Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    Omg, im panicking right now. I've had no contact from CCUSA. Completed my whole application, just sent my CRB off etc. But all my money has been refunded and my application has disappeared from footprints. Whats going on? Surely I cant have been rejected already (they would have informed me would they not) Im really not happy right now. This *is* the last time ill be able to go to camp!
    Ive emailed them to see whats going on, i really really hope i havent been rejected I dont understand why i would have been rejected!!
    phone them first thing tomorrow!
    *off to check mine now to make sure its all ok...*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faye_b)
    Yeah i think that too because she was really contradiciting herself.
    Is BUNAC application same/similar to CCUSA..

Ohh where in notts you from?
    BUNAC application is alot simpler than the CCUSA ive found so far, and you can book your interview even when you havent finished the application.
    Im living near the train station, Canal Wharf How about you?

My friend has given me the number of the leeds office for CCUSA, and said to phone them because apparently they are alot nicer. So i may do that tomorrow.

Anyway this is the email i got, which i thought was really rude. Because one, i definitely did not get any of those emails she mentions, and 2 it clearly said to apply for a CRB on the application.
    Thanks for your email. You have been notified by post. I can only imagine that with the numerous postal strikes the letter has yet to reach you.

As for your comments, I do appreciate all feedback. However, you were emailed in early August to inform you we had received your application and we would not be contacting you until October regarding your application. Applications made in July – September were pre-registration only. You were then sent another email at the end of August explaining the same thing. Since then you have also received 4 emails from CCUSA updating you on the status of your application.

An email was also sent out explaining that we had been experiencing difficulties with our online system, and that references submitted prior to September 15th had not been saved. So, I will dispute all comments that you had not been informed of these things.

I cannot comment on your friends’ application, or her success on the program. The situation with the camping industry and the economy has changed over the past 12 months, and your friend may have been one of the lucky ones who was accepted and placed early in the season. I judge each applicant on a case by case basis and assess the chances of placement. Last year we also aimed to accept double the amount of participants we are accepting this year. The selection process for summer 2009 is very different to the selection process for 2010. It is unfair for you to judge your experiences with your friends. Every applicant is different and can offer different skills to summer camp and CCUSA.

We are not processing CRB applications this year, and at no point in the initial application stage were you asked to send in a CRB application. Your passport and cheque is being returned to you. You should receive it tomorrow. No refund of charges incurred by sending these documents in will occur. It is clearly stated in the program agreement that refund of fees paid to CCUSA is the limit of our responsibility.

BUNAC are a reputable company and I wish you good luck in your application to work at camp with them. I am sure you will make a wonderful camp counselor, but unfortunately, you do not have the skills and experiences CCUSA require for summer 2010.

ReputationRep:
    ooh well i have emailed the lady who told me to send in the rest of my references she always seemed nice asking for stuff, but i have not got a reply yet. i asked her why i havenot got my money back yet either..

It DEFFINATELY DID say apply for a CRB, i seen that too, but now it has change to be named something like a ACPR or ACPO, not quite sure which one it was. but CRB WAS on there.

I never got updated either, only one i received was Monday to ask me to send in the rest of my things. but i Did get the one about the reference system, but that was only because i emailed into them asking what had happened to it.

Bunac does seem easier i have completed three parts but not booking my interview untill i have confirmation from CCUSA, is the LEEDS number on the website i might ring them too, as my woman who told me just contradicted herself

ReputationRep:
    I can understand how CCUSA probably feel, there was possibly an issue with the company that handles their emails, who knows, they are obviously fustrated by the number of emails they have received.

I would not say it is outright rude though. If you look objectively at it, it states their points and wishes you luck in the future.

I don't particularly like CCUSA, but the email seems professional and fair (even if brutally honest on their part).

Go ahead and apply to BUNAC or CA and hopefully you will have more luck. CCUSA are very specific on who they will take.

ReputationRep:
    sam.. even though i am not doing it for the money on any of the companies, do you know what camp america price to go are and what the wages you receive is.. ??

ReputationRep:
    Approx: £500 (all external fees included). Pay varies from $575 to over $1000 depending on position and camp.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me, do i have to go to London to sort out my visa?? I live in scotland and got confused lol.

