Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe-Marie)
    Ahh cool, so would you email them, say your interested for next summer and that your thinking of going with BUNAC?! Then see what they say back? Or is it worth to write why you'd be a good person working there too?!

Thanks for all your help.
    Sell yourself... e.g. I will fit in at camp 'x' because I have had 5 years of 'y' and therefore could use it at camp.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool, so would you email them, say your interested for next summer and that your thinking of going with BUNAC?! Then see what they say back? Or is it worth to write why you'd be a good person working there too?!

Thanks for all your help.
    Would not reccomend this.

Firstly, camps won't even think about next years recruitment till much later in the year, secondly, they really dislike receiving emails from international staff. With very few exceptions they ONLY want to deal with BUNAC, CA, CCUSA etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Would not reccomend this.

Firstly, camps won't even think about next years recruitment till much later in the year, secondly, they really dislike receiving emails from international staff. With very few exceptions they ONLY want to deal with BUNAC, CA, CCUSA etc.
    Ahh ok, thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok, thanks for the advice.
    I heard the same, camps go through companies like Camp America because they want them to do the work of dealing with potential staff!

I suggest applying early - I applied in September and I was placed by November, not everyone will be that lucky but it helps to get in there early.

Also be open about the camps you would like to go to such a special needs camps etc as you'll have a higher chance of being placed as less people want to go to them. I'm off to a special needs camp on Mon (my first time) but I can let you how it goes!

Also over the summer try to do stuff that will look good on your application e.g volunteer with children, art courses or sport activites -it will all help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckillas)
    I heard the same, camps go through companies like Camp America because they want them to do the work of dealing with potential staff!

I suggest applying early - I applied in September and I was placed by November, not everyone will be that lucky but it helps to get in there early.

Also be open about the camps you would like to go to such a special needs camps etc as you'll have a higher chance of being placed as less people want to go to them. I'm off to a special needs camp on Mon (my first time) but I can let you how it goes!

Also over the summer try to do stuff that will look good on your application e.g volunteer with children, art courses or sport activites -it will all help!

Ooh, thanks for the advice.

Who are you going with this year? Are you feeling nervous about it all?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in an odd position. I'm not planning on applying to Camp America til 2011, but I'm an american citizen who lives in the UK. Does this mean it'll be cheaper for me? I already have my own American passport and Social Security number Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you wont need a visa being your an American Citizen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_The_Moose)
    I'm in an odd position. I'm not planning on applying to Camp America til 2011, but I'm an american citizen who lives in the UK. Does this mean it'll be cheaper for me? I already have my own American passport and Social Security number Anyone know?
    It would be much the same price as everyone else except you assumedly wouldn't have to apply for a visa

2 days guys, 2 days until I go!!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random question but do any camps offer foreign language lessons? I'm looking to apply in 2011 and would love to teach children French or Spanish!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another question, but if i looked into doing horse riding next year at a camp, what level of riding will I need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhx)
    Bit of a random question but do any camps offer foreign language lessons? I'm looking to apply in 2011 and would love to teach children French or Spanish!
    French isn't massively taught in America - it's a common stereotype that the two countries dislike each other, but as a massive 60%+ of Americans don't have a passport you're unlikely to find somewhere that needs it.
    However... if you're interested, you would benefit from applying to a Canadian work program - as many provinces in Canada are French speaking.

Spanish is another story: places like southern Florida you actually need a basic grasp of Spanish because of the influx of Cuban and South American people in the area. Spanish is America's 2nd language. You'd be better applying under Spanish for the US.

(Original post by Sarah_The_Moose)
    You won't need a visa but you might need to check that your SSN doesn't say anything about 'authorisation needed' on it. Mine does.
    You'd still have to pay the sevis fee, and medical insurance might be trickier.

(Original post by ponpon14)
    Sorry for another question, but if i looked into doing horse riding next year at a camp, what level of riding will I need?
    That all depends on what the specific camp is looking for - most will want to know if you are comptetant to 'Lead' or 'Assist' the activity.
    Obviously it is better to say you can lead. But they may want to know you're entire background -- I knew someone (totally unrelated) applied to assist cheerleading training after leading it at uni, and they were asked for a reference from a personal cheer coach, medical history, medals etc. Depends.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.