Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    aaaah my application has been sent to camp america offices woooohoo! man i hope i get placed!!
    Have you had your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penkwolf)
    hmmm no world cup :/

After really wanting to go,i think thats me out now, have to cancel interview i cant imagine england winning the world up and me see-ing none of it! that chance is always there

seriously?
    your missing out just because of football and tv! You could watch clips online when you get back or when your over there if you get the time!

really think about it before you cancel your interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph222)
    Holamigo....can i chuck some questions your way ?

which company did you go with? what were the good/bad points about camp?
    and how many days off did you have?

thanks! xx
    Thought i'd answer too - everyone has different experiences in different camps! I went with CampAmerica.From 24th May - 2nd August. We got at least 24hours off every week. (Because it was a special needs camp I think you get more time off because its more demanding)
    There were different camps every week..There would be a camp checking out on a saturday morning say.. we would then have to clean the whole camp in the morning until lunchtime. Then we would get the afternoon & night off untill lunchtime the next day. Then the NExt camp came! So it never really felt like a WHOLE day off.
    We did get a whole weekend off once for 4th July - that was really cool - I left on the friday to go to chicago then camp back to camp on the monday.
    We also got a whole week off - halfway through the camp - this is when I went travelling to grand canyon.

Good points:

- Getting to really know the Campers - and all about their lives&stories
    - Working with kids with Autism & Cancer was just amazing!
    - Working with adults with traumatic brain injuries!really loved it-the stories they told!(one man was in a wheelchair blind in one eye - he told me about how he used to be a pimp & drug dealer and had lots of money,his best friend was jealous and shot him straight through the eye -there were lots of amazing stories like that- you just realised how lucky they are to be alive in front of you!)
    - Jumping in the lake at night! or after a camp had gone! Amazing.
    - The weather of course!
    - Going on road trips with the friends you have made
    - The camp songs and all the cheesy camp funn
    - I got to do so many things through camp that I wouldn't normally do such as canoeing, fishing, horse riding, also jumped of the high jumps which was REALLY high up!
    - Different camps every week!
    - Going to the American counsellors house parties! was really fun.
    - getting the chance to travel!!

Worst Points:

- Camp food!!!
    - BUG BITES - ahh seriously got me down towards the end - everyday for 10 weeks I got bitten(HUGE ones aswel) Actually had to go to the hospital on a few occasions -I got a bug bite the size of my thigh and had to take steroids for it! so watch out for those bugs! lol
    - How unorganised the camp was (the head of it had a mental breakdown at the start of the summer so it was all down to the assistant director who actually had a stroke towards the end of summer! ha so it was very unorganised and sometimes we didn't know what we were doing until the actual day)
    - Moving cabins everyweek! - and having to wheel my heavy suitcase for a 10 min walk through a forest and mud! from one cabin to the next!
    - definitely no privacy AT ALL!
    - sometimes felt very isolated and trapped at camp
    - being with the same group of people all the time and living in the same room was hard at times.
    - the feeling that you were in a bubble from the outside world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Thought i'd answer too - everyone has different experiences in different camps! I went with CampAmerica.From 24th May - 2nd August. We got at least 24hours off every week. (Because it was a special needs camp I think you get more time off because its more demanding)
    There were different camps every week..There would be a camp checking out on a saturday morning say.. we would then have to clean the whole camp in the morning until lunchtime. Then we would get the afternoon & night off untill lunchtime the next day. Then the NExt camp came! So it never really felt like a WHOLE day off.
    We did get a whole weekend off once for 4th July - that was really cool - I left on the friday to go to chicago then camp back to camp on the monday.
    We also got a whole week off - halfway through the camp - this is when I went travelling to grand canyon.

