Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?

edit: I mean in a religous term but to be married in law is nothing wrong

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You said you didn't agree with gay marriage. That is not homophobic, but the reasons behind it probably are.

ReputationRep:
    yeaa cuz your basically saying gay people dont deserve the same rights as straight people which is homophobic

ReputationRep:
    that mans homophobic

ReputationRep:
    no, i think you just expressed your opinion.. you didnt say you couldnt tolerate gay marriage you just said you didnt agree with it.. as long as you're tolerant you can agree or disagree, it doesnt make you a homophobe!

ReputationRep:
    i can see why he would say it..but it wasnt really homophobic
    why don't you agree with it?
    how is gay marriage going to affect you lol?

ReputationRep:
    no you're not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    To a certain extent, it doesn't really matter if you're homophobic as long as you respect the right of gay people to enjoy the same rights as everyone else. We live in a liberal society and people should be allowed to hold whatever views they desire, even if it's racist or homophobic.

For example, you personally disagree with gay marriage but you recognise that it's wrong to deny gay people equal rights. That's very sensible, as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeaa cuz your basically saying gay people dont deserve the same rights as straight people which is homophobic
    He never said nor implied that, all he said was that he doesn't agree! stop talking out of your arse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sticky tape)
    no, i think you just expressed your opinion.. you didnt say you couldnt tolerate gay marriage you just said you didnt agree with it.. as long as you're tolerant you can agree or disagree, it doesnt make you a homophobe!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    The only thing wrong is the man calling you wrong, when he's wrong about you being wrong in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    To all those saying because he doesn't agree with it that makes him homophobic, surely its tolerance, or lack of it, which makes one homophobic? So in this case, no, that was not homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    im not saying that, they can still be law spouses or something but not married

(Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

Only you can say if you are a homophobe.

I agree with you on what you said, and don't feel that it's really homophobic. What I believe is that marriage should be reserved for heterosexual couples, but there is no reason not to celebrate real love between people - I would just not use marriage vows or a wedding ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    You said you didn't agree with gay marriage. That is not homophobic, but the reasons behind it probably are.
    my reason is religion and how its a sacrament (if its done in a church)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Only you can say if you are a homophobe.

I agree with you on what you said, and don't feel that it's really homophobic. What I believe is that marriage should be reserved for heterosexual couples, but there is no reason not to celebrate real love between people - I would just not use marriage vows or a wedding ceremony.
    Thank you thats what I mean, I dont have a problem with them being parters and have a civil thing but I dont want the marriage (as the bit in bold)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    He never said nor implied that, all he said was that he doesn't agree! stop talking out of your arse!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsweek)
    To a certain extent, it doesn't really matter if you're homophobic as long as you respect the right of gay people to enjoy the same rights as everyone else. We live in a liberal society and people should be allowed to hold whatever views they desire, even if it's racist or homophobic.

For example, you personally disagree with gay marriage but you recognise that it's wrong to deny gay people equal rights. That's very sensible, as far as I'm concerned.
    thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.