Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Holamigo)
    No it's not very competitive at all! Not that many people want to do it.. most people go for other camps with kids/ girl scout camps etc.. as the special needs camps are very demanding - more than a normal camp. caring from day till night! so a lot of hours!
    I would wake up at 6:45 - get myself ready then shower camper, get them dressed - spend whole day with helping with activities + helping them eat meals - put them to bed around 10pm then 2 counsellors were on duty from 10pm-12pm which we would rotate - so by the end of the day I was knackered and would sometimes fall asleep on duty lol - not a lot of space to yourself - some campers you had to be with ALL the time - holding there hand! This one girl had autism and if left on her own would rip stuff up and go flush it down the toilet!
    Thanks so much for the information Are you going to re-apply this year?
    Ok, so the cost is about £1000... I'm going to start saving, because I spent all my money this summer doing voluntary work abroad.
    Helping with the activities, did that include swimming activities? :erm: I can't swim, so I hope this won't affect my application :o:

ReputationRep:
    just found out yesterday i got accepted by Bunac....ahhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, hate paperwork, but its nearly over yeah...
    227days until camp...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Thanks so much for the information Are you going to re-apply this year?
    Ok, so the cost is about £1000... I'm going to start saving, because I spent all my money this summer doing voluntary work abroad.
    Helping with the activities, did that include swimming activities? :erm: I can't swim, so I hope this won't affect my application :o:
    Yep I would start saving if I was you - but to be honest I had like no money when I applied! I just thought i'd fill in the application and see what happens lol! it all went so quick!
    No it wont affect your application - there were people who couldn't swim, but you still have to go in the water no matter what. Especially with people who need support - you have to help transfer them from their wheelchair to pool chair then support them in the water. The pool wasn't very deep at all! We also had canoes and pedal boats which you had to go on with 3/4 campers.

oo where did you do voluntary work abroad?? did you enjoy it?
    Nah I'm not re-applying - I start my nursing course in march and only get about 3 weeks off in the summer! So would be pointless. Also when I was there the director had a nervous breakdown! and the assistant director took over and she had a stroke towards the end!! :O so she's left now too and some new people have took over!
    I think it's the type of thing I'll only do once - it was very hard but such an amazing experience aswel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mothy)
    Thinking of applying this year as I missed out last year, can anyone give me information about the camp power roles, if you have done this before what did you do what did it involve? Also I’m no longer in full time education does this affect my chances at all?

camp power includes kitchen yeah?.. I really wouldn't do it if I was you, be a counsellor!
    As you will feel very left out of the whole group! And normally people who do camp power roles are foreign because they don't have to talk much in the kitchen! There was 3 polish workers in the kitchen at my camp - I was like the only one who made an effort with them really! the rest of the counselors (49 of them) didn't really get to know them! Also the dance's that we had every week - the kitchen staff couldn't attend because they had to wash pots so they were really left out of it all!

Does not matter if your not a student - you don't have to be! Don't know why people think you do. I wasn't when I went and many people werent.

Yep I would start saving if I was you - but to be honest I had like no money when I applied! I just thought i'd fill in the application and see what happens lol! it all went so quick!
    No it wont affect your application - there were people who couldn't swim, but you still have to go in the water no matter what. Especially with people who need support - you have to help transfer them from their wheelchair to pool chair then support them in the water. The pool wasn't very deep at all! We also had canoes and pedal boats which you had to go on with 3/4 campers.

oo where did you do voluntary work abroad?? did you enjoy it?
    Nah I'm not re-applying - I start my nursing course in march and only get about 3 weeks off in the summer! So would be pointless. Also when I was there the director had a nervous breakdown! and the assistant director took over and she had a stroke towards the end!! :O so she's left now too and some new people have took over!
    I think it's the type of thing I'll only do once - it was very hard but such an amazing experience aswel!
    I did it in Africa. It was great, but it was all work no play kind of thing. :p:
    I hope I don't have to go too deep in the water, not more than knee deep anyway
    I bet you had to work more than the other counsellors? Did you have time for hanging out with the counsellors alone? Your profile pics are nice by the way, the place looks beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I did it in Africa. It was great, but it was all work no play kind of thing. :p:
    I hope I don't have to go too deep in the water, not more than knee deep anyway
    I bet you had to work more than the other counsellors? Did you have time for hanging out with the counsellors alone? Your profile pics are nice by the way, the place looks beautiful.

Wow i'd love to go to Africa! Might go after a qualify. Bet it was good there! what sort of things did you do there?
    The water came up to your chest - but could stand up ok! So not too deep.
    Well we were all guaranteed at least one day off every weekend but sometimes we got two! We would all go in this big wagon which could hold like 15 of us! and we would go to the mall and stuff - Which was nice!
    The weekend on the 4th July a few of us went up to Chicago and we stayed at one of the other counsellors house who lives up there! They had a little party and we went to watch the fireworks in the city at night! which was really cool!
    Other times - went to cinema few times with people, few house parties! and one of my american friends was in Uni and lived in halls so we stayed at hers sometimes aswel!
    I miss it a lot! its sad that I wont really see a lot of the people again! but I will go back one day and visit!

The place in my profile pic is in Arizona! - we went on a roadtrip there which took 2 days ! My camp was in Illinois, close to Chicago!

ReputationRep:
    Wow i'd love to go to Africa! Might go after a qualify. Bet it was good there! what sort of things did you do there?
    Well we were all guaranteed at least one day off every weekend but sometimes we got two! We would all go in this big wagon which could hold like 15 of us! and we would go to the mall and stuff - Which was nice!
    The weekend on the 4th July a few of us went up to Chicago and we stayed at one of the other counsellors house who lives up there! They had a little party and we went to watch the fireworks in the city at night! which was really cool!
    Other times - went to cinema few times with people, few house parties! and one of my american friends was in Uni and lived in halls so we stayed at hers sometimes aswel!
    I miss it a lot! its sad that I wont really see a lot of the people again! but I will go back one day and visit!

