Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    spending your time with annoying whining American kids?tsch....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Any ideas as to why this is? Mine is about to circulate (just have to upload and pay the second installment) but I really want to go and find a camp etc as I'm scared ill miss out.

In your experience what was the day like? Did many people get hired on the spot?
    Nope not quite, if you have a print out of your full application form (which you have completed all sections on) you go in first. If you havent completed the application form you go in slightly later in general.

It is not relevant whether it is circulating yet.

ReputationRep:
    im going to go to the london fair on the 30th! i want to do lifeguarding so how will i know which ones are the best to go to first as i hear you have to work quickly to get a good place!

ReputationRep:
    In your experience what was the day like? Did many people get hired on the spot?
    I went to the Edinburgh recruitment fair last year, it was mad! I'd already been placed at a camp, me and my friend had agreed to go together when we first applied, so I tagged along for moral support!

We got there pretty early, about 3 hours before it started, and ended up waiting in Starbucks with most of the Camp America team, because it was so cold, and we didn't want to start the queue!

Around an hour before it started we were allowed to wait in the foyer, because every one was sooo cold! We were split into 2 groups, the ones who had been interviewed, and had there application circulating, and the ones who had not yet been interviewed.

The first group were allowed into the room with the camp directors first, the other group went into another room, for a little presentation i think.

I think quite a few people were hired that day, the queue to process the paperwork once you had been hired was pretty long, around 30people in front of us, and it was getting longer as we waited. Me and Clare was one of the first people in, and she got hired at her first choice camp.

My camp director was also there, which meant I got to chat with her, I'd been hired the week before and had loads of questions. She hired around 7 staff that day, our a camp only had 24 staff in total, so it quite a lot really!

I'm going along again this year, as moral support again!

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulabell)
    I went to the Edinburgh recruitment fair last year, it was mad! I'd already been placed at a camp, me and my friend had agreed to go together when we first applied, so I tagged along for moral support!

We got there pretty early, about 3 hours before it started, and ended up waiting in Starbucks with most of the Camp America team, because it was so cold, and we didn't want to start the queue!

Around an hour before it started we were allowed to wait in the foyer, because every one was sooo cold! We were split into 2 groups, the ones who had been interviewed, and had there application circulating, and the ones who had not yet been interviewed.

The first group were allowed into the room with the camp directors first, the other group went into another room, for a little presentation i think.

I think quite a few people were hired that day, the queue to process the paperwork once you had been hired was pretty long, around 30people in front of us, and it was getting longer as we waited. Me and Clare was one of the first people in, and she got hired at her first choice camp.

My camp director was also there, which meant I got to chat with her, I'd been hired the week before and had loads of questions. She hired around 7 staff that day, our a camp only had 24 staff in total, so it quite a lot really!

I'm going along again this year, as moral support again!

Hope this helps!
    Very helpful thank you! I'm mainly worried, as I havn't got any skills like lifeguarding or archery or anything but I did used to be an activity leader (co-ordinating arts, crafts etc) at a UK camp for quite a few years. I have the experience, just not much special talent!

What was your friend looking for a place in?

ReputationRep:
    Very helpful thank you! I'm mainly worried, as I havn't got any skills like lifeguarding or archery or anything but I did used to be an activity leader (co-ordinating arts, crafts etc) at a UK camp for quite a few years. I have the experience, just not much special talent!

What was your friend looking for a place in?
    I'm sure if you just act confident in what you can do you'll be fine!

She was looking for a place in a camp in Florida, can't remember whereabouts.

I've just got my returnee invite though now i just have to save my pennys! anyone know where i can get a job?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if you just act confident in what you can do you'll be fine!

She was looking for a place in a camp in Florida, can't remember whereabouts.

I've just got my returnee invite though now i just have to save my pennys! anyone know where i can get a job?!
    Was she looking for a particular job eg lifeguard or was she like me?

Try TNS mystery shopping! Quick cash!

ReputationRep:
    Was she looking for a particular job eg lifeguard or was she like me?

Try TNS mystery shopping! Quick cash!
    Nope, just a general counsellor.

You've got experience as an activity leader, which should be more than enough! More than I had!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just a general counsellor.

You've got experience as an activity leader, which should be more than enough! More than I had!
    Okay thank you! You've been mega helpful
    You've made me feel a little bit more reassured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Nope not quite, if you have a print out of your full application form (which you have completed all sections on) you go in first. If you havent completed the application form you go in slightly later in general.

It is not relevant whether it is circulating yet.
    My application is all submitted and when I log on I can't see it anymore. How can I print it off for the Recruitment Fair?

ReputationRep:
    There should be a view application form or print application form link somewhere near the top left. If not call CA and they will get it back there for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    There should be a view application form or print application form link somewhere near the top left. If not call CA and they will get it back there for you!
    I do have that but when I click on it, I can just see a blank page with red Java Script on it, not the application. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that I'm not gonna have my references in time for my interview or the recruitment fairs

ReputationRep:
    I dont have my references ready and my interview is tomorrow. Apparently that is fine and you upload them when you get them. I hope i have mine ready for the recruitment fair because thats how you're supposed 'sell' yourself

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, did anyone else get that email about working at that golf resort in the Hamptons??

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you! You've been mega helpful
    You've made me feel a little bit more reassured!
    no probs, i hope you get somewhere good!

ReputationRep:
    I did. But I want to be a councellor

ReputationRep:
    Is no one else having the problem that their not finished uni for the summer?
    for some reason this year my uni doesnt finish until the 9th of july which means i miss the last departure date.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that is really really late! I haven't heard of someone finishing in July before!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that is late! I finish 21st may.

I had my interview today and have completed the rest of my app, when will my app start circulating. Will it circulate without my references because I don't have them yet??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.