Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor012)
    i take it there's no point applying to camp america if i'll only be going into my first year at uni in 2010 and therefore not available all of May, am I right? lol
    Well you can leave in early June too!

ReputationRep:
    i take it there's no point applying to camp america if i'll only be going into my first year at uni in 2010 and therefore not available all of May, am I right? lol
    I applying and need a june departure. Departures usually span from may to june depending on which camp you go to.

ReputationRep:

My camp started at the end of May but I'd say most camp's normally start in June.
    So you can apply!!.. Also you get to put the date when you're avaliable, so you could put from June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I was planning to apply for camp power but am having a change of heart and thinking I might go for a special needs camp. How much experience do you need? I have done a week residential at a special needs camp in the UK, taught swimming for a year to people with special needs, and done some other voluntary hospital/caring stuff. I'm a med student so I think it might be a good experience for me. Has anyone here been to a special needs camp? How much do you have to be involved in the personal care type stuff? I would be OK doing that but wanna be prepared.
    Most of our med students do an internship/volunteer with Pro World Health. The Belize placement is particularly popular. More medically related as well.
    http://www.myproworld.org/media_cent.../ana_paula.htm

ReputationRep:
    ahhh i'm stressing about who to use as references...

don't know nay of my uni tutors well enough for them to write things about my character so really wanted to used my old school teachers as especially my old drama teachers know me ridiculously well....but then they havent taught me for 12 months so might not be eligible as refrees? ahhh! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph222)

don't know nay of my uni tutors well enough for them to write things about my character so really wanted to used my old school teachers as especially my old drama teachers know me ridiculously well....but then they havent taught me for 12 months so might not be eligible as refrees? ahhh! x
    i was in the same situation lovely! my course is 3 hours a week at uni...never gona get a good reference that way! ive used mu ucas statement thingy written by my sixth form head, and the assistant head of the school did mine cos shes known me 5 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph222)

Hi I've applied for camp america for 2010 too...Got my interview a week on Monday - actually quite nervous now!

Don't worry about the references...do you have a part-time job? You can get your references from them surely?

I got mine from tutors at university, but I understand what you're saying - that you feel they don't know you that well. Do you not have a "guidance tutor" or someone who you are to go to if you have any 'problems'? That's what they're there for too, for references etc.

ReputationRep:
    OH, forgot to ask - anyone on here that's going from Glasgow?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    i was in the same situation lovely! my course is 3 hours a week at uni...never gona get a good reference that way! ive used mu ucas statement thingy written by my sixth form head, and the assistant head of the school did mine cos shes known me 5 years
    thats quite a good idea about ucas reference!

triplehelix, i have a personal advisor but i've met her once lol, havent really needed to use her yet! might give bunac an email and see what they think is best !! yeah i do have a job so can use my manager as one yay, good idea! thanks guys!!

good luck with your interview you'll blitz it im sure!! once that bit is out the way all the exciting stuff will begin..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arod)
    Most of our med students do an internship/volunteer with Pro World Health. The Belize placement is particularly popular. More medically related as well.
    http://www.myproworld.org/media_cent.../ana_paula.htm
    Thanks for the link, but that is a bit out of my price range!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Btw, what's the honest difference between camp america and ccusa?
    ^^ I was wondering this too!

I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been answered but here goes!

When are the deadlines for applications for Camp American and CCUSA? I can't find either!

Also, I understand you pay deposits prior the interview/being placed in a camp; what if your interview is unsuccessful or you don't get placed in a camp, is your money lost?

ReputationRep:
    If you are not successful, you will be refunded.

There is no real difference, despite rumours, after taking pay and costs into account, they work out almost identical. Personally I prefer Camp America and their ongoing support.

You also do not have to be certified to do most activities. Your experience however, will suit the role of a general counselor well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    If you are not successful, you will be refunded.

There is no real difference, despite rumours, after taking pay and costs into account, they work out almost identical. Personally I prefer Camp America and their ongoing support.

You also do not have to be certified to do most activities. Your experience however, will suit the role of a general counselor well!
    They do not work out even near identical. If you search CA's costs with that of Bunacs/Ccusa on previous threads... there is a lot of difference... CA will take more off your pay check as well.

ReputationRep:
    Really? In my second year I paid over £100 less than my CCUSA friend and got paid over $300 more, all at the same camp! CA do not take more off your pay check unless you are 18, in which case they do take a little bit more your first year. Please note that CCUSA do not advertise the 3rd party costs very well.

ReputationRep:
    i think with all the different companies etc just do a bit of research and see which one seems best to you...i've decided to go with BUNAC as i've heard they're very supportive and the costs seem ok!

sooo, anyone had their interview yet?

ReputationRep:
    Interviews are fun, don't be too worried

Summer 2010 will be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just finished my CCUSA application for summer 2010 and have two questions;

1) Is the £299 refunded if you don't get accepted?
    2) Under supporting items it says 'Program Fees (see invoice)', now do I have to find and supply the invoice or do they have it at their end?

ReputationRep:
    Went for my interview today! Exciting times...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.