The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gpugh1
Lol i cant believe parents are paying 10,000 dollars for their kids to attend the camp im going too (for 7 weeks!!). Is this a typical price of a camp in the US? :O

I have a feeling its a similar price for my camp. They charge an additional £500 dollars for a day trip to Montreal as well -> some people are clearly very loaded!
ive just rekected ready steady go :/
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
ive just rekected ready steady go :/

I think you should have still had high hope! What are your plans for summer now?:frown:
tradingmyheartforyours
I think you should have still had high hope! What are your plans for summer now?:frown:

I'm going to california to work on a farm for 4 weeks, then my mate is coming over for 2 weeks, gonan travel to Yosemite national park, do some hiking, then travel to Oakland, san fransisco, down to santa cruz, bak to LA, do bunjee jump at asuza then down to grand canyon for my last week. then home for bank holiday August hehe

that the plan, it will change a lot dependign on who I meet, might to the bunjee first before leaving LA when mate arrives..
been palnning since months really
Reply 964
woooo im flying tomorrow to jfk then to houston on tuesday!!!!!! well excited!
Reply 965
On the medical form where it says member number is that the number on your camp america homepage?
Amstead
On the medical form where it says member number is that the number on your camp america homepage?

yep
Reply 967
Thanks ;D Didnt want to put the wrong number down and have to pay for another copy.
Reply 968
Just had my visa date/appointment time, are we meant to get some forms through the post to fill in as well as the ones online?
Amstead
Just had my visa date/appointment time, are we meant to get some forms through the post to fill in as well as the ones online?

If you're with Camp America, you get some forms in the post, i think it's two of them you have to sign and date and just take them with you.
Reply 970
questionmark
If you're with Camp America, you get some forms in the post, i think it's two of them you have to sign and date and just take them with you.

Hmm what can I do if they don't come by Tuesday when its my visa appointment? It says they were printed on the 26th...
Amstead
Hmm what can I do if they don't come by Tuesday when its my visa appointment? It says they were printed on the 26th...

I'm not sure...maybe ring them just in case
Heyy,

I'm looking to apply to Camp America next year, and I want to apply as soon as it becomes available to... I just have a few questions to ask.

For the references, do we have to give our referees the Open Character Reference for them to fill in? (Sorry if thats a stupid question)

I know we have to have 2 references when applying for CA, would an old sixth form teacher and uni tutor be accepted for them?

If all goes well, when the application is circulating round... do you get offers that you have to accept? Or do you just get placed? Can you put any preference to where you'd like to be (as in part of america) or not?!

Sorry if any of these have been asked before! :smile:
Chloe-Marie
Heyy,

I'm looking to apply to Camp America next year, and I want to apply as soon as it becomes available to... I just have a few questions to ask.

For the references, do we have to give our referees the Open Character Reference for them to fill in? (Sorry if thats a stupid question)

Yes

I know we have to have 2 references when applying for CA, would an old sixth form teacher and uni tutor be accepted for them?

Yes this year I used two tutors and it was accepted

If all goes well, when the application is circulating round... do you get offers that you have to accept? Or do you just get placed? Can you put any preference to where you'd like to be (as in part of america) or not?!

You don't have to accept your first offer, but need to bear in mind you may not get another one. You do get placed first and then they will offer it to you, then you accept it or decline it. Yep you can definitely put in a preference I chose not to be considered for any religious camps. Other types include: camps for overweight campers, private camps, single sex camps, performance camps, outdoor camps, camps for the homeless, special needs camps etc. I ended up getting placed at the fair so didn't really matter what I put in the end.

Sorry if any of these have been asked before! :smile:

Hope it's been helpful!
questionmark
Hope it's been helpful!

You said that you used 2 tutors for your references... were they from the same place? Or did you have 1 from one place and one from another?!
Chloe-Marie
You said that you used 2 tutors for your references... were they from the same place? Or did you have 1 from one place and one from another?!

You could use two from the same place but I reckon it would be better to have one from school/ college/ uni and another from some activity with children that you are involved with. :biggrin:

2 weeks today until I am away, I have started packing..:biggrin: Can't wait to get away and see all the friends I have missed throughout the year!

I hope these 2 weeks are going to fly by. :yep:
tradingmyheartforyours
You could use two from the same place but I reckon it would be better to have one from school/ college/ uni and another from some activity with children that you are involved with. :biggrin:

2 weeks today until I am away, I have started packing..:biggrin: Can't wait to get away and see all the friends I have missed throughout the year!

I hope these 2 weeks are going to fly by. :yep:

Would a sixth form college referee be declined, as it's coming up to a year that i was there?!

Ahh really? Where abouts are you going? Is this your second year going? :smile:
I believe they have to be people you have worked with within the last 6 months although not 100% on that.
Reply 978
sam.hunton
I believe they have to be people you have worked with within the last 6 months although not 100% on that.

Im pretty sure its this also. I think they might make exceptions in some situations though because theirs bound to be people who've been say travelling for the past 6months etc.
Chloe-Marie
Would a sixth form college referee be declined, as it's coming up to a year that i was there?!

Ahh really? Where abouts are you going? Is this your second year going? :smile:

Are you at uni? or got a job? Maybe that would be more appropriate.

Yes, eeek I am going to Connecticut and yes this is my second year. :p:

Latest