Good points:

- Getting to really know the Campers - and all about their lives&stories
    - Working with kids with Autism & Cancer was just amazing!
    - Working with adults with traumatic brain injuries!really loved it-the stories they told!(one man was in a wheelchair blind in one eye - he told me about how he used to be a pimp & drug dealer and had lots of money,his best friend was jealous and shot him straight through the eye -there were lots of amazing stories like that- you just realised how lucky they are to be alive in front of you!)
    - Jumping in the lake at night! or after a camp had gone! Amazing.
    - The weather of course!
    - Going on road trips with the friends you have made
    - The camp songs and all the cheesy camp funn
    - I got to do so many things through camp that I wouldn't normally do such as canoeing, fishing, horse riding, also jumped of the high jumps which was REALLY high up!
    - Different camps every week!
    - Going to the American counsellors house parties! was really fun.
    - getting the chance to travel!!

Worst Points:

- Camp food!!!
    - BUG BITES - ahh seriously got me down towards the end - everyday for 10 weeks I got bitten(HUGE ones aswel) Actually had to go to the hospital on a few occasions -I got a bug bite the size of my thigh and had to take steroids for it! so watch out for those bugs! lol
    - How unorganised the camp was (the head of it had a mental breakdown at the start of the summer so it was all down to the assistant director who actually had a stroke towards the end of summer! ha so it was very unorganised and sometimes we didn't know what we were doing until the actual day)
    - Moving cabins everyweek! - and having to wheel my heavy suitcase for a 10 min walk through a forest and mud! from one cabin to the next!
    - definitely no privacy AT ALL!
    - sometimes felt very isolated and trapped at camp
    - being with the same group of people all the time and living in the same room was hard at times.
    - the feeling that you were in a bubble from the outside world!
    thank you soooo much!! sorry to ask lots of things it's just a pretty daunting experience before you've done it!!

were you a general councillor or did you teach anything specific ? also, i know this is different for every person but did you meet any people at heathrow who were CA too or were you on your own for the flight? xx

ReputationRep:
    thank you soooo much!! sorry to ask lots of things it's just a pretty daunting experience before you've done it!!

were you a general councillor or did you teach anything specific ? also, i know this is different for every person but did you meet any people at heathrow who were CA too or were you on your own for the flight? xx
    nah I really don't mind answering any of your questions! I was the same as you a few months ago! So i'm happy to help!
    I was a general counsellor ! what are you thinking of doing?

I met up with a group of 7 at Heathrow - all going to the same camp as me. We met another girl who joined our group at the airport who was off to another camp though. I arranged for everyone to wear there red CA t-shirts as I was really worried about flying on my own! We all didn't sit together on the plane though - i sat next to a lovely american woman who was flying home! =)
    On the way home I flew all by myself and it was finnnee ! if you listen to music/read time goes really fast!

ReputationRep:
    I've got an interview booked.

Can anyone shed any light on the process, types of questions e.t.c?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    I've got an interview booked.

Can anyone shed any light on the process, types of questions e.t.c?
    woohoo!:woo: when is it?

ermm.. can't remember that much - my interview was very informal! We met at starbucks and had a coffee! was the nicest interview i've ever had!

She just asked stuff like:

Why do you want to do it?
    What skills have you got to offer?
    What experience with children have you got?

The rest of the time we just chatted - she was going back for her 4th year at camp and I just asked her lots of questions about it! so I think I seemed really keen.
    She got me to fill in a CRB form and asked a bit about my application & what camp I would really love to do. Your interviewer is there so help you with your application really.

ReputationRep:

You didn't ask me, but I'm bored

I was a horse riding instructor in 2008.

I went with BUNAC. On the flight there the plane was practically empty! I don't know what CA do, but with BUNAC you have to meet a representative at the airport, and they introduced me to two other people who were going to be on the plane. I was quite lucky though, the plane was so empty I literally had an entire row to myself! On the flight back there was a big group of us that was all BUNACers, it was quite funny because we didn't realise it at first, we just thought it was a massive co-incidence that everyone had either just finished camp or work USA.

