Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone upload 2 activity photos for camp america. I cant find a second one as Im always taking the photos rather than in them =(

Seeing as video and youth work are 2 of my skills do you think if i put a still from a video i was in at the youth centre i worked at that this will be accepted??

Help please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_girl)
    Did everyone upload 2 activity photos for camp america. I cant find a second one as Im always taking the photos rather than in them =(

Seeing as video and youth work are 2 of my skills do you think if i put a still from a video i was in at the youth centre i worked at that this will be accepted??

Help please
    If it shows you working with children then that sounds totally relevant! You should!
    I put in two pictures, neither were particularly exciting but its nice for camps to be able to see you/increase your chances etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    If it shows you working with children then that sounds totally relevant! You should!
    I put in two pictures, neither were particularly exciting but its nice for camps to be able to see you/increase your chances etc
    Well they're around the age of 13, 14. I found some great stills and Im happy I kept the DVD

The two best stills dont really show my face as it was a two shot so you can see the back of me and the side of my face. It was when doing the voice overs and rehearsal for the film. Will it be rejected if it shows my back or should I find on in the actual film that shows my face. Because the good still has the microphone in the pic along with the other teens sitting in a circle with their scripts. I am the main thing in the shot but the camera was behind me

ReputationRep:
    Hey so this seems like the place to asks camp america realted questions so like I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea about how much spending money you should be taking if you are going to work at a camp all summer?

ReputationRep:
    Yay got accepted today! I just hope I get placed because my skills are not 'high demand'.. ahh well fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schpanzy)
    Yay got accepted today! I just hope I get placed because my skills are not 'high demand'.. ahh well fingers crossed!
    What are your skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    No I don't have any, only observation I've had to do in a school due to my PGCE. I wanted to be a special needs counsellor as I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilties. I'm having doubts now and I don't think I'll be going to my interview. I'm planning to volunteer at a special school for children with disabilities every now and then (so far about twice) but that's it.
    A lot of special needs camps take adults as well as children, so if you have experience with the adults then that should be fine! A lot people don't really have experience with people with special needs, but as long as your willing to give it ago then they fully train you, and fully support you throughout.

My camp ran for 7 weeks, 2 of which were kids weeks which were crazy, they had so much energy, and the other 5 were adults which were just as fun!

If you explain your experiences to your interviewer, i'm sure they find the perfect camp for you!

On another note, how do you become an interviewer? I think it's something I'd wanna do, and this gonna be my second summer at camp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lion_Attack_)
    Hey so this seems like the place to asks camp america realted questions so like I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea about how much spending money you should be taking if you are going to work at a camp all summer?
    CCUSA say somewhere to enter the country with around $300, which i about what i had!
    It would mainly depend on how often you get paid by your camp, if you don't get paid til the end then it may be wise to take somemore with you, but it all depends on how much time you get off, if you wanna go shopping etc...
    Also if your planning on some crazy coast to coast trip after camp, then it would be wise to take along some more.

I think think I spent around $1500 all summer, that was shopping every weekend and travelling for around 10 days along the east coast!

ReputationRep:
    If I get accepted...I'm taking about 500-600 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulabell)
    CCUSA say somewhere to enter the country with around $300, which i about what i had!
    It would mainly depend on how often you get paid by your camp, if you don't get paid til the end then it may be wise to take somemore with you, but it all depends on how much time you get off, if you wanna go shopping etc...
    Also if your planning on some crazy coast to coast trip after camp, then it would be wise to take along some more.

I think think I spent around $1500 all summer, that was shopping every weekend and travelling for around 10 days along the east coast!
    Thanks Oh so were you paid at regular times over the course of the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Oh so were you paid at regular times over the course of the summer?
    Yeah, we were paid every two weeks, but that's just my camps policy. My friend was at camp that didn't pay until the end, so be sure to check with your camp when you get paid so you can decide how much money to take with you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we were paid every two weeks, but that's just my camps policy. My friend was at camp that didn't pay until the end, so be sure to check with your camp when you get paid so you can decide how much money to take with you.
    Okay thanks! :cool: Just one last thing, sorry to be a bit persistent, but on average how much did you spend like on an average day like out and about away from camp during your time there, you know on like the day off, which the spending money is primarily for?

ReputationRep:
    As an idea, in your first year where you don't know anyone, chances are you may spend anywhere between $5 and $20 a night on taxis (nights off).

On days off I personally spend around $100.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks! :cool: Just one last thing, sorry to be a bit persistent, but on average how much did you spend like on an average day like out and about away from camp during your time there, you know on like the day off, which the spending money is primarily for?
    Well it depended where we went, one week we went to a huuuuge mall, and I think i spend about $200, cos I went a bit crazy in Abercombie & Fitch, Hollister, & American Eagle, but we weren't doing that every week!
    Average probably spent around $50/60 on crap in Walmart, or a trip to the cinema, getting chinese food afterwards, etc
    But it all depends on what you wanna do, or where is around you. Our camp organised things for us to do on weekends off, which were usually free so that cut down a lot!
    I went to the library a lot when I was there, which was free!

I know I keep saying it depends, but your camp might be really close to a city, so your gonna be tempted to spend more, where as it took us at least an hour to get anywhere, so I think that limited my spends, but I am a complete shopaholic! I came home with twice as much stuff as I went out with!

ReputationRep:
    Call them and ask? I really do not know for that one. They want to be as fair as possible, but the safety of the children on camp comes first.

To be honest lying really says something about you as they will find out. Besides you can't, you do not fill out a medical form, your doctor needs to.

ReputationRep:
    I think I read if you have been diagnosed with any kind of depression or other psycological disorder then you will be denied a visa, but I'm sure each case is individual yeah, I would check.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided, I'm just gonna tell them the truth, if they reject me then it's ok,I've had fun making my application video anyways :-)

ReputationRep:
    Oh god.... right. I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago, but I refused to take the tablets, I had a couple of counselling sessions and I feel absolutely fine now. I doubt I ever had depression, I was just going through a low patch. I remember my doctor saying he recorded it so it wouldnt affect job applications and whatnot... so when it comes to doing the medical form will it matter then? Pleaseeeee tell me it won't matter!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but he has to disclose it. He obviously is not allowed to lie.

ReputationRep:
    Where as at my camp you could get pro-rated cash advances from Accounting (i.e. me) equivalent to the length of your service less two weeks

So for instance, if you salary was $1000 for a 10 week term; then on Week 4 you could have had up to $200 ($1000/10 * (4-2)) advanced to you.

At the end of the season, you'd get a cheque for whatever was left in your pot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.