Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    :hello: I've been around this sub-forum for a while and now I really want to do Camp America, hopefully at special needs camp...
    You seem to know a lot about this, so do you know would we have to leave England? I'm on a gap year atm, but I have an exam on 29th June '10, which I think may prevent me from going to camp america this year

Thanks in advance
    I'm the same, damb re-sits ona gap year haha
    but mine is on the 21st and I think you have to leave the UK before the 25th...you could always phone them up and ask if you could change it slightly??

(Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I'm the same, damb re-sits ona gap year haha
    but mine is on the 21st and I think you have to leave the UK before the 25th...you could always phone them up and ask if you could change it slightly??
    I know :p:
    If they say no, then I think I'll just have to do the exam in January if I still want to go ahead with it. I'm not sure about CA trip though, so I will see =)
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of applying this year as I missed out last year, can anyone give me information about the camp power roles, if you have done this before what did you do what did it involve? Also I’m no longer in full time education does this affect my chances at all?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mothy)
    Thinking of applying this year as I missed out last year, can anyone give me information about the camp power roles, if you have done this before what did you do what did it involve? Also Im no longer in full time education does this affect my chances at all?
    If you're not a student you can't do the support staff roles in America, but can be a counselor. You can be support staff in Canada through CCUSA though

ReputationRep:
    I just called up the CRB people and they said they have no record of my application

I had my interview ages ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    I just called up the CRB people and they said they have no record of my application

I had my interview ages ago!
    False Alarm... just signed in and it says i'm "ready to be placed"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    woohoo, you will love it. One of the best things you'll ever do
    wondering if you could help me
    I had a delay with my app because I needed to change my availibility dates...so now I've just paid another £100 to do my CRB and 2nd deposit, but still on my homepage it says that I need to send in my criminal records stuff? do I acctully need to send them anyhting or was it just the payment that I hadn't paid was due in (which i have just done about 5min ago)

ReputationRep:
    False Alarm... just signed in and it says i'm "ready to be placed"
    I think I might be int he same boat haha
    they still say they don't have my CRB, but I also owed them £102 just paid all of that so hopefully my app will change to "ready to be placed" within the next week!! you don't ahve to send any CRB things do you?

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be int he same boat haha
    they still say they don't have my CRB, but I also owed them £102 just paid all of that so hopefully my app will change to "ready to be placed" within the next week!! you don't ahve to send any CRB things do you?
    I think this seems to be happening to quite a lot of people!

No, i didn't have to send anything off! I thought i had to, but it doesn't seem to be the case!

Just yesterday it was saying i needed my CRB to be sent off... but today that message had gone!

ReputationRep:
    "ready to be placed" thats always great to see

Useful Links:

Summer camp info, Summer camp jobs, Camp America, BUNAC summer camp USA, Summer camp jobs USA, Camp jobs, Summer camp jobs in Canada, Summer camp jobs UK, Summer camp jobs Europe, Summer camp forum

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    woohoo, you will love it. One of the best things you'll ever do
    Just worried bout the interview! MY application form is good as I have a lot to write down...but when it comes to interviews I can just freeze!!! Still, I'm really excited!

ReputationRep:
    After all this bother, ive decided to pull out, which im really sad about.
    Ive got my degree show in may, and if an employer offers me a job, it seems silly to turn it down just to go to camp for 2 months. Plus I will be able to go to my graduation.
    Im still really sad about it though, maybe do it in a couple of years (counsellor).

The thing is, I have my interview on the 14th of November (paid my deposit). How to I tell them? Do I go to the interview and tell them, or do I contact them asap? Will this affect my deposit?

ReputationRep:
    I would contact the interviewer ASAP to let them know you don't want to do it anymore.

To my knowledge, you won't get the deposit back. I'm not 100% sure though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    After all this bother, ive decided to pull out, which im really sad about.
    Ive got my degree show in may, and if an employer offers me a job, it seems silly to turn it down just to go to camp for 2 months. Plus I will be able to go to my graduation.
    Im still really sad about it though, maybe do it in a couple of years (counsellor).

