Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Camp America 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_girl)
    Wow, that is late! I finish 21st may.

I had my interview today and have completed the rest of my app, when will my app start circulating. Will it circulate without my references because I don't have them yet??
    When you finish the application it is forwarded to head office and you get a different page. It tells you what you need to do before the application is circulated.
    Pay for CRB, pay for second deposit, upload references.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screech_00)
    Is no one else having the problem that their not finished uni for the summer?
    for some reason this year my uni doesnt finish until the 9th of july which means i miss the last departure date.
    Yeah I'm the same but officially my exams are over (hopefully!) a week or two earlier and Ive just put that on my form... Do you have a week free or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, havent written on here in ages......

Sadly I'm not placed yet...... my applicationstarted circulating in the middle of december..... I e-mailed two camps i liked the look of and one replied saying they will ask camp america to send them my application to have a look at...... hopefully they like the look of me and hire me *fingers crossed* , i just want to be placed already, if not luck this month I may go to the London recruitment fair..... i really dont want to though, its going to be so busy and i doubt ill get placed there....... depends what camps are going, the list is going up on the site sometime this week..

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to the recruitment fair in London???

ive heard some people are queuing from 10?! crazyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginger-simon)
    anyone going to the recruitment fair in London??? working at it

ive heard some people are queuing from 10?! crazyyyy yep
    --

ReputationRep:
    When is the time its too late to apply to CA.

I need to complete my app, upload my reference and pics and get an interview.
    Which I'll do tonight, tomorrow at latest!

I've being holding off till I get my second reference.

Have I left it too late?
    Also I can't go to recruitment fair due to work- does this lessen my chances hugely!

I'll apply anyway, but just wondering realities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)
    When is the time its too late to apply to CA.

I need to complete my app, upload my reference and pics and get an interview.
    Which I'll do tonight, tomorrow at latest!

I've being holding off till I get my second reference.

Have I left it too late?
    Also I can't go to recruitment fair due to work- does this lessen my chances hugely!

I'll apply anyway, but just wondering realities?

I dont think your too late however you could have applied without having refernces like I did mid december and I should have mine by the end of this week and my interview was yeaterday.

Most people apparently apply around this time of year and most camps start recruiting in January. So id say apply, what have you got to lose! Except for missing out?

ReputationRep:
    The list of camps attending is finally up!!! Yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_girl)
    The list of camps attending is finally up!!! Yay
    Just been having a look! I see a few that im intrested in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Just been having a look! I see a few that im intrested in!
    I've seen them too I can't sleep I'm too excited, I've already made a list :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    I've seen them too I can't sleep I'm too excited, I've already made a list :ahee:
    Me too! Which ones did you like??
    I really want to go to a traditional american camp with both boys and girls - so I've narrowed out most others.

ReputationRep:
    Me too! Which ones did you like??
    I really want to go to a traditional american camp with both boys and girls - so I've narrowed out most others.
    Yeah I'm going to the Edinburgh one, and I didnt realise how many camps there were that cater for special needs children, and also religious camps. I really want to go to Camp Blue Ridge though , doubt I'll get given a place! I looked up some photos of the activities I would want to teach/assist on some of the camps websites and they look so professional I don't think I'm good enough

ReputationRep:
    O wow there's loads of camps that do horse riding, hopefully i'll be able to get placed, however quite a few want 19 year olds and I only turn 19 on the 14th of August. Unfortunatly I cant get to the Manchester fair as ive got 2 legacy resits on that day, so im off to the London fair. I really hope this doesnt wreck my chances of being placed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Yeah I'm going to the Edinburgh one, and I didnt realise how many camps there were that cater for special needs children, and also religious camps. I really want to go to Camp Blue Ridge though , doubt I'll get given a place! I looked up some photos of the activities I would want to teach/assist on some of the camps websites and they look so professional I don't think I'm good enough
    Yeah I get the impression Camp Blue Ridge will be quite popular! I also like the look of Camp Che-Na-Wah. I'm intrested in that sort of camp anyway.

What activities do you want to lead etc? What experience have you got?
    I have no idea what my competition is like :p:

I want to be General Counsellor but can so arts, crafts and drama.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get the impression Camp Blue Ridge will be quite popular! I also like the look of Camp Che-Na-Wah. I'm intrested in that sort of camp anyway.

What activities do you want to lead etc? What experience have you got?
    I have no idea what my competition is like :p:

I want to be General Counsellor but can so arts, crafts and drama.
    Well I feel like theres gonna be soooo many more people who are going to be better than me! Umm... I did various types of dance from the age of 4 until I was 15.. mainly Irish dancing which I competed in for years haha. Umm... gymnastics I did for about 7 or 8 years... I don't feel like I would be able to lead a class after seeing some of the photos from some of the camps on their websites though. I wouldn't mind being a general counsellor either, but I really quite fancy lifeguarding! So.. quite a mix !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    --

what camp are u working for???

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was there representing my camp, this year I am working for Camp America.

ReputationRep:
    I've paid the first payment and just have to upload my first reference and photos- when the website allows uploading again.
    Hopefully I should have the second reference before the end of the month.

I got an email from an interviewer saying to just go to the recruitment fair with the printed application does this include photos as well, also anything else?

Also do many people go to the recruitment fair on their own, as I will be getting the train or bus to the London fair. (providing I can get work off!)

Also on the CA site it says after interview to complete 'Application'- I'm guessing theres a second stage- when does this appear and what is it?

Hope you can answer my questions.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else planning on going to 2 recruitment fairs incase one doesn't work out..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Last year I was there representing my camp, this year I am working for Camp America.
    Can I ask - How did you pick out people to work at the camp? Was it a case of personality skills? Did you read the applications and then ask interview style questions? Or was it more of an informal chat?

I just want to get a feel of how to prepare!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.