ReputationRep:
    You can also go to Belfast, but whether they allow that or not varies year by year.

ReputationRep:
    What a hassle =|

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is, but that is the same with all the organisations and is what the US stipulate.

ReputationRep:
    I Was Going To Go By CCUSA Well First I Started With Camp America.Com But Then Switched To CCUSA But Now I'm Going To See If I Can Go Direct To The Camp Although I'm Not Sure How Yet But I Have Also Applied Via CCUSA, Hopefully I'll Get To Do It Before I'm Off To Uni In September 2010

I'm Remaining Hopeful =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes well they should have one in scotland!

ReputationRep:
    Is it your first time? I would reccomend not doing that (if your camp will even do it) until at least the second time. You will need the assistance and speed of the agencies, plus they are reputable, the embassy doesnt even bat an eyelid with them, whereas they will consider how reputable your camp is in terms or their own sponsorship.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go. wanted to go last year but wasnt 18 lol gonna take a lot of saveing to make it next year:O can anyone tell me when you have to pay each section? and do you not have a time limit on when you have to finish the next part of the application, send photos and refrences away??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    I really want to go. wanted to go last year but wasnt 18 lol gonna take a lot of saveing to make it next year:O can anyone tell me when you have to pay each section? and do you not have a time limit on when you have to finish the next part of the application, send photos and refrences away??

You pay around £36 for CRB and you have to pay 1st deposit... then 2nd.. all the other payments come a bit later on. You pay them in installments though and not all at once.

You don't really have a time limit for the application. If you're applying next year.. you could always take a look at the application this year and write your paragraphs, get photos ready and make sure you know who can write your references.
    Just make sure you apply early and apply well before January.

ReputationRep:
    i was planning on applying just now, but was wondering when they would take each of the deposits from me and the other money:O

ReputationRep:
    one sec - I did keep a record of each payment & when --- I will go have a look! lol arghh I just typed it all out and it disappeared grr will try again!

Month 1 = 1st deposit - £60
    Month 2 = 2nd deposit - £66
    CRB - £36
    Month 3 = Camp Merchandise - £20

2 Months later(when I got placed) = Medical insurance - £165
    Airport taxes + fuel - £178
    Visa App. fee = £108
    Optional baggage insurance fee - £62
    Optional pre-existing insurance upgrade - £14
    Glasgow, Scotland flight - £92 (which I later got refunded because I changed to fly
    from Heathrow, which is free.)
    Return DIY ticket from central + northern cities = £140

My extra costs : Train ticket to London for visa - came to around £70 return. (because I forgot my student railcard grr)
    Train ticket to Leeds for interview - £22 return.

Hope this helps give you an idea of the costs and when they are expected!

ReputationRep:
    whats the return DIY ticket? is this you flight home? do you not have a flight set for you?
    Thanks for the info btw!

Oh also.. when you go for your visa do they take your passport from you? im going on holiday in march and il need it obv..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    whats the return DIY ticket? is this you flight home? do you not have a flight set for you?
    Thanks for the info btw!

Oh also.. when you go for your visa do they take your passport from you? im going on holiday in march and il need it obv..lol

You get the choice to pick a free flight from New York and have a fixed date OR the return DIY ticket - which you pick your return date while your over in the US. ( you can do it up to a week's notice- which is what I did as I didn't know when I would be returning) If you pick a fixed date and want to change it - it can end up costing a lot of money.

Even though the New York flight is 'free' It's not really as you have the cost of making your way to New York. My camp was near Chicago so it made sense for me to fly home from there.

And yes they do take your passport from you. Takes about a week to get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    Yes well they should have one in scotland!
    They do have a US consulate in Scotland, you just can't go there to get a visa which was annoying as hell as I live about 20 mins walk away from it in Edinburgh and still had to go to Belfast.... I'd go there, so much less hassle than going to London, and you get your passport back the next day.

(I know I'm not around this year on the CA thread, sorry!! I'm crazily busy with uni and I now have mod type powers in PS help which takes up a lot of time I'm still reading this though)

And no one here is late, you're all early - I applied in March the year I went (2007)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.