Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Went for my interview today! Exciting times...
    How did your interview go?
    What kind of things did they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campbell87)
    Hey all, just finished my CCUSA application for summer 2010 and have two questions;

1) Is the £299 refunded if you don't get accepted?
    2) Under supporting items it says 'Program Fees (see invoice)', now do I have to find and supply the invoice or do they have it at their end?

Hey,
    when i called to check they said if we dont get accepted then, yes we get all our program fee's back.
    I think that They have the invoice at their end.. i hope they have anyway because i didnt send any invoice when i sent my complete and return document in to them.

ReputationRep:
    You will not receive back any fees for CRB checks, Medical Forms or Visa Fees.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaah I have just done my application with CCUSA and paid. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faye_b)
    How did your interview go?
    What kind of things did they ask you?
    She asked me about what sort of activities I'd do with the kids, the different ages, what sessions I'd be happy running but mainly she asked about my experience with children!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    She asked me about what sort of activities I'd do with the kids, the different ages, what sessions I'd be happy running but mainly she asked about my experience with children!
    I got mine next week... i'm excited lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    I got mine next week... i'm excited lol
    Good Luck!! you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    ive uploaded everything on my page, had my interview AND sent my references to my interview.
    how long do i have to wait til my application circulates? and how do i pay for my CRB check?

ReputationRep:
    hey hey
    i paid my deposit and just gotta wait to arrange my interview. How exciting! this was the only place online i could find to discuss it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charisma_1630)
    hey hey
    i paid my deposit and just gotta wait to arrange my interview. How exciting! this was the only place online i could find to discuss it

Hey, What comapny have you applied with??

ReputationRep:
    Ive gone with camp america cause i hear its the best one for first timers to go with. what about you?? Ive never been away from home for longer than a week, and never on my own so terrified when i think about it, but in a good way :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview today.

It really was nothing to worry about. Wasn't asked anything out the blue, just about my skills and experience with children!

She said she would like me to make a video. I think i may just do it out of boredom lol and because i really want to go to camp

Just trying to fill in the rest of the application now. I'm undecided if i should tick the box if i could cope with living in a rustic environment lol. I'm not a fan of tents, hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    You don't have to be a student? Oooh this sounds good!

I'm the same as you, taking a break and only a student Jan-May and only in like 4 hours a week. Would have prefered America, stupid visa requirements! Canada sounds good though, need to do more research!

Also, does anyone know when the applications open for this?
    Hey, did you find out when the applications are opening? Are you still applying for the Canada programme- I can't find much info :/

ReputationRep:
    hey, several questions which may have been already answered! if so , sorry!!

for my reference what sort of things should i ask them to write about as the people ive asked have never done an CA reference before!

also, when do you find out if you definitely have a place at a camp, are there high numbers of people that dont get placed??
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    CA will give you reference forms which are filled out.

You will find out by around April or May (although it was June this year) if you have a place at camp. I don't know how many people do not get placed but there are some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginger-simon)
    hey, several questions which may have been already answered! if so , sorry!!

for my reference what sort of things should i ask them to write about as the people ive asked have never done an CA reference before!

also, when do you find out if you definitely have a place at a camp, are there high numbers of people that dont get placed??
    thanks!!
    Just ask your reference to write about you - what your best skills are, why you would be good for camp america etc..

There are some that don't get placed but most people do especially if you are applying this times of year! - quite early.

You can get placed as late as June... I applied in January, got placed in May and then flew over in May too! So the later it is the less notcied you get!
    Just try not to be too picky with camps and you will definitely get placed!

Good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Thought i'd answer too - everyone has different experiences in different camps! I went with CampAmerica.From 24th May - 2nd August. We got at least 24hours off every week. (Because it was a special needs camp I think you get more time off because its more demanding)
    There were different camps every week..There would be a camp checking out on a saturday morning say.. we would then have to clean the whole camp in the morning until lunchtime. Then we would get the afternoon & night off untill lunchtime the next day. Then the NExt camp came! So it never really felt like a WHOLE day off.
    We did get a whole weekend off once for 4th July - that was really cool - I left on the friday to go to chicago then camp back to camp on the monday.
    We also got a whole week off - halfway through the camp - this is when I went travelling to grand canyon.

