Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like homophobes - they're usually good in bed.

I agree with your stance and I don't think you're homophobic. People mistake "homophobia" for "disagreeing with a liberal stance on homosexuality"

I've been disciplined at uni for being homophobic. Now that's a first :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    Dont worry God is homophobic
    He's also a racist, misogynistic miserable fella too. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    hmmm yes it is.

But its completely ridiculous to have a go at someone for this. They are having a go because of an opinion you hold. You dont speak out or try to influence other people. And people should respect your views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by we_are_motherwell)
    You have the right to say whatever you like in a free society, we shouldnt be afraid to offend people.
    Lol,

You really don't! I dare you to go out and deny the holocaust or something.

I love you free speech morons. Let me know when you get back to the real world. :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    I really don't understand how or why you have neg rep. You're one of the most sensible people to ever post on this forum.
    Thanks, Mr Deeds! Very few members of TSR happen to think the same, that's why I have neg rep. But if I keep getting bad reputation just for being opinionated, then I don't really mind, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    I like homophobes - they're usually good in bed.

I agree with your stance and I don't think you're homophobic. People mistake "homophobia" for "disagreeing with a liberal stance on homosexuality"

I've been disciplined at uni for being homophobic. Now that's a first :afraid:
    Lol, elaborate?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Thanks, Mr Deeds! Very few members of TSR happen to think the same, that's why I have neg rep. But if I keep getting bad reputation just for being opinionated, then I don't really mind, tbh.
    You're welcome, keep up the good work lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsweek)
    Race and culture are not the same thing.

For example, I have no problem with Arabs or Asians. In fact, I think it's irrational to formulate an opinion about someone based on their skin colour. However, there's nothing wrong with formulating an opinion about someone on the basis of their culture.

For example, many Muslims believe that gay people should be murdered. In fact, a poll carried out recently found that the vast majority of Muslims in this country think that homosexuality should be criminalised. Why should I respect such vile and dictatorial people? I sincerely hope that over time, their cultural views will be softened up.
    I can understand that some Muslim laws may seem irrational, but when you speak about "culture" in general, it makes it seem like a rather racist comment. If there are things about Muslim culture that you think should be improved, then you need to specify. Saying that all muslims should adopt our culture, however, is a rather incoherent thing to say. There are many positive and negative aspects about their religion, just as there is with ours.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know that most muslims in this country think that homosexuality should be criminalised? And why do you think it's wrong to judge someone based on their skin colour, but that it isn't wrong to judge someone based on their culture? That doesn't make much sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?
    In this case, no. There's only one example of intolerance in this (rather singular) anecdote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsweek)
    Of course, people should have the right to express their views in a non-violent manner. However, whether what they say is homophobic (or racist) is another matter and the two shouldn't be confused. The fact that a view is racist or homophobic (or generally offensive in general) shouldn't mean that it ought be censored.
    Exactly, just cos you think a view is racist or homophoibc or sexist etc...does need to be censored...cos there is right to challenge. You should be allowed to say what you want, and when you want...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Exactly, just cos you think a view is racist or homophoibc or sexist etc...does need to be censored...cos there is right to challenge. You should be allowed to say what you want, and when you want...
    But you're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Lol, elaborate?
    I think I already told you? I'll regail if this thread is taken over as Gay Chat again :p:

ReputationRep:
    But you're not.
    Your not allowed in case it offends someone...which I think is stupid.

I don't want to seem off topic...do you remember a woman who was a christain praying for her patient. I am sure you come across that. I am muslim, I find it welcolming at least there is someone who is caring. It is nice as it suggest someone cares...

sorry edited hope it still makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    And people should respect your views
    No, people should respect his right to hold his views. There's no reason to respect the views themselves.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't may seem off topic, that woman who was a christain praying for her patient. I am sure you come across that. I am muslim, I find a) probably hurt I am going to die, even then I find it welcolming at least there is someone who is caring. It is nice...
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but can I get this bit in English please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    No, people should respect his right to hold his views. There's no reason to respect the views themselves.
    thats what i meant yea.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but can I get this bit in English please?
    look above, edited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I can understand that some Muslim laws may seem irrational, but when you speak about "culture" in general, it makes it seem like a rather racist comment.
    It may be crude or simplistic, but I still don't think it's racist.

(Original post by Eva2)
    If there are things about Muslim culture that you think should be improved, then you need to specify.
    Alright. I think the misogyny, homophobia, lack of respect for free speech and general intolerance in the Muslim community ought to improve.

(Original post by Eva2)
    There are many positive and negative aspects about their religion
    I don't think there's anything particularly positive. I mean, it's condemnation of such things as racism is commendable but such an attitude isn't exclusive to Islam.

(Original post by Eva2)
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know that most muslims in this country think that homosexuality should be criminalised?
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pe...im-homophobia/

(Original post by Eva2)
    And why do you think it's wrong to judge someone based on their skin colour, but that it isn't wrong to judge someone based on their culture? That doesn't make much sense...
    I think it does make sense. Firstly, a person is born with his or her skin colour and cannot change it - this is not the same with culture. Secondly, a person's skin colour doesn't say anything about that person, so it's nonsensical to make a judgement about that person on the basis of skin colour. However, a person's cultural heritage does say a lot about a person because you're able to make predictions about that persons views.

ReputationRep:
    Just to finish off your sentence: You should be allowed to say what you want and when you want, as long as it isn't offensive to other people and as long as you're not trying to enforce your views on others. That isn't unreasonable, you know. We have to learn to respect each other. What kind of world would we live in if people were insulting each other all the time?

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all mate. Just cover your ass next time to be more polite.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.