Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have recently (well, today) decided to take a gap year instead of going to university. Camp America looks like a great thing to do the next summer! But I will probably spend the year in France working as either an Au Pair or a Chalet Girl so how can I organise my Visa in time? Especially with all the bother of going to the embnassy itself! Would it be possible to organise by November? Also, how much do you get paid and how much does all the stuff to get there and insurance etc actually cost??
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faye_b)
    What Company are you applying through??
    I'm going through Camp America. Seriously need to sort of the reference situation though havn't done that!
    Are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Iv applied for this year, got my interview in 3 weeks, quite a while to wait, is this long wait expected when going for interview or does it just depend on your interviewer?

ReputationRep:
    Iv applied for this year, got my interview in 3 weeks, quite a while to wait, is this long wait expected when going for interview or does it just depend on your interviewer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahparker90)
    ahh man that sucks! which area are you from? well the plus side is that you can get all your references and pics done before that and you only need to add to the application before your done! i had my interview two weeks ago and still sorting my references!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I'm going through Camp America. Seriously need to sort of the reference situation though havn't done that!
    Are you applying?
    Yeah i'm applying Through CCUSA. i have done one ref but need to get my other 2 sorted. so annoying chasing the people to do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Hi

I have recently (well, today) decided to take a gap year instead of going to university. Camp America looks like a great thing to do the next summer! But I will probably spend the year in France working as either an Au Pair or a Chalet Girl so how can I organise my Visa in time? Especially with all the bother of going to the embnassy itself! Would it be possible to organise by November? Also, how much do you get paid and how much does all the stuff to get there and insurance etc actually cost??
    Thanks!
    oo the year in France sounds rather interesting !

Might be a bit hard to organise camp america over there tho! but i'm sure if you apply now and get a place soon it will be ok! might be a bit tricky just flying back for Visa though.. but you can get cheap flights on ryanair i'm sure?

You organise your visa when a camp offers you a place. I applied in Jan and then got placed in May - 3 weeks before I was due to fly out!
    So I had a week to organise my visa. So you got to be prepared that they will tell you in short notice and yes I think it would be possible to organise by November!
    With CA you get payed around $1000 for 9 weeks.
    All the Camp America payments came to around £900 including medical insurance and optional baggage insurance!

feel free to ask anymore questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura____x)
    ahh man that sucks! which area are you from? well the plus side is that you can get all your references and pics done before that and you only need to add to the application before your done! i had my interview two weeks ago and still sorting my references!
    Iv got my refrences sorted, just want to get through the process now as quick as possible, I might email my interviewer and ask if she can do an earlier date. Im in the London area.

ReputationRep:
    Iv got my refrences sorted, just want to get through the process now as quick as possible, I might email my interviewer and ask if she can do an earlier date. Im in the London area.
    ahh wow thats pretty sweeet! i was in the london catchment area id recommend using nicole speers...north london person. she got back to me straight away and was sooooo lovely and helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Iv re arranged my interview its now the week I get back to London so Im happy now

(Original post by Holamigo)
    A special needs camp! it was amazing!!!
    What kind of activities did you do at the special needs camp? Im thinking of applying for one as a prefrence and wanted some more info.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of activities did you do at the special needs camp? Im thinking of applying for one as a prefrence and wanted some more info.

erm activities we had were ; Swimming, Archery & Paintballing, Night hikes, Canoeing, going on the pedal boats, Arts & crafts, Horse riding, nature activities.. such as 'outcamp' (cooking dinner outside over the camp fire) , Sports(soccer,american football, basketball, softball...)

ReputationRep:
    Also someone else here who is wanting to do this next summer...so hello

I filled in the form and have paid next comes the tricky refs! Got 2 people to agree so far but not sure on the 3rd (I'm with CCUSA so need 3) thinking of asking uni but really don't think they know me that well, mmm....

I'm currently a mix of nervous and exicted - never been aboard alone before so am a i bit frighten of it all!

ReputationRep:
    erm activities we had were ; Swimming, Archery & Paintballing, Night hikes, Canoeing, going on the pedal boats, Arts & crafts, Horse riding, nature activities.. such as 'outcamp' (cooking dinner outside over the camp fire) , Sports(soccer,american football, basketball, softball...)
    Thanks, sounds great, I cant wait to get the interview out the way and do the next stage of application x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckillas)
    Also someone else here who is wanting to do this next summer...so hello

I filled in the form and have paid next comes the tricky refs! Got 2 people to agree so far but not sure on the 3rd (I'm with CCUSA so need 3) thinking of asking uni but really don't think they know me that well, mmm....

I'm currently a mix of nervous and exicted - never been aboard alone before so am a i bit frighten of it all!
    I got my two references from my 2 college tutors.

Try not to be too nervous! Think, its not till next summer! you still have ages yet!
    I had never been abroad alone before either.. but its honestly not as bad as it seems. I used to always travel on my own on trains though!

I actually met up with a group of 6 others at the airport who were on the same flight and going to my camp! we all wore our red camp america t-shirts
    You make so many friends out there that it doesn't even feel like your abroad on your own!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, sounds great, I cant wait to get the interview out the way and do the next stage of application x
    yeah bet you can't wait to get it outta the way!
    My interview was really relaxed and informal - she just chatted the whole time about her experience at camp! haha. So just sound really keen & interested and ask lots of questions!

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to have my interview on Sept 14th - but I really have a feeling that my references won't be sorted by then as I've had a few people say they can't do them because of the official stamp/letterhead issue.

If I put it off for a bit longer is it going to affect my application? My interviewer is in London, whereas I go to Uni in Sheffield so may have to delay it for some time.

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to have my interview on Sept 14th - but I really have a feeling that my references won't be sorted by then as I've had a few people say they can't do them because of the official stamp/letterhead issue.

If I put it off for a bit longer is it going to affect my application? My interviewer is in London, whereas I go to Uni in Sheffield so may have to delay it for some time.
    Ask your interviewer if you can have the interview before you get the references.. they may allow it
    Because I remember my reference didn't have the date on in my interview so she couldn't take it.. and so I put it online once I recieved the reference through the post with the date on!

ReputationRep:
    Ask your interviewer if you can have the interview before you get the references.. they may allow it
    Because I remember my reference didn't have the date on in my interview so she couldn't take it.. and so I put it online once I recieved the reference through the post with the date on!
    How can I do that? Cos it doesnt really explain how to discuss it without accepting or declining.

ReputationRep:
    How can I do that? Cos it doesnt really explain how to discuss it without accepting or declining.
    can you not just email your interviewer?? i emailed mine quite a lot before the interview.

ReputationRep:
    can you not just email your interviewer?? i emailed mine quite a lot before the interview.
    Okay I will try that but I emailed her before and she never replied so I assumed that it hadnt worked properly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.