Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I went to a fair today (for Camp Leaders) and didn't have any luck... I wasn't expecting to or anything, but disapointing all the same as some of the directors I spoke to were very blunt! I know I don't have a degree or anything in art, but welding experience to do craft?! Ah well the CL people were nice - very consolling at my rejection lol - I just hoped I get placed somewhere as my acceptance only holds till April!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    Yeah, it's called Camp Red Leaf leave June 6th. I don't know the town just that we're flying to ORD airport.
    Edit: just realised that is the same airport I went too also known as Chicago O'hare!

You will have an amazing time at a special needs camp!!! An experience you'll never forget!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schpanzy)
    Yeah I went to a fair today (for Camp Leaders) and didn't have any luck... I wasn't expecting to or anything, but disapointing all the same as some of the directors I spoke to were very blunt! I know I don't have a degree or anything in art, but welding experience to do craft?! Ah well the CL people were nice - very consolling at my rejection lol - I just hoped I get placed somewhere as my acceptance only holds till April!!

Aww don't feel too down! You still have got a chance of getting placed.

I got placed around May time -I had 3 weeks notice before I was due to fly out there! So you never know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Edit: just realised that is the same airport I went too also known as Chicago O'hare!

You will have an amazing time at a special needs camp!!! An experience you'll never forget!
    ok, I hope so! Don't think I'm going to travel for much afterwards maybe 10 days- 5 in Las Vegas and 5 in LA then come back the end of August.

ReputationRep:
    ok, I hope so! Don't think I'm going to travel for much afterwards maybe 10 days- 5 in Las Vegas and 5 in LA then come back the end of August.
    I didn't travel afterwards - we got 2 week break on the 6th/7th week!

We went on a roadtrip to the grand canyon, Arizona and then las vegas took 2 1/2 days to get there! but was very cool and its good because you can just turn up at random motels and they normally have rooms left - quite cheap aswel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I didn't travel afterwards - we got 2 week break on the 6th/7th week!

We went on a roadtrip to the grand canyon, Arizona and then las vegas took 2 1/2 days to get there! but was very cool and its good because you can just turn up at random motels and they normally have rooms left - quite cheap aswel.
    Wow that is exactly where I want to go : Arizona then Las Vegas then Los Angeles and home. Oh so you got a coach- I was considering it but it would take over a day lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is exactly where I want to go : Arizona then Las Vegas then Los Angeles and home. Oh so you got a coach- I was considering it but it would take over a day lol.

no no we drove - hired a car. Was pretty cool as we went through lots of states like texas, oklahoma, colorado etc... was very tiring though!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 24 year old graduate (male) and I'm a very sporty and active person. However, I can't think of any relevant experience of working with children. I've got three younger sisters who I have sometimes been responsible for looking after I guess, but nothing other than that. What are my chances of being successful?

And when is the final deadline to apply?

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
    Crux

ReputationRep:
    hi guys! im hopefully doing camp america this summer and ive got my recruitment day soon. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the recruitment day? I dont really know how it works, do you get the opportunity to talk to as many camps as you want? Or do you only have time for one or two?
    also I was wondering if anyone knew if camp laurel are usually at the recruitment days..i really want to be placed there!
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crux)
    Hi, I'm a 24 year old graduate (male) and I'm a very sporty and active person. However, I can't think of any relevant experience of working with children. I've got three younger sisters who I have sometimes been responsible for looking after I guess, but nothing other than that. What are my chances of being successful?

And when is the final deadline to apply?

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
    Crux

You are applying quite late really as I think the deadline is around mid march.
    Still try apply as quick as you can and go to any recruitment fairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisyear!)
    hi guys! im hopefully doing camp america this summer and ive got my recruitment day soon. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the recruitment day? I dont really know how it works, do you get the opportunity to talk to as many camps as you want? Or do you only have time for one or two?
    also I was wondering if anyone knew if camp laurel are usually at the recruitment days..i really want to be placed there!
    Thanks x

I've never been to one but at my camp a few people who got accepted went and they said they just had an an informal chat with the camp director. I think they are normally quite busy aswel and probably don't get a chance to talk to loads of camps.