Good points:

- Getting to really know the Campers - and all about their lives&stories
    - Working with kids with Autism & Cancer was just amazing!
    - Working with adults with traumatic brain injuries!really loved it-the stories they told!(one man was in a wheelchair blind in one eye - he told me about how he used to be a pimp & drug dealer and had lots of money,his best friend was jealous and shot him straight through the eye -there were lots of amazing stories like that- you just realised how lucky they are to be alive in front of you!)
    - Jumping in the lake at night! or after a camp had gone! Amazing.
    - The weather of course!
    - Going on road trips with the friends you have made
    - The camp songs and all the cheesy camp funn
    - I got to do so many things through camp that I wouldn't normally do such as canoeing, fishing, horse riding, also jumped of the high jumps which was REALLY high up!
    - Different camps every week!
    - Going to the American counsellors house parties! was really fun.
    - getting the chance to travel!!

Worst Points:

- Camp food!!!
    - BUG BITES - ahh seriously got me down towards the end - everyday for 10 weeks I got bitten(HUGE ones aswel) Actually had to go to the hospital on a few occasions -I got a bug bite the size of my thigh and had to take steroids for it! so watch out for those bugs! lol
    - How unorganised the camp was (the head of it had a mental breakdown at the start of the summer so it was all down to the assistant director who actually had a stroke towards the end of summer! ha so it was very unorganised and sometimes we didn't know what we were doing until the actual day)
    - Moving cabins everyweek! - and having to wheel my heavy suitcase for a 10 min walk through a forest and mud! from one cabin to the next!
    - definitely no privacy AT ALL!
    - sometimes felt very isolated and trapped at camp
    - being with the same group of people all the time and living in the same room was hard at times.
    - the feeling that you were in a bubble from the outside world!

Your experience sounds so great, I'd love to do something like this as I am going to be a support worker with adults with learning disabilities. On the application forms it does state you have to be able to teach a skill? And include photographs? What type of activities did you have to do with them? Because I'm tempted to apply for support staff instead due to the lack of skills I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    Your experience sounds so great, I'd love to do something like this as I am going to be a support worker with adults with learning disabilities. On the application forms it does state you have to be able to teach a skill? And include photographs? What type of activities did you have to do with them? Because I'm tempted to apply for support staff instead due to the lack of skills I have.
    Oo definitely go for it ! it will be a great experience if you want to work with adults with learning disabilities.

Are you going with CA? Because you don't have to be able to teach a skill - you can just be a general counsellor! It may say state what skills you have - I just put anything like; swimming, photography, art etc.. even though i'm not particularly good at taking photo's or art! lol
    With the photographs I put really rubbish ones - one was a picture from when I was about 7 joining brownies! and the other was just a picture of a mountain and I just wrote by it 'I often go hiking' or something like that.

Activities included - swimming, you had to help them get from their wheelchair into the pool etc.. , Horse riding, archery, paintballing, arts and crafts, nature activities, outdoor sports.

All the activities had a programme staff incharge and they would teach. All you have to do is assist them with those activities.. e.g horse riding you would have to lead the horse or help hold onto your camper while they ride.

ReputationRep:
    sounds very stuipid I know, but what exactly do you get to do?

and who is it open for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Oo definitely go for it ! it will be a great experience if you want to work with adults with learning disabilities.

Are you going with CA? Because you don't have to be able to teach a skill - you can just be a general counsellor! It may say state what skills you have - I just put anything like; swimming, photography, art etc.. even though i'm not particularly good at taking photo's or art! lol
    With the photographs I put really rubbish ones - one was a picture from when I was about 7 joining brownies! and the other was just a picture of a mountain and I just wrote by it 'I often go hiking' or something like that.

Activities included - swimming, you had to help them get from their wheelchair into the pool etc.. , Horse riding, archery, paintballing, arts and crafts, nature activities, outdoor sports.

All the activities had a programme staff incharge and they would teach. All you have to do is assist them with those activities.. e.g horse riding you would have to lead the horse or help hold onto your camper while they ride.
    Oh okay , thanks the information v.helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.