Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ah good, I'm working at a pub, within a church where a school is, but I'm employed by the school anyway.

I'm going to a christian camp too. I'll have to ring them.

ReputationRep:
    just had my phone interview with Bunac today for KAMP USA. don't think it went very well really, i wasn't expecting it. i sent my form in 2 days ago, got a phone call today asking to arrange an interview but i was in a lecture at the time and couldn't answer, rang the lady back and she said lets do the interview now!
    For anyone else applying to this she asked me why i wanted to work as a KAMP rather than a counciller, why i wanted to go to the usa, talked about my work experience and about a medical problem i had to put on the form (shoulder problem). hoping it went better than i thought it did, she said i should know within a week. fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I actually cannot wait! Got everything done, just waiting to hear back from them! FINGERS AND TOES (and everything else) CROSSED!

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email from a camp saying they want to ring me for an interview. does this mean i'v pretty much got the job and they just want to meet me, or should I be preparing myself for a proper interview?

has anyone else had a camp phone interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaj_ilh)
    I just got an email from a camp saying they want to ring me for an interview. does this mean i'v pretty much got the job and they just want to meet me, or should I be preparing myself for a proper interview?

has anyone else had a camp phone interview?
    well probs they want you! but you still need to self yourself over the phone!! you specialize in anyhting? o

ReputationRep:
    I am very specialized in Drama! I've had a look at the website and it looks like they have a pretty big Drama program (with a wider range of stage skills than most camps) so I'm guessing that's why they're interested! It's also an all girls camp, and I went to an all-girls school and have teaching experience with all girl groups- so I kindof expected that.

It's Camp Alleghany in West Virginia- a little more southern that I was expecting but I think that will be more of an experience!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to do this - or at least apply - this summer.

Two questions:
    1) If I don't get a place, do I get my money refunded?
    2) My college might not be finishing til 25th of June, is it likely that I'll still get offers? Or should I see whether I can take the last week or two off and go a bit earlier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I think I'm going to do this - or at least apply - this summer.

Two questions:
    1) If I don't get a place, do I get my money refunded? Everything except CRB, Visa, Medical Form, Medical Insurance and any other options not directly provided by Camp America.
    2) My college might not be finishing til 25th of June, is it likely that I'll still get offers? Or should I see whether I can take the last week or two off and go a bit earlier? Its possible, the earlier the better though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Thank you!

I'm going to ask tomorrow but I have a suspicion that it's a 'once you finish your assignments, that's it' kind of thing.

I'm filling in the application now, it's a bit hard! :p:

ReputationRep:
    You should still have a chance of being placed however CA did add this to there website a few days ago,
    http://www.campamerica.co.uk/news-fi...tion-update/60

Ugh I'm need CA to accept my photo's then my app will be circulating, I emailed Camp RimRock for a horse riding position and she liked my lesson plans I think, she just wants to look over my general application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amstead)
    You should still have a chance of being placed however CA did add this to there website a few days ago,
    http://www.campamerica.co.uk/news-fi...tion-update/60

Ugh I'm need CA to accept my photo's then my app will be circulating, I emailed Camp RimRock for a horse riding position and she liked my lesson plans I think, she just wants to look over my general application form.
    I'm hoping to go for the horse riding position too, though having a look at that I may need to take Swimming off of my skills list.

Can I ask, how much experience do you have teaching riding? I've never formally taught before but I'm very confident that I could do it, done a few informal lessons, pretty certain that I would have the right ideas and plans for lessons. And well, I'd bloody love to spend my summer teaching people to ride!

ReputationRep:
    None at all, however I think if you have alot of experience they will still consider you. Yay for riding since I was 4 ;D

Hmm does anyone know info about visa's? Im on my gap year atm and might be going around Europe to Tuscany with my grandparents in there campervan before camp. :cool: I was wondering how long id be without my passport for? As this could impact greatly on the time away in Europe I could spend...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Thank you!

I'm going to ask tomorrow but I have a suspicion that it's a 'once you finish your assignments, that's it' kind of thing.

I'm filling in the application now, it's a bit hard!
    You may as well find out the earliest possible date you'd be able to leave college then put that on your form as chances are you might get picked by a camp which doesn't actually start for a week after your earliest date.... it doesn't mean you'll actually be going on that date, I think my availability was a good week or more before the camp I ended up going to wanted me.

Also, camps are sometimes flexible with when you all arrive - at mine we arrived over a 4 day period and one of my friends arrived a week late for her camp because she couldn't leave the UK before then. Once you're employed its a lot easier to negotiate when you leave as providing there is a flight and you're there before the kids arrive (my friend got there the night the campers got there as most camps have a staff orientation week first) they seem to be okay with it.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I can get a riding position, I have no idea about how to specify a specific one though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amstead)
    None at all, however I think if you have alot of experience they will still consider you. Yay for riding since I was 4 ;D

Hmm does anyone know info about visa's? Im on my gap year atm and might be going around Europe to Tuscany with my grandparents in there campervan before camp. I was wondering how long id be without my passport for? As this could impact greatly on the time away in Europe I could spend...
    If you go to Belfast you get your passport back the next day by special delivery I think they have it a wee bit longer if you go to London as there are more people and you can opt to just be given it back at the airport.

ReputationRep:
    Hey when do people generally get back from camp america does anyone know? This seems to be the place to ask!

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere between the end of August and October generally.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is fantastic... my interviewer rung me saying I dont appear on her list anymore, because the head office have accidently removed me from the system. Fan-bludy-tastic.

ReputationRep:
    Filled in most of my application, can I ask someone who's been before to read over my skills and personal statement pieces (is that allowed)?

I'm also trying to think of what to do for the video, I want to use it to say that this would be a great op. for me because I haven't really touched on it in my P.S., but don't know how to do it without making it sound corny?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbilly)
    Hey when do people generally get back from camp america does anyone know? This seems to be the place to ask!
    My camp ends on Aug 14th, but I know many are for longer. It varies.

Diamonds - Thats REDICULOUS. I can't believe that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.