The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Hi,

I've had a look through the thread (what a task!!) and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Camp Leaders, all I can find is 'its cheaper'! Are they a good company to go with?
I applied through CCUSA last year but quite late and ended up being rejected, so thought I might go through a different company this year. I don't really want to go through BUNAC because they have messed me around with another programme before, so leaves me with Camp America or Camp Leaders.
Its so exciting reading through this thread seeing everyones placements! I just hope someone wants me this time around!!

:smile:
Reply 521
Woo! Just heard back from my interview with BUNAC and have been provisionally accepted - but didn't realise both my references couldn't be from teachers :-s - now have to find a third reference - grr!!!
schpanzy
Hi,

I've had a look through the thread (what a task!!) and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Camp Leaders, all I can find is 'its cheaper'! Are they a good company to go with?
I applied through CCUSA last year but quite late and ended up being rejected, so thought I might go through a different company this year. I don't really want to go through BUNAC because they have messed me around with another programme before, so leaves me with Camp America or Camp Leaders.
Its so exciting reading through this thread seeing everyones placements! I just hope someone wants me this time around!!

:smile:

It is a big thread! lol:biggrin:

Camp leaders is meant to be cheaper. I went with Camp America - I would recommend them for your first year to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Can I ask why CCUSA rejected you? I can't believe the amount of people who keep getting rejected when they have good skills!
s_k
Woo! Just heard back from my interview with BUNAC and have been provisionally accepted - but didn't realise both my references couldn't be from teachers :-s - now have to find a third reference - grr!!!

Yeyyy well done!! :biggrin:

Sucks about the references! I went with CA and they allowed 2 references from my tutors.
What do you do if your printed version of your application puts your skills as wrong e.g. Saying your 'Photography - Digital' is 'can assist' rather than 'can lead'. And all your 'can leads' are 'can assists'. Because we need to take copies to recruitment fairs and it dumbs down your skills!
Reply 525
You could write on them and change them? Or tell them its printed them the wrong way around.
Reply 526
Holamigo
It is a big thread! lol:biggrin:

Camp leaders is meant to be cheaper. I went with Camp America - I would recommend them for your first year to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Can I ask why CCUSA rejected you? I can't believe the amount of people who keep getting rejected when they have good skills!

Thanks for the advice - I've ended up filling out the same application with Camp Leaders and CCUSA (even though I don't really want to go with them but mainly because I can use last years app which took an age!)
Just need to decide who to send it off with, I will definately look into CA a bit more, I'va had a look on their forums and everyone seems happy, not the best place to get an impartial view obvs, but lots of placing going on - which makes me worry how late I am applying!

As for the rejection I did apply very late, I think all the 'camp fairs' had been held and stupidly I said in my interview I didn't want to work with special needs children when they basically said 'will can definatley get you a place in one of these camps' - What an idiot. I'm actually hoping to get such a camp this year after working with a child with learning and behavioural issues, not that I really have experience with these kids...I think I was too selfish a year ago! To be fair I asked them the reasons for my rejection and they did send me quite a long letter back which was really helpful, I'm still doubtful this year as I havent really got any more teaching experience like they recommended...
Sorry - This is a bit of an essay!
Hey :smile: Do you think it is too late for me to apply now?
DiamondsAreForever
Hey :smile: Do you think it is too late for me to apply now?

Nope definitely not :smile:

I applied late January last year and I still got a placed :smile:
schpanzy

and stupidly I said in my interview I didn't want to work with special needs children when they basically said 'will can definatley get you a place in one of these camps' - What an idiot. I'm actually hoping to get such a camp this year after working with a child with learning and behavioural issues, not that I really have experience with these kids...I think I was too selfish a year ago! To be fair I asked them the reasons for my rejection and they did send me quite a long letter back which was really helpful, I'm still doubtful this year as I havent really got any more teaching experience like they recommended...
Sorry - This is a bit of an essay!

Ow that's a shame you didn't take up the special needs camp! I went to one over the summer was the best experience EVER and it was with kids and adults.

I'm glad you're gonna reconsider this year :smile:

Good luck with it! Just come across as really keen to learn new skills etc! i'm sure you will get a place - keep us all posted!:biggrin:
Holamigo
Nope definitely not :smile:

I applied late January last year and I still got a placed :smile:

Yayyy :biggrin: I really want to do it, I've always wanted to go to America so much, and I think seeing it through a childs eyes will be even more of an exciting experience, whilst learning alot about myself. Only one problem. I don't know if many other people experience this but my boyfriend has said he probably won't want to stay with me if I go, even though we've been together for 2 years :/ I'm in two minds!
Reply 531
Hi,
does anyone know roughly when the latest date for applications for 2010 is?
Thanks! :smile:
You dont really want to leave it too late because you may not get placed. But im not sure of the latest date, anyone?
Reply 533
kitkat_1
Hi,

Think it depends who you go with. Had a look on the CCUSA wesite (who I'm going with) and it said the end of Feb but it's best apply as early as you can.
Reply 534
sassy_girl
You dont really want to leave it too late because you may not get placed. But im not sure of the latest date, anyone?