Why camp Laurel? you should try and be quite open about getting placed anywhere because at this stage it can be quite hard to get placed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisyear!)
    Thanks x
    I got placed at the CA fair in London in January. The best tip is to get there early!!!! Really early. The fair started at 12 I arrived at 11 and there were already hundreds of people queuing. Each person queuing will receive a booklet with a map, synopsis of the camps and the name and position of each camp there. Basically before the fair there should be two queues: 1 for those who have been interviewed and 1 for those who haven't. They start letting people in at the start time. Those who hadn't been interviewed like me had to go in to hear a 20 minute talk about CA and then were allowed to go into the fair. Those who had could just go straight in. The fair has a few stalls with camp directors, representatives and camp staff (sometimes) at each stall. They will have a notice saying what vacancies they have. It gets really really packed! My tips:
    Try and take your references, proof of ID for your CRB - it will speed things up- but if you don't have it don't worry
    Don't forget your printed application form
    Have patience because there will be loads and loads of people
    Get there early!!!
    If you go with a parent they will have to sit and wait in a seperate room for the duration of the fair
    Be chatty, friendly and confident with the camp directors
    Highlight your favourite camps before the fair (the list is up) so it is easier to navigate and less time consuming
    Be positive & optimistic
    Prepare for some interview question
    Take your card or cash for the deposit (if you haven't paid it)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever taken the resort option? Thinking of doing it as I'm not great with kids. I've found endless glowing reviews about Camp America but zilch about Resort America!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh guys I'll be returning to camp this year, so excited! Been reading about your experiences at the fairs, I got hied at a CCUSA fair last year and in my experience a lot of people did. Guess it depends on the camps there and what they're looking for at the time. Don't give up hope though, it's still quite early!

By the way, here's a mini list of things I advise you take that I wish I knew before I went:

The best bug spray money can buy
    If the weather is colder than you expected: asap buy lots of warm clothes and a pair of wellies from Walmart. You can ditch them afterwards before you travel, but get them as soon as you can to avoid mud filled flip flops and being so cold you cant enjoy yourself!
    Neon clothes and a bandana of some sort for dressing up
    English flag
    Facepaint
    Sharpies and sellotape. You'll always need them.
    DRY SHAMPOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I think I'm going to do this - or at least apply - this summer.

Two questions:
    1) If I don't get a place, do I get my money refunded?
    2) My college might not be finishing til 25th of June, is it likely that I'll still get offers? Or should I see whether I can take the last week or two off and go a bit earlier?
    Sent you a pm

ReputationRep:
    The best bug spray money can buy
    To the extent of don't bother buying it over here. Our stuff doesn't compare.
    Get it from a New York pharmacy or something.

If the weather is colder than you expected: asap buy lots of warm clothes and a pair of wellies from Walmart. You can ditch them afterwards before you travel, but get them as soon as you can to avoid mud filled flip flops and being so cold you cant enjoy yourself!
    In the upstate New York mountains, it gets real cold at night in August.

Throughout the Summer it WILL rain. And when it rains, it rains. Warm rain, but it's good for mudsliding afterwards.

Neon clothes and a bandana of some sort for dressing up
    Yep yep - and definitely some tees that you don't mind losing and throwing away during the season.

English flag
    English, Union Jack any flag.

Facepaint/Sharpies
    Sharpies are good. I fell in love with Sharpies and Super Sharpies over a camp. Was real happy when they turned up at WH Smiths a couple of year later.

DRY SHAMPOO
    Yep.

Some good advice! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    dont wanna sound stupid but what are sharpies?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah24387)
    dont wanna sound stupid but what are sharpies?!?!?!?
    A brand of permanent markers.

ReputationRep:
    hey I really want to apply to camp america this year, but I've just checked and applications close on the 28th! if i was really quick, would i still have time for an interview before then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justasmalltowngirl)
    hey I really want to apply to camp america this year, but I've just checked and applications close on the 28th! if i was really quick, would i still have time for an interview before then?
    This is a hard question o answer as it all depends if you can actually get an interview. Because applications are being stopped at the end of this month most interviewers are booked full! There was a person on here who wanted to apply but couldnt get an interview!

Your best bet is the recruitment day. You dont have to have done any of the application to go to the fair (last one is on 27th in London). So id say try and get to that fair if you really wanna do it through CA as it will probably be your last/best chance. Bearing in mind it is hard to get placed! My best advice for the fair is to smile alot, be warm and talk the directors butts off (they love it when your enthusiastic)!!! and dont let what they say faze you, because they may try to put you off by talking about the negatives of camp (its just a test lol and to prepare you)

I think even though the fair is your best chance it wouldnt hurt to still apply online and pray you can get an interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.