The thing is, I have my interview on the 14th of November (paid my deposit). How to I tell them? Do I go to the interview and tell them, or do I contact them asap? Will this affect my deposit?
    my friend pulled out 4 days before her interview and got her deposit back!

ReputationRep:
    :hello: I've been around this sub-forum for a while and now I really want to do Camp America, hopefully at special needs camp...
    You seem to know a lot about this, so do you know would we have to leave England? I'm on a gap year atm, but I have an exam on 29th June '10, which I think may prevent me from going to camp america this year

Thanks in advance
    Hey

Definitely go to a special needs camp it's amazing! well they say you have to be available from May to August. But... on the application you can pick your availability date!
    However, 29th June is a little late... but maybe you could email camp america and ask?? Because I know some camps start later and finish end August/September!

Hey

Definitely go to a special needs camp it's amazing! well they say you have to be available from May to August. But... on the application you can pick your availability date!
    However, 29th June is a little late... but maybe you could email camp america and ask?? Because I know some camps start later and finish end August/September!
    I will try to do that exam in January if possible and then apply around March, when I get the results. Is it very competitive and do you think it's an advantage if an applicant has experience in caring role etc... I really hope I get an opportunity to do Camp America...

One more question ... How much overall did it cost to go to CA, including flights, everything... I'm going to start saving money, because I'm serious about this now :p:

Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    I would contact the interviewer ASAP to let them know you don't want to do it anymore.

To my knowledge, you won't get the deposit back. I'm not 100% sure though!
    my friend pulled out 4 days before her interview and got her deposit back!
    I cancelled. I asked about my deposit, and they are unable to refund me it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    I cancelled. I asked about my deposit, and they are unable to refund me it
    acctually I've just been on the phone with her, and she hasn't ahd it back yet, but her interviwere did say that she will...so not sure!!

sad that you pulled out...but good luck in whatever your doing instead

ReputationRep:
    I will try to do that exam in January if possible and then apply around March, when I get the results. Is it very competitive and do you think it's an advantage if an applicant has experience in caring role etc... I really hope I get an opportunity to do Camp America...
    One more question ... How much overall did it cost to go to CA, including flights, everything... I'm going to start saving money, because I'm serious about this now :p:
    Thanks =)
    No it's not very competitive at all! Not that many people want to do it.. most people go for other camps with kids/ girl scout camps etc.. as the special needs camps are very demanding - more than a normal camp. caring from day till night! so a lot of hours!
    I would wake up at 6:45 - get myself ready then shower camper, get them dressed - spend whole day with helping with activities + helping them eat meals - put them to bed around 10pm then 2 counsellors were on duty from 10pm-12pm which we would rotate - so by the end of the day I was knackered and would sometimes fall asleep on duty lol - not a lot of space to yourself - some campers you had to be with ALL the time - holding there hand! This one girl had autism and if left on her own would rip stuff up and go flush it down the toilet!

Now about costs, I posted this before but I'll just copy and paste it!

Month 1 = 1st deposit - £60
    Month 2 = 2nd deposit - £66
    CRB - £36
    Month 3 = Camp Merchandise - £20

2 Months later(when I got placed) = Medical insurance - £165
    Airport taxes + fuel - £178
    Visa App. fee = £108
    Optional baggage insurance fee - £62
    Optional pre-existing insurance upgrade - £14
    Glasgow, Scotland flight - £92 (which I later got refunded because I changed to fly
    from Heathrow, which is free.)
    Return DIY ticket from central + northern cities = £140

My extra costs : Train ticket to London for visa - came to around £70 return. (because I forgot my student railcard grr)
    Train ticket to Leeds for interview - £22 return.

that's all the costs

If you have anymore questions, I really dont mind answering them

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go this year but I'm off on two holidays & a festival instead.
    Next year definately!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.