Not sure how to do multi quotes!
kitkat_1
Hi,

Think its around April, well it was last year.
DiamondsAreForever
Yayyy :biggrin: I really want to do it, I've always wanted to go to America so much, and I think seeing it through a childs eyes will be even more of an exciting experience, whilst learning alot about myself. Only one problem. I don't know if many other people experience this but my boyfriend has said he probably won't want to stay with me if I go, even though we've been together for 2 years :/ I'm in two minds!

It is amazing. :biggrin:

I was the same, I applied when I had been with my boyfriend for over a year. He didn't like it to be honest and so many times I thought of withdrawing the application!!! I'm SO glad I didn't because 3 weeks before I got placed he broke up with me as he moved to Scotland! If your bf says he wont want to stay with you if you go that's more of a reason to go! He's using emotional blackmail there.
I remember at camp the people with boyfriends back home were always missing them and feeling down! and 2 of them - when they got home they had broke up with their bfs. It's not the same when you have travelled a different country and experienced so many things without them...When I got home I just wanted to go away again!! :biggrin:

I know it's not easy to break up especially when you have been together for so long( I was devastated but it helped me get over it because i was on a plane to AMERICA!! and met so many different people!)

So please think of yourself, if it's something you have always wanted to do then DO IT! you will learn so much from it!
Holamigo
It is amazing. :biggrin:

I was the same, I applied when I had been with my boyfriend for over a year. He didn't like it to be honest and so many times I thought of withdrawing the application!!! I'm SO glad I didn't because 3 weeks before I got placed he broke up with me as he moved to Scotland! If your bf says he wont want to stay with you if you go that's more of a reason to go! He's using emotional blackmail there.
I remember at camp the people with boyfriends back home were always missing them and feeling down! and 2 of them - when they got home they had broke up with their bfs. It's not the same when you have travelled a different country and experienced so many things without them...When I got home I just wanted to go away again!! :biggrin:

I know it's not easy to break up especially when you have been together for so long( I was devastated but it helped me get over it because i was on a plane to AMERICA!! and met so many different people!)

So please think of yourself, if it's something you have always wanted to do then DO IT! you will learn so much from it!

its just such a hard thing to decide to do.. we literally do lots together, went on holiday together this summer.... I need to tell him tonight because I need to pay my first deposit and get everything rolling... but I can't face it if he broke up with me over it :frown: I want to go to a 9 week camp.. which still leaves loads of summer left over and I could see him after, I don't know why he won't see it! :frown:
DiamondsAreForever
its just such a hard thing to decide to do.. we literally do lots together, went on holiday together this summer.... I need to tell him tonight because I need to pay my first deposit and get everything rolling... but I can't face it if he broke up with me over it :frown: I want to go to a 9 week camp.. which still leaves loads of summer left over and I could see him after, I don't know why he won't see it! :frown:

I really understand! I was exactly the same, me and my bf at the time spent loads of time together and the thought of leaving him!!! I couldn't do it!
I think he knew that I really wanted to go and he took it as his time to go and explore another country ( he had always wanted to go to Scotland) So it was the perfect time to end it!

I know it's hard but if you really want to do it then please don't let him change your mind. 9 weeks is a long time, so I can understand him not liking it. Also you will get the opportunity to meet lots of other guys so he's probably worried about that too.

At the end of the day, if he really loves you he will wait until you get back! If he is telling you he will end it then why not end it first?? otherwise the heartache will carry on for longer!
Holamigo
I really understand! I was exactly the same, me and my bf at the time spent loads of time together and the thought of leaving him!!! I couldn't do it!
I think he knew that I really wanted to go and he took it as his time to go and explore another country ( he had always wanted to go to Scotland) So it was the perfect time to end it!

I know it's hard but if you really want to do it then please don't let him change your mind. 9 weeks is a long time, so I can understand him not liking it. Also you will get the opportunity to meet lots of other guys so he's probably worried about that too.

At the end of the day, if he really loves you he will wait until you get back! If he is telling you he will end it then why not end it first?? otherwise the heartache will carry on for longer!

AHHHH :frown: you are so incredibly right! Imagine if I did all that and then I didn't get placed :frown: haha

Latest