Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Expression, really good to see a post from someone who worked as a member of the support staff! Ideally i'd like to be in the office too, as i have office and reception-based experience. Did you really enjoy it, a few people have mentioned that you are not quite as involved being a member of the support staff, as opposed to a counsellor. But it sounds like you had a great time?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikrum)
    Hey Expression, really good to see a post from someone who worked as a member of the support staff! Ideally i'd like to be in the office too, as i have office and reception-based experience. Did you really enjoy it, a few people have mentioned that you are not quite as involved being a member of the support staff, as opposed to a counsellor. But it sounds like you had a great time?
    Thanks!
    I did thoroughly enjoy myself. For half the day each day I was in my own Air-Conned office next to the Camp Director working on the Accounts, the other half of the working day on Phone Calls and Admin.

The camp office is a bustling environment, always busy and you'll see just about everyone, hear from the parents, and be part of creating the first impression for new parents who come on site tours or who phone up wanting more info.

But every member of staff passes through the office many times during the summer, either for pay advances or for a phone call or to take a message.

Are you detached from 'the camp experience'? I think you get a different 'camp experience', but if you immerse yourself in the fun that the kids and the counsellors are having then you can get very much involved.

Remember, the camp office is where all the post from home comes. So the campers (and staff!) love the office and the mail room. There will be a collection of post every single day!

For instance, I only went as the accounts and admin person, but because I put in the effort at Induction Week (which many of the Support Staff didn't bother to do other than the 'theory' stuff) the Camp Director asked me if I wanted to work with a group of basketball loving upper teens (they were only going to be on camp for 4 of the 8 weeks, the other 4 weeks they were on big expedition) - and I jumped at the chance.

So although I didn't see much of them during the day i.e. I couldn't go to their classes. We still had breakfast, morning line-up, lunch and dinner together; and then we'd do evening line-up, canteen and evening group activity together.

I got a little bit of both worlds - whilst getting an excellent summer experience. Over $1m passed over my book during the season.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone planning on going from n.ireland, i might go, im just after turning 18, last year of high school. do you have 2 ave special skills. iv worked wif children b4

ReputationRep:
    No, but what sort of experience do you have working with children?

ReputationRep:
    wel im doing an early years course at school, so iv spent a few good months working in a primary school and a creche, and i have another two placements to do this year, working with older children

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where camp america actually is? and do you have a have any qualifications to work? I've scanned through this thread, but cant find the answers..

ReputationRep:
    Camp America is in London. It is not an actual camp, they recruit for camps across the US. You do not need any formal qualifications to work.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, im panicking right now. I've had no contact from CCUSA. Completed my whole application, just sent my CRB off etc. But all my money has been refunded and my application has disappeared from footprints. Whats going on? Surely I cant have been rejected already (they would have informed me would they not) Im really not happy right now. This *is* the last time ill be able to go to camp!
    Ive emailed them to see whats going on, i really really hope i havent been rejected I dont understand why i would have been rejected!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried ringing them? might be easier to get a direct answer than by email? Hope it is all ok!

ReputationRep:
    im considering applying for the canada camp through CCUSA but was wondering how often they accept people who are 18. i would turn 19 half way through. i have a sports leaders certificate and would want to teach horseriding, so obv have the relevant skills for that, would that make it more likely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    Omg, im panicking right now. I've had no contact from CCUSA. Completed my whole application, just sent my CRB off etc. But all my money has been refunded and my application has disappeared from footprints. Whats going on? Surely I cant have been rejected already (they would have informed me would they not) Im really not happy right now. This *is* the last time ill be able to go to camp!
    Ive emailed them to see whats going on, i really really hope i havent been rejected I dont understand why i would have been rejected!!

Hi Crystal i have had the Same Done to Me, i Rang them and i have not been accepted, APPARENTLY they are taking less international Students this year..
    They say they have already refunded me my money but its not back on my card yet.

They Did not inform me either i have to ring to see where my application is to find out i had not been accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faye_b)
    Hi Crystal i have had the Same Done to Me, i Rang them and i have not been accepted, APPARENTLY they are taking less international Students this year..
    They say they have already refunded me my money but its not back on my card yet.

