ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    thanks
    Anytime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    i can see why he would say it..but it wasnt really homophobic
    why don't you agree with it?
    how is gay marriage going to affect you lol?
    - like I dont want the religous things but I think they should still have civil partnerships and things but not marrage
    - it isnt but im allowed my view am I not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeaa cuz your basically saying gay people dont deserve the same rights as straight people which is homophobic
    Er, gays do have the same rights as straight people - they have the right to marry someone of the opposite gender.
    I can't see homophobia in the original posters statement at all, the man who called him a homophobe is wrong to do so. The poster may well be homophobic for all I know, and has the right to be, but we cannot tell whether or not he is from his statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    - like I dont want the religous things but I think they should still have civil partnerships and things but not marrage
    - it isnt but im allowed my view am I not?
    Yep of course you are, I thought a bit like that, but then I was like I don't care, its not going to affect me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I may not agree with black people getting married but its not my place to stop someone doing it.

Am I a racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    Er, gays do have the same rights as straight people - they have the right to marry someone of the opposite gender.
    I can't see homophobia in the original posters statement at all, the man who called him a homophobe is wrong to do so. The poster may well be homophobic for all I know, and has the right to be, but we cannot tell whether or not he is from his statement.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    Thank you thats what I mean, I dont have a problem with them being parters and have a civil thing but I dont want the marriage (as the bit in bold)
    If you think that the term 'marriage' should be reserved - for religious reasons, I presume - for heterosexual people, then I assume you would support a call for the government to get itself out of the marriage business, yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    That's meaningless because they're gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?
    Nah, he's just heterophobic.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't really homophobic, that guy was probably an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Nah, he's just heterophobic.
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    You have the right to say whatever you like in a free society, we shouldnt be afraid to offend people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?
    yeah, that is a homophobic comment, because you're saying that you think gay people shouldn't have the right to get married. they're human beings as well, they deserve to have equal rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    yeah, that is a homophobic comment, because you're saying that you think gay people shouldn't have the right to get married. they're human beings as well, they deserve to have equal rights.
    i mean as in churchs and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by we_are_motherwell)
    You have the right to say whatever you like in a free society, we shouldnt be afraid to offend people.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    i mean as in churchs and stuff
    well if they want to get married through the church, why should we stop them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesop)
    I may not agree with black people getting married but its not my place to stop someone doing it.

Am I a racist?
    That's retarded because it's not the same context. There are black males and females. Homosexual unions are same sex, which is why that in itself is the issue. I don't agree with it. Sue me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LH123)
    To all those saying because he doesn't agree with it that makes him homophobic, surely its tolerance, or lack of it, which makes one homophobic? So in this case, no, that was not homophobic.
    But if you don't think that gay people should have the right to marry then surely you can't really claim to tolerate the gay community. You can't say "I tolerate you but I don't think that we should have equal rights because you're different." That's dicrimination, direct or indirect and it is hardly the epitome of tolerance. Racist people might "tolerate" other races but they're still racist if they feel the need to distinguish between people on the basis of the colour of their skin. As far as I'm concerned, you're homophobic if you feel the need to judge somebody because of their sexual orientation. It's as smiple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    That's retarded because it's not the same context. There are black males and females. Homosexual unions are same sex, which is why that in itself is the issue.
    You argue that it's not the 'same context', but you have failed to explain why the analogy does not work.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexual reporting in.

Gay marriage should not be allowed.

Marriage is a religious union, and religion (a lot of the time) does not agree with homosexuality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.