Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To anyone worrying about placements, all I can do is say email camps yourself asking about open positions.

That's how I sorted a placement last year (in mid May!) and I appear to have succeeded this year with a totally seperate camp. Quite a few Camps are still hiring, I arrange my own because the organisers usually place you somewhere close to NY to cut costs, but I arranged a camp in MS last year and I'm likely to go to CA in two months. I'm with Bunac.

ReputationRep:
    Not long till summer!

Just noticed this too, camp counselors can get 10% off all tours with intrepid which seems pretty good - http://www.summercampjobs365.com/article.php?id=1509

Anyone going to Camp Tockwogh in Maryland?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexicle89)
    To anyone worrying about placements, all I can do is say email camps yourself asking about open positions.

That's how I sorted a placement last year (in mid May!) and I appear to have succeeded this year with a totally seperate camp. Quite a few Camps are still hiring, I arrange my own because the organisers usually place you somewhere close to NY to cut costs, but I arranged a camp in MS last year and I'm likely to go to CA in two months. I'm with Bunac.
    How did you go about doing this? did you just email camps? also did you tell them you were doing it through bunac?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maeve_student)
    Sorry for the late reply, I always forget to look at this thread. I'm working in a camp in CT, and I was planning on seeing vegas, grand canyon etc. But now I'm really tempted to spend about 5/7 days in NY after the camp and save as much money as I can. I know it sounds a bit boring.

Does pretty much everyone travel (ie flying somewhere) after camp? Is it weird to want to save my earnings, and bring them home?
    Not everyone travels some people have to come straight home and some meet their family straight after, it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Yvonnay - if you apply direct to camps make sure they are working with your company (CA, CCUSA, BUNAC etc) and it should be fairly easy to arrange everything.

These links should be able to help as there is lots of advice / people going or who have been to camp before.

Summer Camp FAQ's
    http://www.summercampworldwide.com/c...forum.php?f=18

Placements 2010:
    http://www.summercampworldwide.com/c...wforum.php?f=4

you never know though you could get placed anytime with you comp!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at a gap year stage yet but I was wondering from those who have been, how much it costed just for your time at camp +flights/medical/everything else? Also, what did you do after you had finished at the camp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvonnay)
    How did you go about doing this? did you just email camps? also did you tell them you were doing it through bunac?
    Yeah you email the camp and they'll usually ask for you to fill out a questionnaire or email interview.

(Original post by fasteddy)
    Yvonnay - if you apply direct to camps make sure they are working with your company (CA, CCUSA, BUNAC etc) and it should be fairly easy to arrange everything.
    No they do not have to have worked with your organiser before. Some camps are not interested in the Bunac review process and carry out their own, my camp last year did this but I still had to have an interview with bunac anyway as its in the contract. All the organiser does in this situation is sort out your visa and possibly your flights, that's really all they do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I have my visa appointment this Thursday. I tried uploading a photo, but it says that it does not meet the requirements. Can I complete the form without a photo, as its just with an X at the moment? I plan on getting photos from the pharmacy right by the embassy, or do you have to upload the photo? Any help would be great! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezy2010)
    Hey! I have my visa appointment this Thursday. I tried uploading a photo, but it says that it does not meet the requirements. Can I complete the form without a photo, as its just with an X at the moment? I plan on getting photos from the pharmacy right by the embassy, or do you have to upload the photo? Any help would be great! Thanks.
    It doesnt matter if it doesnt work as long as you bring some with you. I would recommend getting them done at a photobooth before the day, as you may find queues at the pharmacy one as quite alot of people had to get theres done and i get the impression there was quite a wait.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this would still happen first thing in the morning? I got mine done there early (8am ish) last year, took 2 minutes, and I was planning to do the same this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daeonica)
    Do you think this would still happen first thing in the morning? I got mine done there early (8am ish) last year, took 2 minutes, and I was planning to do the same this year.
    Is there no reason why you can't get them done the day before or earlier? It just seems a wee bit of last minute rushing about for no reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Is there no reason why you can't get them done the day before or earlier? It just seems a wee bit of last minute rushing about for no reason!
    Yup I get home from France on the 19th, and travel down to London on the 21st for a visa appointment on the 22nd. I'll have a look for places that could do it in Glasgow, I just thought the pharmacy in London was a good option because I know that it's the right size then. It was just one less uncertainty if I go there.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I get home from France on the 19th, and travel down to London on the 21st for a visa appointment on the 22nd. I'll have a look for places that could do it in Glasgow, I just thought the pharmacy in London was a good option because I know that it's the right size then. It was just one less uncertainty if I go there.
    Two days is more than enough time - I came back from 4 months of travelling and then moved abroad for a year within 2 days!

Can't you just go to a regular photobooth like they have in Tescos etc? They'll definitely be the right size etc then as all they want are regular passport photos (unless they've randomly changed the rules in the last years!) .... I just had mine done in a chemist in Edinburgh and had no issues.

ReputationRep:
    They want them standard US passport sized - I thought that was different from UK sized ones?

Checked the guidelines from bunac, this is what I got told: "Everyone is still required to bring a US passport sized photo (2î by 2î) with them to their interview at the US Embassy even if you do upload a photo. (Postal applicants are also required to submit a photo with their application )
    The Embassy in London DO NOT accept photo booth photos. If applying in Belfast or Dublin, please follow their instructions."

ReputationRep:
    They want them standard US passport sized - I thought that was different from UK sized ones?

Checked the guidelines from bunac, this is what I got told: "Everyone is still required to bring a US passport sized photo (2î by 2î) with them to their interview at the US Embassy even if you do upload a photo. (Postal applicants are also required to submit a photo with their application )
    The Embassy in London DO NOT accept photo booth photos. If applying in Belfast or Dublin, please follow their instructions."
    Last year for my postal application I sent a UK sized photo and it went through fine.

ReputationRep:

I worried about this too. I uploaded a scanned passport photo and took a photo that I took and resize to 2x2 but they were fine with the uploaded photo.

Anyway they have a photo booth there for £4 if your photo isn't accepted so I wasn't sure why they strong about it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know for the health form if we need an medical examination? (btw I'm with CUSA) Just I'm on placement at the mo and havne't really got any spare time for a doctors appointment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckillas)
    Does anyone know for the health form if we need an medical examination? (btw I'm with CUSA) Just I'm on placement at the mo and havne't really got any spare time for a doctors appointment!
    Not unless something concerning shows up. It simply gets filled in by a doctor based on your medical history.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to Maine mid june, can't wait to get there. Got the exact placement i wanted and now i am perfectly placed afterwards to see New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.