Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenightisyoung-soarewe)
    ohh...so you cant attach the file??
    Suddenly makes sense!!
    oww and when you click save as make sure you save it as a JPEG (at the bottom of th pop up box there is like an arrow and you can choose what kind of file you want to save it as)

ReputationRep:
    so i really wanted to do camp america this year but my graduation is in mid-july which falls right bang in the middle of the camp iv been doing a lot of googling and most american camps require you to be free for 8 weeks which i couldnt do. does anyone know of any which are only 4 weeks long? or alternatively, any camps which start after mid-july (since i would be free up to mid-sept).

otherwise can you still do camp america when u have graduated? i guess i could do it in 2011 instead...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thats_my_poison)
    so i really wanted to do camp america this year but my graduation is in mid-july which falls right bang in the middle of the camp iv been doing a lot of googling and most american camps require you to be free for 8 weeks which i couldnt do. does anyone know of any which are only 4 weeks long? or alternatively, any camps which start after mid-july (since i would be free up to mid-sept).

otherwise can you still do camp america when u have graduated? i guess i could do it in 2011 instead...
    You can do it after you have graduated

America have their summer holidays at a slightly different time to us, so they won't go on until mid-September.

You could always look at similar things in this country for next summer, it would be good experience for Camp America.

ReputationRep:

Had the same problem last year. I've graduated now so I've applied for Summer 2010.

ReputationRep:

You can do it if you're not a student provided you are applying for a councillor role. Its only a requirement to be a student in the term AFTER camp if you want to be one of the support staff (this is with Camp America, I'm not sure about the other companies) I've heard of some people flying home for three days to go to their graduation but this I suppose would depend upon the felxibility of your camp. Also, can't you move your graduation to december maybe?? If not then just apply for 2011! I ended up having to wait an extra year but it gave me more time to save up money to use during camp and also for travelling after meaning I can have even more of an amazing summer this time than I would have last time. Its up to you =] Maybe email some of the companies??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    It's a relief that we can meet them beforehand in the airport yay
    I was thinking about how am I going to get there on my own... that really is great. how long did it take for the embassy to issue a visa?

Yeah, it was really hot but I kind of got used to it after few weeks. I learned a lot, it was a really good experience. They treated me like 'one of their own' and I was allowed to do whatever the nurse does under supervision.
    Well me and the other girl I met at the embassy - arranged it through facebook- there was a group for our camp!
    Even though we didn't sit next to each other on the plane it was nice to get to know everyone at the airport!

When I got placed I had 3 weeks notice! so they tried to do it as fast as they could - it took one week.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't heard back from my interview... it has only been a week and a half but I don't like to wait! Don't think I am going to cope if I do get accepted and not knowing where I might to placed... roll on the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckillas)
    I still haven't heard back from my interview... it has only been a week and a half but I don't like to wait! Don't think I am going to cope if I do get accepted and not knowing where I might to placed... roll on the summer
    Don't worry, you are so early that you have a good chance of being placed. You have ages left.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know if it would be too late to apply in early february for Camp America 2010?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonia1)
    Hi, do you know if it would be too late to apply in early february for Camp America 2010?
    It wouldn't be but many camps have finished dealing with internationals by then, the recruitment fair is then so all the ready to be placed people would be getting spots. If you have to get a police check they take ages to come back and you don't go on ready to be placed until that comes back. Remember the early you apply, the earlier you get placed.!!!:p:

ReputationRep:

no that's not too late at all!!

I applied in Jan... didn't get placed until May and flew out there in May too!

I'd say your fine up till early March but April is too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    no that's not too late at all!!

I applied in Jan... didn't get placed until May and flew out there in May too!

I'd say your fine up till early March but April is too late.
    Oh woah, that's a bit of relief! Did you enjoy it? I'm going to try to do it as soon as possible, like the other poster suggested but realistically, I won't be able to until February!

This would be my first time actually doing Camp America (which I'm sure is already obvious!), have you got any tips for picking camps? Also, my previous experiences include lifeguarding, dofe silver (which I have yet to complete) and things like tutoring. Would that be enough?

Thank you! Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Oh woah, that's a bit of relief! Did you enjoy it? I'm going to try to do it as soon as possible, like the other poster suggested but realistically, I won't be able to until February!

