Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'd imagine you end up cruising the usa with fellow campers you've met during your stay id imagine for your last few month?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh just finishing my application had my interview which was brilliant!!! man im sooo excited! but my interviewer said it would really benefit me to do a video?! i reeeeeeeally don't know what to do in it! i cant stand filming myself any video peeps fancy helping me out?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the CCUSA Camp Canada applications open??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    ahhh just finishing my application had my interview which was brilliant!!! man im sooo excited! but my interviewer said it would really benefit me to do a video?! i reeeeeeeally don't know what to do in it! i cant stand filming myself any video peeps fancy helping me out?
    When did you apply? I submitted my application at the end of July, havent heard anything back yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexicle89)

I took less than £100 in cash by mistake, it ended up lasting maybe 2/3 weeks, but I took my cards with me and used them.
    If you have ccusa/bunac arrange your flight - you get a deducted cheque at the end of camp, but if you arrange your own flights you can get your cheques fornightly without anything taken away.
    Cashing 'checks' in the US is difficult, it's different than here because you can get it done instantly at walmart with a US drivers permit, otherwise without a US bank account its hard, most people just wait to cash it when they get home, so think of that when bringing money. I was lucky that I knew someone working at a bank so.

Bit different for me...

I took $200 in cash.. lasted with that for like a month! and I mostly spent my pay checks for travelling and for little bits I needed at walmart.

I was with Camp America so my flights were free.. no money deducted towards the end.

I managed to cash my checks fine! so did other people.
    You can either get an American to do it by 'signing over' the check to them. They then withdraw the money in cash out of their account for you. ( I did this a few times)

Or

I had to get a social security number when I was over there. Not sure about you bexicle89?
    but you can go to any National City bank and cash it there with a social security number and you can also do this with you passport (if you haven't got a social security number)
    I tried it in walmart on a few occasions didn't work though! :/

I was also told that we could not cash these checks at home.. because they are American checks. So if you are thinking of saving them all and cashing them when you get home. Don't!

What you can do though is ask if the money can be 'wired' through to your british account.
    I didn't recieve my last pay check.. so they are having to 'wire' the money through - but they need a 'swift code' and an 'ibank' number and all of your account details.. I'm still waiting for the money! hopefully will get it soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    When did you apply? I submitted my application at the end of July, havent heard anything back yet
    Don't worry its only the end of August!

Have you had your CRB? and does it say your application is circulating?
    because that's good if it does.

I waited 4-5 months before I heard anything... its very fustrating I know but try and be patient.

ReputationRep:
    crystal! i did my application the day it opened and selected an interviewer the next day! had my interview that week and im just doing the last bits....e.g. pics!
    has the interviewer not got back to you?!

ReputationRep:
    crystal! i did my application the day it opened and selected an interviewer the next day! had my interview that week and im just doing the last bits....e.g. pics!
    I've finished mine last week and nobody's got back to me yet either....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Don't worry its only the end of August!

Have you had your CRB? and does it say your application is circulating?
    because that's good if it does.

I waited 4-5 months before I heard anything... its very fustrating I know but try and be patient.
    My application has dissapeared off of footprints. I thought this was normal I have no idea what to do next. I've sent off my passport photos and references. What should I do? Shall I wait it out or contact them?

Nope, I haven't heard anything back. I'm getting worried now, as i've done all the application, sent off all that needed sending. And paid all upfront.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh thats weird man!? maybe you should select a different interviewer? one that will get back to you quicker!

ReputationRep:
    My application has dissapeared off of footprints. I thought this was normal I have no idea what to do next. I've sent off my passport photos and references. What should I do? Shall I wait it out or contact them?
    What do you mean by dissapeared ?

Try contacting them and maybe try changing your interviewer if you don't hear anything.

Have you gone with Camp America by the way or one of the other organisations like BUNAC, camp leaders..etc

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by dissapeared ?

Try contacting them and maybe try changing your interviewer if you don't hear anything.
    CCUSA. I can't review my application, or look at it, its just gone! So i clicked on camp counselors america again, and it just created a new application for me. Maybe i will contact them, because this doesn't seem right.

ReputationRep:
    CCUSA. I can't review my application, or look at it, its just gone! So i clicked on camp counselors america again, and it just created a new application for me. Maybe i will contact them, because this doesn't seem right.
    I went with Camp America so not sure if the application process it the same but that does seem a bit odd!! I would definately ring up&email as soon as you can.
    Have you payed your first payment aswel?

ReputationRep:
    I went with Camp America so not sure if the application process it the same but that does seem a bit odd!! I would definitely ring up&email as soon as you can.
    Have you payed your first payment aswel?
    I've paid my £299 in full, and its been taken out of my account.

ReputationRep:
    how long do you references have to be?

ReputationRep:
    how long do you references have to be?
    Laura who was your interviewer? How did it go?
    I've completed my application apart from adding the references and pics, paid and havn't heard anything yet. At what point did you get contacted?

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to apply for camp power but am having a change of heart and thinking I might go for a special needs camp. How much experience do you need? I have done a week residential at a special needs camp in the UK, taught swimming for a year to people with special needs, and done some other voluntary hospital/caring stuff. I'm a med student so I think it might be a good experience for me. Has anyone here been to a special needs camp? How much do you have to be involved in the personal care type stuff? I would be OK doing that but wanna be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    molly! my interviewer was nicola speers, the london catchment area, it was really good! just had a nice chat about things, nothing too serious, asked me like what i would do if i had $500 to create a day out for the kids etc. and just how you would handle some situations!
    basically as soon as you pay the £60 you can then select an interviewer and theyll get back to you. nothing really happens until you pay the first deposit!

ReputationRep:
    molly! my interviewer was nicola speers, the london catchment area, it was really good! just had a nice chat about things, nothing too serious, asked me like what i would do if i had $500 to create a day out for the kids etc. and just how you would handle some situations!
    basically as soon as you pay the £60 you can then select an interviewer and theyll get back to you. nothing really happens until you pay the first deposit!
    I have already paid the deposit (about a week ago) and still nothing! I have Victoria something or other can't remember. Still waiting for her to get back to me...

ReputationRep:
    oooh man thats weird?! if your in the london catchment area id definitly recommend nicola!! she got back to me the next day !
    godddd i want my references to hurry up! who have you used?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.