I wish I could go back! Unfortunatley leaving the country for so long means there are a few jobs I can't apply for as a result, so I am sticking in England for now!

ReputationRep:
    Have you had your interview?
    yeeeh i have couple of weeks back!
    i saw your other post, basically its just an informal chat

i got asked
    if you have $500 to create a day out for the kids, what would you do?
    if you had a ball, a rubber chicken and a ring what would you do?
    and if you had no equipment at all, but 12 kids what would you do?

easy as pie
    its just a informal chat, i think just to make sure you aren't a complete weirdo!
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I am a camp america rep and 3rd year returner if anyone would like any questions answered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    yeeeh i have couple of weeks back!
    i saw your other post, basically its just an informal chat

i got asked
    if you have $500 to create a day out for the kids, what would you do?
    if you had a ball, a rubber chicken and a ring what would you do?
    and if you had no equipment at all, but 12 kids what would you do?

easy as pie
    its just a informal chat, i think just to make sure you aren't a complete weirdo!
    good luck!
    Ahh... thanks.
    Sounds good... i'm excited!

What did you wear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    woohoo!:woo: when is it?

ermm.. can't remember that much - my interview was very informal! We met at starbucks and had a coffee! was the nicest interview i've ever had!

She just asked stuff like:

Why do you want to do it?
    What skills have you got to offer?
    What experience with children have you got?

The rest of the time we just chatted - she was going back for her 4th year at camp and I just asked her lots of questions about it! so I think I seemed really keen.
    She got me to fill in a CRB form and asked a bit about my application & what camp I would really love to do. Your interviewer is there so help you with your application really.
    It's in like two weeks *goes to check date* lol.
    Sounds good and straight forward!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh... thanks.
    Sounds good... i'm excited!

What did you wear?
    errrm i wore converse, jeans, some random top and a cardy
    just casual whens your interview booked for?

ReputationRep:
    What's with the Camp America questions about whether you have ever been sexually abused or self harmed?!

ReputationRep:
    Self harming quite obviously brings your ability to cope with stressful situations and your mind in general into question. You need to be extremely responsible working at a camp and a history of self harm could be dangerous in any situation.

In regards to the other question, I have no definite answer, but from what I have read in newspapers, they are assuming that being abused in the past may give you a greater tendancy to do so yourself. Whether that is true or not I do not know, but Camp America have a huge responsibility to ensure people they place are safe in all situations to work with children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Self harming quite obviously brings your ability to cope with stressful situations and your mind in general into question. You need to be extremely responsible working at a camp and a history of self harm could be dangerous in any situation.

In regards to the other question, I have no definite answer, but from what I have read in newspapers, they are assuming that being abused in the past may give you a greater tendancy to do so yourself. Whether that is true or not I do not know, but Camp America have a huge responsibility to ensure people they place are safe in all situations to work with children.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    2 other people at my camp had self harmed in the past... they must of lied on their application..well I know one of them did..
    The other girl had scars all down her arm from her wrist to her elbow and had it all over her thighs too..
    It shouldn't stop them from being a counsellor - those 2 people were GREAT counsellors!

ReputationRep:
    It won't always stop you working at camp. It simply prompts more detailed information from your doctor on whether you are suitable to work at camp. Please bear in mind that a Doctor must fill in a medical form and that nothing that the Doctor knows about gets missed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tipareth)
    What's with the Camp America questions about whether you have ever been sexually abused or self harmed?!
    I know I think thats really a bit dodgy. I can understand they need to know our medical history but I really think this is going a bit too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    It won't always stop you working at camp. It simply prompts more detailed information from your doctor on whether you are suitable to work at camp. Please bear in mind that a Doctor must fill in a medical form and that nothing that the Doctor knows about gets missed!
    Yeah It doesn't always stop you. They just want to know what state you are in - mentally & physically and whether this will affect how you work. A lot of people self harm and don't always go to the doctor about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.