Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Camp America 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had Nicola last year, she's lovely!!

Still waiting for CCUSA to get their damn Canada apps up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I was planning to apply for camp power but am having a change of heart and thinking I might go for a special needs camp. How much experience do you need? I have done a week residential at a special needs camp in the UK, taught swimming for a year to people with special needs, and done some other voluntary hospital/caring stuff. I'm a med student so I think it might be a good experience for me. Has anyone here been to a special needs camp? How much do you have to be involved in the personal care type stuff? I would be OK doing that but wanna be prepared.
    Hey
    definitely do go to a special needs camp!Very hard... but amazing!Don't go as camp power! I got to know the kitchen staff who were hired as camp power they wished they would have come as a counsellor! You don't need much experience at all with special needs.Just be really keen! and say you want more experience for when you become a doctor! I did it because I'm starting nursing next march so its definitely given me some experience! there was also another girl who was a med student. A lot of people - i'd say 80% had no experience in care before hand!
    About the personal care.. It depends on what campers you get really!
    Some of the counsellors got worse campers than others.. there were some campers who couldn't feed themsevles, go to the toilet & wash but then I had a camper who had cerebral palsy and she could do most things herself!She just needed to be reminded to brush her teeth etc..

There were different camps every week which was good! I'll tell you a bit about them:

1st week- Adults with HIV - very sad-All were independant.

2nd week - TBI - adults with traumatic brain injuries - this week was amazing, most of them were in wheelchairs & needed help with personal care and a lot had a really bad memory because of their injury so they would constantly repeat/forget things.

3rd week- Limberlost - Kids who were underprivilaged/came from bad backgrounds - this was probably one of my favourite camps - although the children were badly behaved - it was still good though.

4th week- was a day camp for kids with Autism! - LOVED this one! You had to stay with them all the time because I lot had the tendency to run off. And they don't always do what you tell them to do.

5th week - Children with cerebral palsy/spinal bifida - this was a really awesome camp - lots were in wheelchairs and needed help with personal care but then there were some who were pretty independant.

6th week - adults with cerebral palsy & bi polar& downs syndrome - really enjoyed this one! some needed personal care/some didn't

7th week - camp coco - this was kids with cancer or if there sis/bro had cancer. very very sad as some kids had to have there chemo while they were at camp. Really enjoyed this one - they are so different from kids who are well - they aren't naughty and appreciate things more!

feel free to ask me any questions about it or PM me

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I started my application for Camp America last year but found the application process a bit trickier than i had anticipated so put it off until camp for summer 2010 when i could get a bit more organised!
    I've decided to apply through CCUSA this year, and so far have heard only good things so am pleased.
    I just wanted to ask people what they thought about the counsellor vs camp power roles. I have heaps of experience in roles that would suit working in the camp office, or restaurant, but little experience looking after children. Are the camp power roles really that bad?? A lot of people seem to say they are not as good jobs in this thread?
    Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    i have applied online with CCUSA roughly 2 weeks ago, sent off my return and complete doc, passport pics and have paid the amount in full, but have not heard anything about an interview date or such.

Do you know how long it take for CCUSA to get in touch to arrnage this?

ReputationRep:
    Just got news of my interview so now I need to try and sort out the references which looks set to be a bit of an issue. Hmmm at least things are progressing though now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Just got news of my interview so now I need to try and sort out the references which looks set to be a bit of an issue. Hmmm at least things are progressing though now!
    Yes, i've been given info about my interview too.

References was an issue for myself, although i think it has all been sorted. I know one of them has anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faye_b)
    i have applied online with CCUSA roughly 2 weeks ago, sent off my return and complete doc, passport pics and have paid the amount in full, but have not heard anything about an interview date or such.

Do you know how long it take for CCUSA to get in touch to arrnage this?
    I applied over a month ago (the day applications opened) And i have heard nothing. Im going to have to phone them to see what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)

What Company are you applying through??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    I applied over a month ago (the day applications opened) And i have heard nothing. Im going to have to phone them to see what's going on.
    have you received the emails saying welcome to CCUSA..send in ref's n photo's etc etc?

i dont like this waiting around much espech as i have paid it all!

ReputationRep:
    people who are applying through camp america! are you getting a written reference or using the open character reference sheet? i think its gona be easier with the open character thingy but i dont know what the directors will prefer?!

dammmm these pesky references, so hard to chase up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Bit different for me...