This would be my first time actually doing Camp America (which I'm sure is already obvious!), have you got any tips for picking camps? Also, my previous experiences include lifeguarding, dofe silver (which I have yet to complete) and things like tutoring. Would that be enough?

Thank you! Any advice would be appreciated.

Obviously its better to apply as early as you can so you are guaranteed a place but jan/feb is still quite early when you think you're applying for the summer!! Yeah I really enjoyed it thanks! It was amazing.

Well the camps pick you more than you pick them.. but if you do get a few offers you have to just think which one you prefer! Can I ask why you want to apply in Feb?
    If I was you i'd start the application now.. because there's loads of paragraphs you have to fill in about yourself - write it in word first and make sure it's perfect, also get your references & photos ready etc...that way by the time feb comes all you have to do is submit your application!

I also had lifeguarding experience and thought I would get a job at a lifeguard at camp but DON'T! a lot of the programme staff - like lifeguards or that teach a specific acitivity like... sports etc.. got quite left out of it - I still think the best role is a counsellor you get very involved in all the activities and you live in the same cabin as them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Obviously its better to apply as early as you can so you are guaranteed a place but jan/feb is still quite early when you think you're applying for the summer!! Yeah I really enjoyed it thanks! It was amazing.

Well the camps pick you more than you pick them.. but if you do get a few offers you have to just think which one you prefer! Can I ask why you want to apply in Feb?
    If I was you i'd start the application now.. because there's loads of paragraphs you have to fill in about yourself - write it in word first and make sure it's perfect, also get your references & photos ready etc...that way by the time feb comes all you have to do is submit your application!

I also had lifeguarding experience and thought I would get a job at a lifeguard at camp but DON'T! a lot of the programme staff - like lifeguards or that teach a specific acitivity like... sports etc.. got quite left out of it - I still think the best role is a counsellor you get very involved in all the activities and you live in the same cabin as them!
    Haha, yeah I'd like to avoid lifeguarding anyway! Done enough of that during my summer holidays before!
    I think I'll do what you said and start the application now and start preparing it for February. I'm on a gap year and until the end of January things are unfortunately reall hectic! I'll try my best to do it as soon as possibly because it sounds really amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah I'd like to avoid lifeguarding anyway! Done enough of that during my summer holidays before!
    I think I'll do what you said and start the application now and start preparing it for February. I'm on a gap year and until the end of January things are unfortunately reall hectic! I'll try my best to do it as soon as possibly because it sounds really amazing!
    yeah even if you do a little bit at a time.. and getting references & photos at last minute is quite hard so if you can get that sorted early it would help things move along quicker!

good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to do the summer camps next year and i'm applying through BUNAC.

I've got my interview today and i'm pretty nervous!! What did people wear for the interview and should i be worried about the questions!

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks later

"Ready to be placed — your application is currently being circulated around camps/resorts. If you are pre—placed, your application has been forwarded to your specific camp."

:jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brucethemoose)
    I'm hoping to do the summer camps next year and i'm applying through BUNAC.

I've got my interview today and i'm pretty nervous!! What did people wear for the interview and should i be worried about the questions!
    skinny jeans, Uggs, t-shirt and cardi...went for a meal afterwards to where my interviewer worked..so no worries it is not that formal...Q are about skills you have and stuff mostly the more you say about yourself the better, the more things he/she writes down the better your report will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    2 weeks later

"Ready to be placed — your application is currently being circulated around camps/resorts. If you are pre—placed, your application has been forwarded to your specific camp."

:jive:

Waheyyyy!! :woo: I loved seeing that!!! And would check it everyday haha.

After seeing that change I was placed 3 months after!!! its horrible waiting! I started to give up hope!

Good luckkk with it

ReputationRep:
    Just came across this topic and thought I'd join in..

My cousin done camp america a few years ago and ever since I've always wanted to do it but i was never old enough, but now is my chance.

I applied in the middle of October and paid my 1st deposit and filled out the application. Had my interview on the 8th november (i was so nervous, now i realise i didnt have to be) , my interview went very quick, she just asked me why i wanted to do the program and my experience with kids. Also the fact i didnt have to fill out any crb check forms sped up the interview (i didnt have to because ive just had one done) .

The same day i got sent an email telling me to answer newer questions on the application, i have done all of that now, got all my references on there, the only thing i need to do now is upload my 2 activity photos which im finding really hard to do because im usually the one taking pictures! lol... What kind of photos have you guys uploaded?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.