They Did not inform me either i have to ring to see where my application is to find out i had not been accepted.
    Its official. I have now got the email. What company did you apply through. Im now going to apply through BUNAC and see what my chances are with them.
    I thought it was so rude that they didnt inform me, just waited for me to contact them! Ive also just sent my CRB off which cost me near on £50. If they actually told me I wouldnt be out of pocket, as i wouldnt have sent it off!!

ReputationRep:
    Its official. I have now got the email. What company did you apply through. Im now going to apply through BUNAC and see what my chances are with them.
    I thought it was so rude that they didnt inform me, just waited for me to contact them! Ive also just sent my CRB off which cost me near on £50. If they actually told me I wouldnt be out of pocket, as i wouldnt have sent it off!!

Im Going with BUNAC too, I'm Doing mine tonight, what reason did they give you?

When did you Get the Email.?

Well it was only Monday that i got an email asking if i could get the rest of my references in, and then now they tell me i'm not accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I was with CCUSA too.

ReputationRep:
    Im Going with BUNAC too, I'm Doing mine tonight, what reason did they give you?

When did you Get the Email.?

Well it was only Monday that i got an email asking if i could get the rest of my references in, and then now they tell me i'm not accepted.
    Oh the irony, i got an email saying 'APPLY NOW' alongside 'You have not been accepted'
    I got that email today when i emailed them asking what the fudge was going on. I emailed back with complaints (ive had little support from CCUSA during the application process) and the email that i got back seemed rude to me.
    The reason was i had not enough teaching experience. HELLO!! I TAUGHT ENGLISH IN DENMARK!! Im not happy with CCUSA at all, cant say a good thing about them!

ReputationRep:
    Oh the irony, i got an email saying 'APPLY NOW' alongside 'You have not been accepted'
    I got that email today when i emailed them asking what the fudge was going on. I emailed back with complaints (ive had little support from CCUSA during the application process) and the email that i got back seemed rude to me.
    The reason was i had not enough teaching experience. HELLO!! I TAUGHT ENGLISH IN DENMARK!! Im not happy with CCUSA at all, cant say a good thing about them!

i checked my emails i still have not had an official one, but overall CCUSA are soo rubbish i not had support either.
    the girl on the phone says that they have payed me my money back but i called my bank and it has not been put back yet.
    Ha yeah i have a childcare 2 year course.

one breath the girl said that they were not takin many iternational students, then she said well you have not got enough childcare experience..

They contrdict thereself on the phone, so that why i'm going to email to see what is what.

I'm soo annoyed with the communication between them

ReputationRep:
    i checked my emails i still have not had an official one, but overall CCUSA are soo rubbish i not had support either.
    the girl on the phone says that they have payed me my money back but i called my bank and it has not been put back yet.
    Ha yeah i have a childcare 2 year course.

one breath the girl said that they were not takin many iternational students, then she said well you have not got enough childcare experience..

They contrdict thereself on the phone, so that why i'm going to email to see what is what.

I'm soo annoyed with the communication between them
    I know, really frustrating!!! I think they are just making excuses really to not send as many people. Anyway BUNAC application is nearly done, hope for better luck. Just noticed your from Nottingham! Me too, how weird

ReputationRep:
    I know, really frustrating!!! I think they are just making excuses really to not send as many people. Anyway BUNAC application is nearly done, hope for better luck. Just noticed your from Nottingham! Me too, how weird
    Yeah i think that too because she was really contradiciting herself.
    Is BUNAC application same/similar to CCUSA..

Ohh where in notts you from?

ReputationRep:
    CCUSA and BUNAC have always been that way, they boast near 100% placement rates as they ONLY take on people they are sure to place. Camp America make no such guarantees, but at the same time, place a lot of people that CCUSA and BUNAC wouldn't be sure they could place.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Everywhere i look people talk about the fees for CCUSA being £299, but on my application, it says I owe £399..why?! It says :

application fee - £100
    acceptance fee - £325

However, it says if i book now I get £26 off

Total: £399

Why is this? Please help! Also, what vare my chances of even getting a place, it seems like i've left it pretty late compared to alot of you on here....

Thanks!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.