Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I'm having problems with my CA application. I've finished it all, and uploaded my references but they havn't been checked over and I have asked for advice regarding my CRB but havn't heard anything back from my interviewer. I'm worried now
    I'm having problems with my interviewer also.. I am having problems with having my references, she said to ring her after she had finished Uni.. I did, and it just rang through, I tried later, and same again... I sent her a text today, and she hasnt replied. hmm!

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone have experience with children?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Although not technically a requirement, I am not sure a camp would hire without prior experience working with children.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.. interview today!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I spent all of last year making sure I had lots of experience working with children. Like Sam.hunton said, its not neccessarily a requirement but a lot of camps would rather have someone who had experience working with kids and wasn't the best at their skills rather than someone who was excellent at their skills but didn't have any experience with children. Have you got any experience? Because I dunno you could always try and get some now- volunteer at a programme or school or something and even if it can't go on your application yet, you can at least tell camps 'well this is what i've been doing since' you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Ahh.. interview today!

Good luck!!! Just be yourself and make sure to be bubbly and excited and stuff, really try to make an impression!

ReputationRep:
    ooooo good luck at ur interview!! mine is 6th Feb, im going with bunac. Do u need both ur references filled out for ur interview? and what are the chances of being accepted??

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know of anyone who has been rejected after their interview stage? also on ccusa how do you know if you have been accepted after the interview? where do you see it on footprints?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepsmilin)
    does anyone know of anyone who has been rejected after their interview stage? also on ccusa how do you know if you have been accepted after the interview? where do you see it on footprints?
    I applied really late last year with BUNAC and CCUSA (not at the same time!) and got accepted by both. However after I had paid the fees and provided references and whatnot, they both rejected me which was fair enough given how late I applied, but annoying seeing as they have already accepted me and I had to get all the forms sorted..
    I think they will always accept people, unless they are reallu really awful at interview and maybe are difficult about where they want to be placed.. but hmm.. are you waiting for confirmation? Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone applying with CCUSA? I'm thinking of doing my police check soon but it doesn't seemed to be a CRB anymore but a APCO. Just wondering who people have got to sign their passport photo? I can't really think of any professionals I have known for 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    My interview! I'll try to be quite detailed for those who are wondering what its like, but kinda brief since I'm procrastinating (got coursework in for tomorrow )

So I arrived and got on really well with my interviewer, it really is informal, its about how you come across, how easy you are to communicate with. I had a problem with my references but we sorted it out at my interview what we were going to do. She looked through my form and said it was really strong. I've only had experience with children in an academic environment but its better than nothing. She was pleased I'm going to a recruitment fair, and urged me to get there really early as its manic and you have to come across as really friendly but responsible, someone who get along with the kids but also a responsible member of staff who they can depend on. One thing that I will say is ask the interviewer questions. I wasnt really intending on doing so, but I was really interested at what she had done so I asked her what she did in all of her camps, if shes going back this year, where she went, how she found the culture, and handling the children, and she seemed pleased to tell me. She said I will probably get placed, its just a waiting game which can tear you to shreds! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    Yeah, I spent all of last year making sure I had lots of experience working with children. Like Sam.hunton said, its not neccessarily a requirement but a lot of camps would rather have someone who had experience working with kids and wasn't the best at their skills rather than someone who was excellent at their skills but didn't have any experience with children. Have you got any experience? Because I dunno you could always try and get some now- volunteer at a programme or school or something and even if it can't go on your application yet, you can at least tell camps 'well this is what i've been doing since' you know?
    No I don't have any, only observation I've had to do in a school due to my PGCE. I wanted to be a special needs counsellor as I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilties. I'm having doubts now and I don't think I'll be going to my interview. I'm planning to volunteer at a special school for children with disabilities every now and then (so far about twice) but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me where you find out the camps that are attending the ccusa job fairs? it says on the homepage to download the job fair handbook but where do you get that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    No I don't have any, only observation I've had to do in a school due to my PGCE. I wanted to be a special needs counsellor as I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilties. I'm having doubts now and I don't think I'll be going to my interview. I'm planning to volunteer at a special school for children with disabilities every now and then (so far about twice) but that's it.
    Awww no, go to the interview your interviewer will be able to tell you better than anyone here can =] Plus, I think that you would be ok at a special needs camp because of your experience with adults with learning disabilities. You can always try, right? Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    Awww no, go to the interview your interviewer will be able to tell you better than anyone here can =] Plus, I think that you would be ok at a special needs camp because of your experience with adults with learning disabilities. You can always try, right? Good luck
    Thanks for the encouragement. I can try I suppose and be persuasive and I heard experienced special needs counsellors are in demand. I'll call Bunac tomorrow and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    Thanks for the encouragement. I can try I suppose and be persuasive and I heard experienced special needs counsellors are in demand. I'll call Bunac tomorrow and ask.
    I don't know about Bunac, but with camp america there are quite a few special needs camps that cater for adults as well as children.
    So its definitely worth going to your interview and a great experience to talk about how your experience can relate.

I have my Interview tomorrow- I'm so excited!!! :yes:
    I really want to find out what the second stage of application Q's are?

...And I've looked at all the camps attending London recruitment fair- They all look so good! Is it wise to narrow the choices down? (Although it would be majorly tough) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)
    I don't know about Bunac, but with camp america there are quite a few special needs camps that cater for adults as well as children.
    So its definitely worth going to your interview and a great experience to talk about how your experience can relate.

...And I've looked at all the camps attending London recruitment fair- They all look so good! Is it wise to narrow the choices down? (Although it would be majorly tough) :woo:
    Oh okay good luck. I know that's what I was thinking so my experience could possibly be relevant. I'd say narrow down otherwise you'd be there forever, try and prioritise the one's you like the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)

I'd definately narrow them down, maybe pick between 3 and 5 because otherwise you're just gonna be wandering round. If you click on the names fo the camps then it tells you what each one is looking for staff wise, that should help you narrow it down

ReputationRep:
    How tough is to get accepted for CAMP America? I've always fancied it but my last experience working with children is 7 years ago when I was 16 volenteering for the local after school club and a summer playscheme job which only lasted a week due to low numbers..Wouldnt mind apply once i finish my masters (which Im hopfully going to start in september)..Do you need certain skills or being 26 help? Ive worked for 5 years in retail part time so very much doubt that will help.any thoughts or advice would be a big help

ReputationRep:
    This year, it seems particularly tough for obvious reasons. I would really recommend going out there and using your spare time to get experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.