?

Do you think I will be able to apply? Or do I need to be at home to sort out Uni stuff like accommodation, student loans etc..

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying So excited. But I'm thinking about waiting until 2011 because I don't know how my first year at uni is going to pan out, don't want to get ahead of myself, so to speak.

RE: exams/accommodation: you could do it. You could always get your parents or somebody you trust to collect your results for you and depending on where you've applied, you might have already sorted your room out (for example, Notts opens their accommodation portal from January).

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to apply, depending on how my current plans for volunteering work out and if I manage to get a full time job which pays enough to do both. Do you have experience working with children or in the activities, or are you just planning on applying and hoping for the best?

Also, I may be wrong but I think the applications for UK applicants open in September - it's only Australian applicants who can apply in August.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am thinking about applying through CCUSA to work on a Canadian camp. I keep changing my mind though, due to finances mainly, so I might wait until 2011.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definately applying. Thanks for creating this thread!!

The applications are open for Australia and New Zealand now but not for the UK. So frustrating!

I ordered the brochure but they havn't sent it to me yet which is quite annoying. May have to try downloading it again!

If you think you are going to need to be in the UK for clearing though, that could be a problem as could some of the paperwork. But if you start your 9 weeks in June then you might be able to return to the UK by results day.

ReputationRep:
    Im definitely taking part in this next year.

Tried to sign up yesterday, but it wasn't open to the UK

ReputationRep:
    Definately apply you will have the best summer ever!

Useful Links:

Summer Camp Information
    Summer camp jobs USA
    Camp America
    BUNAC jobs
    CCUSA jobs
    Camp leaders

Hope the applications go well everyone!

ReputationRep:
    what are the chances that you'll actually be accepted?? does any one have a clue??

ReputationRep:
    Right well I applied last year but didn't get accepted, I applied too late =[ Am definately applying again this year! OP, its easier to get accepted 19+ because its mostly 18 y/o girls that apply, its weird that one year helps you stick out just that bit more.

(Original post by mollymustard)
    I'm definately applying. Thanks for creating this thread!!

The applications are open for Australia and New Zealand now but not for the UK. So frustrating!

I ordered the brochure but they havn't sent it to me yet which is quite annoying. May have to try downloading it again!

If you think you are going to need to be in the UK for clearing though, that could be a problem as could some of the paperwork. But if you start your 9 weeks in June then you might be able to return to the UK by results day.
    I ordered the brosure and it took weeks to arrive so I'd just download it for now to get all the info!!

&& tbh OP if you're worried about going through clearing then maybe wait a year? Because most camps start date is around the 17th June so you would get back just in time with 9 weeks or just over, and if you are literally only available for 9 weeks and not flexible your chances do lessen a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    Right well I applied last year but didn't get accepted, I applied too late =[ Am definitely applying again this year! OP, its easier to get accepted 19+ because its mostly 18 y/o girls that apply, its weird that one year helps you stick out just that bit more.

I ordered the brosure and it took weeks to arrive so I'd just download it for now to get all the info!!

&& tbh OP if you're worried about going through clearing then maybe wait a year? Because most camps start date is around the 17th June so you would get back just in time with 9 weeks or just over, and if you are literally only available for 9 weeks and not flexible your chances do lessen a bit
    Okay thanks! What did they say when they didn't let you in to the next stage?
    I'm hoping I'll get a place, as I worked on Kids Camps in the UK for three years. Would be gutted if I couldn't go - I'll be 20.

Does anyone know when the UK applications officially open?

ReputationRep:
    Camp America applications are open today, think the other companies open soon.

With three years experience working at kids camps in the UK you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marknorthlondon)
    Camp America applications are open today, think the other companies open soon.

With three years experience working at kids camps in the UK you will be fine

you have to pay the deposit (£60) when you send the application off right??

do you get your money back if you don't get in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Okay thanks! What did they say when they didn't let you in to the next stage?
    I'm hoping I'll get a place, as I worked on Kids Camps in the UK for three years. Would be gutted if I couldn't go - I'll be 20.

Does anyone know when the UK applications officially open?

I got through every stage and was just waiting for a placement but because I applied too late there wasn't enough places for a general councillor. With your experience you'll definately be placed if you apply early enough =D

ReputationRep:
    when's the application deadline for uk applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Is that camp America thing the thing you don't get paid for? If it is that's mental. Why not just work of PGL or someone?

ReputationRep:
    im definitely going to apply, i wanted to go last year but i had exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Is that camp America thing the thing you don't get paid for? If it is that's mental. Why not just work of PGL or someone?
    Nah, you get paid for it - between $800 and $1500 if I remember correctly (can't be bothered checking.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forgottenpanda)
    Nah, you get paid for it - between $800 and $1500 if I remember correctly (can't be bothered checking.)
    Per month or for the whole 6 months? Cause if its the latter that's very poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Per month or for the whole 6 months? Cause if its the latter that's very poor.
    Camp America doesn't last six months, I think it's 9 weeks? Plus you get your food and accommodation paid for, and possibly your flight (can't really remember.) I don't think you'd do it for the money; it's more about the experience.

ReputationRep:
    You get your flight, medical insurance (possibly), accomodation, food and flights paid for and 10% trek america adventure things! You go for a minimum of 9 weeks.

I'm not going for the money, I'm goin because its gonna be an awesome summer!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.