The place in my profile pic is in Arizona! - we went on a roadtrip there which took 2 days ! My camp was in Illinois, close to Chicago!
    reading that has made me 100x more excited about next year!!! I can't wait for the travellig afterwards either..I want to go sky diving/bunjee jumping!!

oww and I've just made a connection, you were that girls who was batteling with me agianst those idiots who were being arsses about Wales!! haha

Wow, that sounds really nice. You obviously had a great time You can still contact them by facebook though :p:

It is really weird to go somewhere on your own, without family and friends.
    I wasn't really interested about applying before, but after reading some of your posts on here about a week ago, that's all changed. :yes:

I was working in hospital, assisting nurses and doctors. I was even allowed to take part in surgeries, which I was quite happy about
    But I used to stay indoors every afternoon, because that's when it was really hot outside. I even got a tan :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh I have my interview today =D Can't wait! Bit nervous though...

ReputationRep:
    camp power includes kitchen yeah?.. I really wouldn't do it if I was you, be a counsellor!
    As you will feel very left out of the whole group! And normally people who do camp power roles are foreign because they don't have to talk much in the kitchen! There was 3 polish workers in the kitchen at my camp - I was like the only one who made an effort with them really! the rest of the counselors (49 of them) didn't really get to know them! Also the dance's that we had every week - the kitchen staff couldn't attend because they had to wash pots so they were really left out of it all!

Does not matter if your not a student - you don't have to be! Don't know why people think you do. I wasn't when I went and many people werent.
    Cheers for the info Holamigo, i will probably go for the counsellor role. did you enjoy the states and the travelling after

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone wear for their interview?? is it formal or what? Helppp! PLEASE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    What did everyone wear for their interview?? is it formal or what? Helppp! PLEASE!!!
    Informal, jeans and hoody.. it is just a chat really.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that sounds really nice. You obviously had a great time You can still contact them by facebook though :p:

It is really weird to go somewhere on your own, without family and friends.
    I wasn't really interested about applying before, but after reading some of your posts on here about a week ago, that's all changed. :yes:

I was working in hospital, assisting nurses and doctors. I was even allowed to take part in surgeries, which I was quite happy about
    But I used to stay indoors every afternoon, because that's when it was really hot outside. I even got a tan :p:

Yeah I do still speak to most of them on facebook and skype! Which is good but a lot of the campers I probably wont see again!

Yeah it is weird that you have a whole experience on your own.. but that makes it more special - and it didn't feel like I was on my own at all. On the way I met 6 others at the airport! We all wore our red camp america t-shirts so we could find each other! I met one girl at the US Embassy - we were just having a chat and then found out we were both going to same camp! So I reconigsed her straight away at the airport!

Ahh I bet that was amazing! did you learn a lot? I'd love to do that next! bet it was boiling there!!
    it was hot enough in america - reached 105 F, that's the hostest weather i've ever been in though - i'm not used to heat lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mothy)
    Cheers for the info Holamigo, i will probably go for the counsellor role. did you enjoy the states and the travelling after

Yeah it was amazinggg ! definitely do it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    reading that has made me 100x more excited about next year!!! I can't wait for the travellig afterwards either..I want to go sky diving/bunjee jumping!!

oww and I've just made a connection, you were that girls who was batteling with me agianst those idiots who were being arsses about Wales!! haha

haha oh yeah! hello!! Remember those idiots!? puting Wales down!! grr :mad:

What sort of camp you wana go to?? You will have an amazing time Especially if your brave enough to do sky diving/ bunjee jumping! lol

I jumped of a high rope thing - which was at camp! that was bad enough haha not so keen on heights!

Yeah I do still speak to most of them on facebook and skype! Which is good but a lot of the campers I probably wont see again!

Yeah it is weird that you have a whole experience on your own.. but that makes it more special - and it didn't feel like I was on my own at all. On the way I met 6 others at the airport! We all wore our red camp america t-shirts so we could find each other! I met one girl at the US Embassy - we were just having a chat and then found out we were both going to same camp! So I reconigsed her straight away at the airport!

Ahh I bet that was amazing! did you learn a lot? I'd love to do that next! bet it was boiling there!!
    it was hot enough in america - reached 105 F, that's the hostest weather i've ever been in though - i'm not used to heat lol!
    It's a relief that we can meet them beforehand in the airport yay
    I was thinking about how am I going to get there on my own... that really is great. how long did it take for the embassy to issue a visa?

Yeah, it was really hot but I kind of got used to it after few weeks. I learned a lot, it was a really good experience. They treated me like 'one of their own' and I was allowed to do whatever the nurse does under supervision.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all....
    sorry if this has been asked before.

I cant seem to upload my references from a word document!
    It says on the camp America site "The file uploaded must be an image file of type jpg, gif or png".
    Any ideas how to convert!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenightisyoung-soarewe)
    Hey all....
    sorry if this has been asked before.

I cant seem to upload my references from a word document!
    It says on the camp America site "The file uploaded must be an image file of type jpg, gif or png".
    Any ideas how to convert!!
    Thanks
    I scaned them, then edit copy edit paste into paint to turn them JPEG sure there is a proper way...but I am no fan of computers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I scaned them, then edit copy edit paste into paint to turn them JPEG sure there is a proper way...but I am no fan of computers!!
    ohh...so you cant attach the file??
    Suddenly makes sense!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.