I took $200 in cash.. lasted with that for like a month! and I mostly spent my pay checks for travelling and for little bits I needed at walmart.

I was with Camp America so my flights were free.. no money deducted towards the end.
    Your flights aren't 'free'. If you didn't pay for them, your flights are taken out of your paycheck, Bunac took about $1580 away, I think CA take about maybe $1800? Maybe that's why you're missing a check?

(Original post by Holamigo)
    I managed to cash my checks fine! so did other people.
    You can either get an American to do it by 'signing over' the check to them. They then withdraw the money in cash out of their account for you. ( I did this a few times)

Or

I had to get a social security number when I was over there. Not sure about you bexicle89?
    but you can go to any National City bank and cash it there with a social security number and you can also do this with you passport (if you haven't got a social security number)
    I tried it in walmart on a few occasions didn't work though! :/

I was also told that we could not cash these checks at home.. because they are American checks. So if you are thinking of saving them all and cashing them when you get home. Don't!
    That's really silly to be told. :rolleyes:
    I cashed my last check in Britain, all banks can cash int'l checks. It just cost about a fiver for me. It's a lot more secure than a direct transfer as both banks have legit correlation with each other. Also no matter about transfering money or cashing a cheque, your wage will be subject to both banks exchange rate policies- a lot less than XE's, which means you lose money anyway.
    So yeah ideally cash all your checks when you get em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    people who are applying through camp america! are you getting a written reference or using the open character reference sheet? i think its gona be easier with the open character thingy but i dont know what the directors will prefer?!

dammmm these pesky references, so hard to chase up!
    I know!!

I think i'm going to be using the open character reference. I read somewhere that it was the preferred method?

I also think it's a lot easier for the person writing the reference too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    I know!!

I think i'm going to be using the open character reference. I read somewhere that it was the preferred method?

I also think it's a lot easier for the person writing the reference too!
    ahhh that makes my life A LOT easier...i mean i'm using old school teachers who haven't seen me in a year :| so its a bit hard making them right a good reference which is relevant!

maaaan i want my application processed sooooo bad psssh silly teachers!

ReputationRep:
    and typo...god im thick..."right" = write

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    ahhh that makes my life A LOT easier...i mean i'm using old school teachers who haven't seen me in a year :| so its a bit hard making them right a good reference which is relevant!

maaaan i want my application processed sooooo bad psssh silly teachers!
    SAME! I'm sooo excited already! lol I've got all my pictures, certificates ready to upload... kinda doing that now.

I'm abroad at the moment, so fingers crossed my references will be done by the time i get back home!

ReputationRep:
    have you received the emails saying welcome to CCUSA..send in ref's n photo's etc etc?

i dont like this waiting around much espech as i have paid it all!
    The only email i have received is the email telling me that i have paid
    I've sent all my references and photos etc, as it was in the initial application, but my application has disappeared from footprints

EDIT:
    Haha, i've just phoned them, and i'm logging into the wrong account, i unknowingly created 2 accounts!!! My application is done and all that. And the guy on the phone said that interviews for CCUSA applicants won't actually start until October. PHEW! Panic over!

ReputationRep:
    The only email i have received is the email telling me that i have paid
    I've sent all my references and photos etc, as it was in the initial application, but my application has disappeared from footprints

EDIT:
    Haha, i've just phoned them, and i'm logging into the wrong account, i unknowingly created 2 accounts!!! My application is done and all that. And the guy on the phone said that interviews for CCUSA applicants won't actually start until October. PHEW! Panic over!
    haha at least you now no it hasnt totally disapeard..
    By "photo's" do you mean the passport photo's?

ReputationRep:
    haha at least you now no it hasnt totally disapeard..
    By "photo's" do you mean the passport photo's?
    Yeah! But i wasn't sure which part of the application you could send the photo collage, so i just sent that with the passport photos, oh well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! But i wasn't sure which part of the application you could send the photo collage, so i just sent that with the passport photos, oh well :rolleyes:
    Collage!
    We didn't NEED to do that did we, That was optional right.
    ((i'm Hopeing it was anyway))

ReputationRep:
    Collage!
    We didn't NEED to do that did we, That was optional right.
    ((i'm Hopeing it was anyway))
    It was optional, i just got bored one day, so decided to do it

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.